U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've never heard the barbarian thing either - and I've been living in Korea/Japan for a long time now.

One thing, however, most Asian women don't find beards very attractive. They'll usually tell you that you look better clean-shaven. Usually they say it looks dirty.

But, that's just for young guys trying to date asian women. I don't think that's something that everyone in the entire society thinks though.
True... My mum actually thinks so too.

But it's another story with stubbles - a lot of women find that attractive. I wish I could grow one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Yes beards seem pretty rare to non-existent in Asian countries these days. Yet those old paintings depict a lot of the men with beards, especially wise men like Confucius etc. I think beards are kind of making a comeback in the West but I wonder if they'll be popular in Asia. I know most Asian men are less hairy, and that includes facial hair, although I have seen some impressive beards on some Asian guys. Those that can should be rockin' them I say lol.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes beards seem pretty rare to non-existent in Asian countries these days. Yet those old paintings depict a lot of the men with beards, especially wise men like Confucius etc. I think beards are kind of making a comeback in the West but I wonder if they'll be popular in Asia. I know most Asian men are less hairy, and that includes facial hair, although I have seen some impressive beards on some Asian guys. Those that can should be rockin' them I say lol.
That beard style has been in East Asia the past 2500 years! Talk about old-fashioned I am guessing that modern women would like some change. Even in the US, there haven't been revivals of the 240-year-old hairstyles of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson yet.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,791,732 times
In Japan it is unclean to have a beard. Thus people shun others who have beards. Guys you see with beards tend to be artist types who don't give a rat's patoosh about what society thinks, or a really rich guy who can get away with it.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
That beard style has been in East Asia the past 2500 years! Talk about old-fashioned I am guessing that modern women would like some change. Even in the US, there haven't been revivals of the 240-year-old hairstyles of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson yet.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=g...HJDLmAXz5YCgAg

I haven't really seen too many guys sporting ponytails around these days. lol

Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,644 times
asian men without beards looks best, believe me

Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've never heard the barbarian thing either - and I've been living in Korea/Japan for a long time now.

One thing, however, most Asian women don't find beards very attractive. They'll usually tell you that you look better clean-shaven. Usually they say it looks dirty.

But, that's just for young guys trying to date asian women. I don't think that's something that everyone in the entire society thinks though.
It depends if the guy looks good.

I am an Asian and I am always attracted to guys with beard.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,602,936 times
In some parts of China, a man is not supposed to have beard util his father dies.
It is a very old tradition of course.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 AM

37,983 posts, read 55,740,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So beards are seen as being a sign of a barbarian, but if you look at a lot of guys in Asian history (like Guan Yu) they are shown with beards. Can someone explain this?
HUH????? who said that beards are seen as being a sign of a barbarian?????
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or