U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

On one extreme you have Japan, where even family members/friends seldom touch and formal bowing is the typical greeting between friends. I've heard even parents and husband and wife don't often hug/kiss/touch or hold hands, and PDA's in public are limited.

On the other side of Asia you see the opposite: Middle Eastern and Indians are very touchy-feeling, and it's not uncommon to see male friends holding hands or with their hands all over each other. As in the Romance world and Eastern Europe, kissing on the cheek is customary.

Now what of those in between? I'm curious about SE Asia. Are they less touchy like the Japanese, or more like Indians? Would Vietnam be more like China, similar to Japan but more touchy? Koreans seem pretty touchy.

One thing I've noticed is, aside from Japan, there isn't much concept of personal space or even privacy in Asia.

Also, do you think the lack of physical contact in Japan causes psychological isolation, or even sexual perversity?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,454,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
On one extreme you have Japan, where even family members/friends seldom touch and formal bowing is the typical greeting between friends. I've heard even parents and husband and wife don't often hug/kiss/touch or hold hands, and PDA's in public are limited.

On the other side of Asia you see the opposite: Middle Eastern and Indians are very touchy-feeling, and it's not uncommon to see male friends holding hands or with their hands all over each other. As in the Romance world and Eastern Europe, kissing on the cheek is customary.

Now what of those in between? I'm curious about SE Asia. Are they less touchy like the Japanese, or more like Indians? Would Vietnam be more like China, similar to Japan but more touchy? Koreans seem pretty touchy.

One thing I've noticed is, aside from Japan, there isn't much concept of personal space or even privacy in Asia.

Also, do you think the lack of physical contact in Japan causes psychological isolation, or even sexual perversity?
The ones you see in the west maybe mate, in Korea itself it is very much like the way you describe the Japanese.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-24-2013 at 12:13 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM

13,377 posts, read 21,928,938 times
Living so close to fairly large (and diverse) Asian communities, one thing I have observed is there is no concept of personal space for some Asians. I think it is more common among those who moved here vs. we're born and raised here. I have not observed this behavior among any of the other numerous ethnicities I have been exposed to.

I will be riding alone on an elevator in a medical building, older Asian person gets on board, stands right next to me so they are actually touching yet these is no one else with us on this elevator with a max capacity of 8 people. Standing in line at a coffee place that shall remain nameless, an Asian gets behind me and is standing so close I feel like they are part of my outfit. Strange but true. Does anyone know why?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Living so close to fairly large (and diverse) Asian communities, one thing I have observed is there is no concept of personal space for some Asians. I think it is more common among those who moved here vs. we're born and raised here. I have not observed this behavior among any of the other numerous ethnicities I have been exposed to.

I will be riding alone on an elevator in a medical building, older Asian person gets on board, stands right next to me so they are actually touching yet these is no one else with us on this elevator with a max capacity of 8 people. Standing in line at a coffee place that shall remain nameless, an Asian gets behind me and is standing so close I feel like they are part of my outfit. Strange but true. Does anyone know why?
Asian countries tend to be crowded so often you're touching someone or really close to them. Often people will jostle and push in 'lines' (if they exist), or to get onto trains or something. Many Asian societies are seemingly without order.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Young Chinese people don't seem have much personal space and can be quite friendly with hugging, etc.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,535,141 times
I get the impression the Chinese and SE Asians are a little more touchy-feely than the Japanese/Koreans, things like hugging loved ones are still not major parts of East Asian culture in general, IMO.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,247 times
I think the more Confucian cultures (Japan, Korea, Taiwan) maintain a larger distance and the SE Asian countries generally a bit nearer. Asia tends to be very crowded though, so there's no such thing as personal space at the subway or bus. However, I only experience strangers coming in too close for comfort in China. Have not traveled much in South Asia or the Middle East to notice.

My biggest gripe re privacy in China is the lack of doors in some toilet cubicles and people who use the cubicles without closing the doors! I also don't know why it has become fashionable to use glass bathroom doors in some hotel rooms. I abhor the idea of seeing anyone take a dump or having to expose myself taking a dump!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I think the more Confucian cultures (Japan, Korea, Taiwan) maintain a larger distance and the SE Asian countries generally a bit nearer. Asia tends to be very crowded though, so there's no such thing as personal space at the subway or bus. However, I only experience strangers coming in too close for comfort in China. Have not traveled much in South Asia or the Middle East to notice.

My biggest gripe re privacy in China is the lack of doors in some toilet cubicles and people who use the cubicles without closing the doors! I also don't know why it has become fashionable to use glass bathroom doors in some hotel rooms. I abhor the idea of seeing anyone take a dump or having to expose myself taking a dump!
The glass should be frosted. Lucky I didn't encounter any of those doorless toilet cubicles in China, although i did encounter one absolutely filthy toilet in China. Piles of **** all over the place. What did they do, take a dump anywhere on the floor?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The ones you see in the west maybe mate, in Korea itself it is very much like the way you describe the Japanese.
Japanese have a strong sense of personal space, Koreans do not. Koreans don't make public displays of affection though, if that's what you mean.

One thing that Korean men do though, which make western men uncomfortable, is they are completely comfortable placing their hand on another man's leg or knee. I've seen that taken very wrongly, particularly in drinking situations, where the Korean guy assumes that's just bonding or something, but perceived very differently in the West.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Those are probably almost always Koreans. Chinese from mainland China are like that too though.

A Japanese person however, will be hyper-conscious about space. They'll always find the space in the elevator with the greatest space between everyone else. I also noticed that in crowded Manila, most Filipinos will avoid touching, and give space as well.

Koreans (and many Chinese) have absolutely no concept of that whatsoever. I've been in many empty subway trains, only to have a Korean man sit right next to me, completely oblivious to the fact that the entire subway car is empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or