U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times

Advertisements

Regional stereotypes within countries

Basically an Asian version of this thread I created. Do people from certain states/regions/cities have stereotypical traits, particularly personality/character traits?

For example, southern Chinese are seen as more mercantile and entrepreneural (I know i spelled that wrong lol), while Northerners are gruff and conservative. Or Shanghai women are stuck-up, while those from rural Hunan or something are friendly and down to earth.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Regional stereotypes within countries

Basically an Asian version of this thread I created. Do people from certain states/regions/cities have stereotypical traits, particularly personality/character traits?

For example, southern Chinese are seen as more mercantile and entrepreneural (I know i spelled that wrong lol), while Northerners are gruff and conservative. Or Shanghai women are stuck-up, while those from rural Hunan or something are friendly and down to earth.
the southern chinese stereotype also holds true in the Philippines...chinese are usually seen as business men...and majority of chinese in the Philippines come from southern china

another is indians who ride on their mopeds trying to sell you stuff you dont need on credit...5-6

Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Even in China people from the north and the south don't like each other (not seriously).

Other things: girls from Sichuan are good looking but "flippant". It is kind of proved by evidence though, because Sichuan has the highest divorce rate among provinces in China.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 AM

I'm curious to hear the regional stereotypes of India, if anyone knows of any.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM

this is Manila....children drinking vodka...lol just seperate from Philippines already....wtf
you can hear the german guy in the background egging them on
Only in the Philippines | Facebook

in my hometown children study from 6 AM to 6 PM then help out their parents with work....
while these halfwits in Manila let their children drink alcohol till they pass out

difference between manilenos and visayans....not only race...but culture

Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM

^ That's shocking, just like the children in Indonesia smoking (some have even become addicts!) but studying from 6AM to 6PM is a bit rough on the little tykes too.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ That's shocking, just like the children in Indonesia smoking (some have even become addicts!) but studying from 6AM to 6PM is a bit rough on the little tykes too.
well I know its shocking....I wouldnt be suprised if that was a prostitution den

well you have to understand it from the view of us visayans,,,education is the only oppurtunity for us
sometimes parents of visayans have to work 3 times as much to pay for their children's education...so you see why studying for such long hours is necessary for visayan chilldren

Last edited by ejay1; 01-22-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
this is Manila....children drinking vodka...lol just seperate from Philippines already....wtf
you can hear the german guy in the background egging them on
Only in the Philippines | Facebook

in my hometown children study from 6 AM to 6 PM then help out their parents with work....
while these halfwits in Manila let their children drink alcohol till they pass out

difference between manilenos and visayans....not only race...but culture
Dumbest post ever. This is not a difference in race. You're the only person in the world who thinks this.

The difference is small city vs big city. And you can see this in the US. Someone from a place like Indianapolis would complain how crime ridden a city like Chicago is. Back in the early 90s, NYC was very crime-ridden, so people from small cities complained about the big bad city. Not a difference in race.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Dumbest post ever. This is not a difference in race. You're the only person in the world who thinks this.

The difference is small city vs big city. And you can see this in the US. Someone from a place like Indianapolis would complain how crime ridden a city like Chicago is. Back in the early 90s, NYC was very crime-ridden, so people from small cities complained about the big bad city. Not a difference in race.
Im guessing demographics may come to play as well

Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Im guessing demographics may come to play as well
even if you think the difference has something to do with race, there's not a difference in race between the people of Manila and the people of other major cities in the Philippines. No one has noted the difference except you. Unless more Chinese people in Manila counts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or