U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,280,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, it doesn't look all that different from a complex you'd see in Florida or SoCal either. I was assured that I would have "Western style" accommodations; they weren't lying...
Yep. Just hope they're as sturdy as they look...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yep. Just hope they're as sturdy as they look...
Well, these ones have been up and inhabited for a few years, so I imagine they're sturdy enough.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 PM

15,954 posts, read 36,218,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They are generally in one section of the city and seldom elsewhere. If you never went to that neighborhood, then you won't see them. Keep in mind this is 200,000 in a city of about 13 million, so we're talking about less than 2 percent of the city's population and all of that in basically one neighborhood.
What's the neighborhood? Is there anything to see and do from a 'non-residential visitor' perspective. Meaning, do they just live in a residential area, or is there a thriving African businesses abound area?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the neighborhood? Is there anything to see and do from a 'non-residential visitor' perspective. Meaning, do they just live in a residential area, or is there a thriving African businesses abound area?
I'll check it out when I get there and let you know.

I'm wondering if there are any African restaurants in that area - assuming there are at least a few... which would be cool. I love African cuisine

Last edited by 415_s2k; 12-08-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 12:59 PM

2,704 posts, read 4,679,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Keep in mind, until I moved back to Boston, I would regularly bike through evening rush-hour traffic in LA. The roads are in horrific condition throughout much of the city, cars reach higher speeds than they tend to in urban China, there aren't bike lanes on most stretches of most major boulevards, and many people think of cyclists as targets... I'm not daunted
The area outside Guangzhou, to the south, is poor, third-world looking with extremely narrow roads that have buses zipping down them at fast speeds. Biking through there, especially as a foreigner, would be dangerous, much more so than you would have ever experienced here in the states.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 PM

22,222 posts, read 23,735,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Still, if there was 200K, you would see a lot more blacks walking around. 200K is a lot of people, they would not be able to make a living in the city.

Also, this guy estimates it to be about 10K
blacks in guangzhou | Africans in China
The estimates generally range from 20K to 200K for the numbers at any given time (not necessarily permanent as a lot of people come in for a few weeks of business and then leave). I think it makes sense to think of this as immigrant communities that reside exclusively in certain enclaves that relatively few people outside of the local community would wander into unless they had business specifically in that neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's basically the area around xiaobei station.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM

38 posts, read 70,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is not a tourist destination for the most part, though it is famous for food.
Guangzhou has the largest African community in China too. Some say there are 200,000 Africans.
Yeah, Guangzhou has lots of African that I will even thought there is a small kingdom of African.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 AM

3,134 posts, read 2,708,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The estimates generally range from 20K to 200K for the numbers at any given time (not necessarily permanent as a lot of people come in for a few weeks of business and then leave). I think it makes sense to think of this as immigrant communities that reside exclusively in certain enclaves that relatively few people outside of the local community would wander into unless they had business specifically in that neighborhood.
Still, if there was 200K they would have been a lot more visible. You can't hide 200K under the rock. Neiter can they survive. 200K can't survive on trading, they need to find other jobs.

It is possible there is 20K blacks in Guangzhou, but not 200K. The people who come short term do not need to overstay their visa. 200K foreigners on short term visas in Guangzhou would be reflected in the statistics.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM

1,953 posts, read 2,073,913 times
http://www.china.org.cn/photos/2013-...t_30148049.htm

Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM

22,222 posts, read 23,735,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Still, if there was 200K they would have been a lot more visible. You can't hide 200K under the rock. Neiter can they survive. 200K can't survive on trading, they need to find other jobs.

It is possible there is 20K blacks in Guangzhou, but not 200K. The people who come short term do not need to overstay their visa. 200K foreigners on short term visas in Guangzhou would be reflected in the statistics.
The estimates vary with some people claiming so and so is an undercount or so and so is an overcount. The hiding under a rock thing is hard to tell, because the African communities doesn't function like Western, Japanese or Korean expat communities. They are generally not in the center city areas nor are they in the nicer new city centers that sprout up, so it's easy to not see the presence at all. They also don't need to find other jobs for the most part, because it is almost exclusively just trading since it seems like the vast majority flit in and out to purchase items to be sent back home to small shops (not necessarily sent with them on a plane, but simply sent over while they continue purchases) from many different parts of sub-Saharan Africa. There's also some contingent, though I have no idea how large, of people who are naturalized US (and possibly elsewhere?) citizens who make this trek which I know from having a West African cabbie friend who does this about once every year or two where he flies to Guangzhou, loads up, goes back to Togo to sell and rest, and then comes back to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or