U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Trimac20, you honestly answered your own question as to why most do not care for Beijing.

The city of Beijing is dirty and the air pollution reaches dangerous levels. I have not even mentioned the fact it's located in China, which means Beijing is second world and communist.

Hong Kong is the best choice for a traveler wanting to get a taste of Chinese culture and it can be accomplished in a first world environment without wearing a mask.
Rome is polluted too but still millions of people go there.
For short-term tourists pollution is not that important. There are good days in Beijing too. Just avoid winter.

Communist? huh?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,872,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
For short-term tourists pollution is not that important. There are good days in Beijing too. Just avoid winter.

Communist? huh?

I do not understand the bolded. Are you impying Beijing is seperate from China and not ran by a Communist government?

Also, pollution is a concern in the short term. Even in the summer, pollution is terrible.

Last edited by Momotaro; 02-08-2013 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM

582 posts, read 994,284 times
Quote:

Communist? huh?
I have been to Rome and did not experience high pollution levels or have any problems breathing. Beijing is one of the worst cities for pollution and ranks at the top of all list with third world places like Bangladesh, Pakistan and India.

A poster in this thread stated his visit was four days and two of them were spent in a hotel because the air quality was so horrible. I stand by my earlier post - I have zero interest in Beijing, Shanghai or China as a country. Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo or Singapore are more desired for a reason and it's because the quality of life for natives and tourists are higher.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 02-08-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I do not understand the bolded. Are you impying Beijing is seperate from China and not ran by a Communist government?

Also, pollution is a concern in the short term. Even in the summer, pollution is terrible.
China has private corporations. Why is it communist? Do you know what communist means?

Millions of people visit Beijing every year and many work there. You guess what? They didn't die.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I have been to Rome and did not experience high pollution levels or have any problems breathing. Beijing is one of the worst cities for pollution and ranks at the top of all list with third world places like Bangladesh, Pakistan and India.

A poster in this thread stated his visit was four days and for two of them were spent in a hotel because the air quality was so horrible. I stand by my earlier post - I have zero interests in Beijing, Shanghai or China as a country. Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo or Singapore are more desired for a reason and it's because the quality of life for natives and tourists are higher.
I lived in Beijing for four years and I went to Rome too (in June).
So it's not just hearsay.

Hong Kong is a part of China for your interest.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
China has private corporations. Why is it communist? Do you know what communist means?

Millions of people visit Beijing every year and many work there. You guess what? They didn't die.

I do, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China
Communist Party of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://english.gov.cn/about.htm
GOV.CN

Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 PM

China is ruled by Chinese Communists Party, but that doesn't automatically mean it is a communist country.
OMG

Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
China is ruled by Chinese Communists Party, but that doesn't automatically mean it is a communist country.
OMG
Any country ruled by a Communist Party without any alternative parties is a communist state to me. It may be defined as communism with Chinese characteristics, but as long as the party does not change its name, who am I to argue that they are fake Communists?

Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:

There are also people who visited North Korea and didn't die. What's the point?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
OMG

Wow you really do buy into state run media huh? It is by every essential modern definition Communist.

Communism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just because a shark is named a shark, does not mean it is not a fish. Sure it looks different then a normal fish that people think of, but the basis of it's existence is the same.

Communist Party of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Communist Party of China (CPC), also known as the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), is the founding and ruling political party of the People's Republic of China (PRC). Although nominally it exists alongside the United Front,[2] a coalition of governing political parties, in practice, the CPC is the only party in the PRC,[3] maintaining a unitary government and centralizing the state, military, and media.[4] The legal power of the Communist Party is guaranteed by the national constitution, though due to the Party's Leninist roots, it stands above the law.[4][5] The current party leader is Xi Jinping,[1] who holds the title of General Secretary of the Central Committee."

This is your governments emblem.

I am going to assume you understand the meaning of the emblem.

Last edited by Momotaro; 02-08-2013 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia