Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarah211 View Post
Because all the South East Asians on here are jealous. I'd be jealous myself if I hailed from Manila.
Is that you ejay?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is that you ejay?
No..he is a mollucan by the name of gdlp22

Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 AM

55 posts, read 130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
No..he is a mollucan by the name of gdlp22
I don't speak Tagalog gibberish. Anyways, it's funny to see the South East Asians deflecting from my truthful post.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
Because all the South East Asians on here are jealous. I'd be jealous myself if I hailed from Manila.
I am not from Manila. Are you from Beijing?
I don't know any SE Asian who wants to move to Beijing. In fact, Jet Li became a Singaporean citizen.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM

55 posts, read 130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I am not from Manila. Are you from Beijing?
I don't know any SE Asian who wants to move to Beijing. In fact, Jet Li became a Singaporean citizen.
Every Pinoy on here is clamoring about how they are Chinese and how they can pass as Chinese in Hong Kong.

I don't know any Chinese who are doing vise versa, claiming how they have Filipino heritage.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
This thread was fun while it lasted.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Every Pinoy on here is clamoring about how they are Chinese and how they can pass as Chinese in Hong Kong.

I don't know any Chinese who are doing vise versa, claiming how they have Filipino heritage.
Why all the hatred against people from the Philippines??

Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Why all the hatred against people from the Philippines??
I am wondering the same thing!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
There's always a loophole to that. The Chinese use proxy sites to access Facebook, so no worries.

Apart from air pollution, Beijing and much of Northern China are also suffering from increasing desertification too. Winds and sands from the Gobi have made quick inroads into the city limits, with occasional dust storms.
Regarding proxy servers, some people do that but many don't. My wife's family is all back there, and none of them do- they just resign themselves to the fact that they have no access to Facebook (Youtube is also blocked, by the way). And the Chinese media/government has downplayed Facebook so much that when my wife asks them if they use facebook for their business or personal stuff, they act as if it's some unknown site that has no real use, sort of a "why would I use that?" reaction.

And not regarding your post but just as a general response to the OP, I was there briefly last year (just for a a day and a half during a layover on the way to Guangzhou) and my impression was that it truly is a run down, dirty, dull looking place. Even when you fly in across the city it just looks like a 3rd world city with some modern buildings mixed in. Maybe I'm a bit of a "developed world" snob in that regard, I see all the cities in China like this, there are some modern parts of course but so many of them are just so depressing in how run down so much of them are, or how spartan so many buildings and homes are- but Beijing was much worse in this regard from what little I saw.

And regarding air pollution, we sure got to experience that. They had some fog that set in when we landed that was mixed with heavy, heavy air pollution to the point of not even being able to see the planes on the taxiway from the windows at the gate. At first we thought it was just fog, but as we went down to the ticketing area people were coming and going in/out of the terminal and whenever the doors would open this strong, nasty odor would flood in that actually irritated our throats enough to make us cough and make our eyes water each time. I had never seen anything like it, just absolutely disgusting.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
And the Chinese media/government has downplayed Facebook so much that when my wife asks them if they use facebook for their business or personal stuff, they act as if it's some unknown site that has no real use, sort of a "why would I use that?" reaction.
China has its own version of Facebook (Weibo etc.), Youtube (youku, todou), and even Google (Baidu).
Since 99% Chinese are not fluent in English, why would they be interested in American products, if there are some substitutes in China?
Some smaller countries do not have such big virtual social networks as China does, and thus they rely on American products.

90% Chinese do not have any relatives living overseas either, so a "global" social network is truly useless to them.

FYI: Facebook etc. do collect your personal information and use your personal information for profit. That is why I do not use FB at all, even though I live in the US and work in IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia