U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,201,972 times

Advertisements

So beards are seen as being a sign of a barbarian, but if you look at a lot of guys in Asian history (like Guan Yu) they are shown with beards. Can someone explain this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,875,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So beards are seen as being a sign of a barbarian, but if you look at a lot of guys in Asian history (like Guan Yu) they are shown with beards. Can someone explain this?

In this case history is not reflecting current views. In an age where you can readily buy razers, hair removers or even go to a place to have it cut, many people feel it is a sign of barbarism.

With that said, I wear a beard and I am trying to convince people that beards are better then no beards.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,589 times
Never heard of beards being related to barbarians in my part of the world though.

Where did you hear that?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Never heard of beards being related to barbarians in my part of the world though.

Where did you hear that?
Never heard that either.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,875,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post

Where did you hear that?

I am going to guess from some Asian version of Salary Man today.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,201,972 times
I'll admit I overgeneralized, but in East Asia (China, Korea, Japan) I am pretty sure it is a thing. Otherwise I've wasted a lot of time wondering about this...

Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
I'll admit I overgeneralized, but in East Asia (China, Korea, Japan) I am pretty sure it is a thing. Otherwise I've wasted a lot of time wondering about this...
I've never heard the barbarian thing either - and I've been living in Korea/Japan for a long time now.

One thing, however, most Asian women don't find beards very attractive. They'll usually tell you that you look better clean-shaven. Usually they say it looks dirty.

But, that's just for young guys trying to date asian women. I don't think that's something that everyone in the entire society thinks though.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM

25,336 posts, read 41,448,410 times
Quote:
No, I can not explain a possible error in views of beards... Can you cite a reference?

Rich

Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Quote:
I can see how beards might be associated with barbarians because "barba" means "beard" in Spanish and "barbaro" is "barbarian." I dont know if there's any correlation, but it has crossed my mind before.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've never heard the barbarian thing either - and I've been living in Korea/Japan for a long time now.

One thing, however, most Asian women don't find beards very attractive. They'll usually tell you that you look better clean-shaven. Usually they say it looks dirty.

But, that's just for young guys trying to date asian women. I don't think that's something that everyone in the entire society thinks though.
True... My mum actually thinks so too.

But it's another story with stubbles - a lot of women find that attractive. I wish I could grow one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or