U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japanese have a strong sense of personal space, Koreans do not. Koreans don't make public displays of affection though, if that's what you mean.

One thing that Korean men do though, which make western men uncomfortable, is they are completely comfortable placing their hand on another man's leg or knee. I've seen that taken very wrongly, particularly in drinking situations, where the Korean guy assumes that's just bonding or something, but perceived very differently in the West.
Once met a Japanese man who answered an ad I placed online for a travelling companion. On the phone, I swear, he sounded just like a girl, so was surprised when i met him (somewhat foolishly) at a train station at night when he drove up and I got in. I proceeded to ask him some questions about his plans.etc, which he didn't seem to answer, instead acting like he didn't understand anything, before stroking my thigh. I'm guessing this is far from normal, though haha. Anyway I asked to be dropped off at the train station.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Those are probably almost always Koreans. Chinese from mainland China are like that too though.

A Japanese person however, will be hyper-conscious about space. They'll always find the space in the elevator with the greatest space between everyone else. I also noticed that in crowded Manila, most Filipinos will avoid touching, and give space as well.

Koreans (and many Chinese) have absolutely no concept of that whatsoever. I've been in many empty subway trains, only to have a Korean man sit right next to me, completely oblivious to the fact that the entire subway car is empty.
I thought they would've got used to that now. I've seen some of those Tokyo subway trains.

Is it true that there's a phenomenon in schools in Japan where students are too ashamed to do number 2's at school? Like they find the sound of their own poo plopping into the toilet bowl is just intolerable embarrassing?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Yes I think China and SEA moreso than Japan...not sure about Korea, they're probably like China in some ways and like Japan in others.

Indian men seem touchy among themselves but it seems touching between unmarried people of the opposite sex is sort of frowned upon like the Muslim world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or