Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 01:55 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

Anybody currently in Taiwan know if we can do our 14 day quarantine in an AirBNB? We are a family of 4 with young kids and might go mad in a tiny quarantine hotel.

Our relatives offered to go stay with friends so we could quarantine at their place, but we don't want them to have problems with freaked-out neighbors. Renting our own place for 2 weeks would be a lot simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 05:59 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
I don't think tourists are allowed yet at the moment. Only travellers on other purposes are allowed entry and must submit a negative Covid test then undergo strict quarantine of 14 days except for those from selected countries (5 days for NZ, Macau, Palau, Fiji, Vietnam, Thailand, Mongolia, Bhutan, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and 7 days for South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka).

If you can prove that you are here on business then I don't think quarantine hotel stay is mandatory, BUT if you travel with any <6 year-olds then quarantine hotel stay would be mandatory.

Last edited by Greysholic; 07-22-2020 at 06:33 AM..

Old 07-22-2020, 08:22 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Go on one of the facebook groups for Taiwan/Taipei expats (there are a few that are very active) or even better, join forumosa.com to ask for really up-to-date info cause the rules have changed slightly over the months.

That said, I believe from what I have read you will need to 1) get approval from your airbnb host. Many of them do not accept quarantiners. 2) Make sure it is of adequate size. I'm not 100% sure what the rules are in a personal home/short term rental, but I am sure that in a quarantine hotel the adults would be separated as you would be required to have one hotel room per adult.

Btw, because a lot of airbnb hosts don't want quarantiners, I have read of several different people who went to stay at a relative's home and those relatives got a short term rental somewhere else.

And as greysholic is alluding to, I assume you have already worked out your immigration situation and know you are allowed in?

Old 07-22-2020, 10:15 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Yes, we can get special permission from AIT here to travel as our "Family Visit" is one of the exceptions. Some of us are also going to need a visa since we are staying longer than the visa waiver allows, and not all of us are Taiwan citizens. Tourism is not currently allowed from the USA. I'm sure AIT will give us the complete details, and I'll ask them, but I was using message boards etc. for preliminary research. Thanks for the suggestion about facebook groups.

I was hunting around online after asking here and it seems that AirBNB was allowed earlier in the year, and there are some AirBNB's that have listed themselves as "Quarantine Welcome" so I'm guessing it's a go.

Our relatives are worried about pissing off their neighbors. Which is understandable. I wouldn't be happy about someone quarantining in my apartment building. We could stay in a relative's country townhouse with a yard, but we would be the talk of the town (because it's a small village), which is something we don't want.

I'm hoping we can find a larger AirBNB in a less dense area both to avoid going crazy in a small box with two little kids and to avoid exposing people in common hallways (just when we arrive, of course. We aren't setting foot outside until quarantine ends). Taiwan has done an awesome job of containing the virus while still being welcoming, and we sure don't want to chance being responsible for getting anyone sick!

We're coming to visit family and put the kids in school, since schools are closed here. They're bilingual, and now is the perfect time for them to spend "a semester abroad" solidifying their Mandarin while they're still academically on par with their Taiwanese peers.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:28 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
We're coming to visit family and put the kids in school, since schools are closed here. They're bilingual, and now is the perfect time for them to spend "a semester abroad" solidifying their Mandarin while they're still academically on par with their Taiwanese peers.
Nice! We are pondering the same thing...well, not exactly the same: we have been planning to move to Taipei next fall and now because of covid considering whether we should just go sooner. Probably won't because it wrenches up a bunch of our plans for the next year, but at the same time things are already all messed up with covid and it would be so nice to have the kids in daycare like normal haha.

As for the Airbnb, just remember like I said that the same way your relatives are worried about the neighbors, many airbnb hosts are worried about the same thing. So only choose listings that accept quarantine.

And consider joining forumosa. It's a great resource for all things expat in Taiwan.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:40 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think tourists are allowed yet at the moment. Only travellers on other purposes are allowed entry and must submit a negative Covid test then undergo strict quarantine of 14 days except for those from selected countries (5 days for NZ, Macau, Palau, Fiji, Vietnam, Thailand, Mongolia, Bhutan, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and 7 days for South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka).

If you can prove that you are here on business then I don't think quarantine hotel stay is mandatory, BUT if you travel with any <6 year-olds then quarantine hotel stay would be mandatory.
oh, dang! Only 5 day quarantine if coming from Macau? Tempting, tempting!

I'm in Macau ITCHING to go anywhere during my summer holidays but being its August already, my summer holiday window is shutting quickly

Unfortunately I'd have to return to Macau and I'd be looking at 14 day quarantine to re-enter Macau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia