U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,671,358 times

Advertisements

Been to Guangzhou 20 years ago. That was shocking. People were sleeping in the railway station and they sit in the restaurants with one foot on their seat. It felt like it was a refugee center, except there was no typhoon or earthquake. These people were all waiting for an opportunity to be able to get into the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone, in the hope of finding jobs there.

Things have changed a lot already. I may visit again in the near future. I know some people who went to the Canton Fair and they say it's a very nice experience. Some friends also recommend going to the various attractions of the Chimelong group and they're also happy with them.

I think it's just not mentioned that much because Hong Kong often acts as the commercial center of the entire Pearl River Delta to people outside of China. International trade is most likely done in Hong Kong, while Guangzhou is geared more towards domestic trade. The other cities are focused on manufacturing and production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM

6,229 posts, read 6,382,352 times
Canton or Guangzhou was indeed an important city long before the rise of Hong Kong. Prior to communist rule, Canton was an international port city very important in the trade the western powers and Qing Dynasty, Republic of China had with each other. It was a staging ground for the various revolutions, and political entities of the first half of the 21st century.

The portuguese, spanish, Dutch east India company, and the brits all came to Canton as their first stop when coming to China. It was the premier city of Southern China prior to the Chinese Civil War. Hong Kong did not become what it is until the influx of refugees escaping the war.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
People in China also say Cantonese girls are ugly (not always true of course).
The saying is places near Yangtze River produce beautiful ladies. But most overseas Chinese are from the deep south such as Guangdong.
Yes, Chengdu and Chongqing. When I was a single man, and visited Chengdu, I was absolutely surprised. I didn't think beauty could be that condensed.

Previous to visiting Chengdu, I didn't really think Chinese could hold a candle in the beauty department to Korean of Vietnamese. But Chengdu certainly stood out.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 AM

200 posts, read 395,873 times
Don't ever get a layover at the airport there. This is one of the most boring airports you could get stuck in. No postcards to buy, no internet to use (even though there are signs up everywhere saying they have free internet) and a small terminal to walk back and forth in when you need to get up and move around.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 AM

6,633 posts, read 8,334,113 times
You know for some of their sizes, these Chinese cities could definitely use more PR campaigns. It's not that they don't have as much to offer, I mean these are places with like over 10 million people in a modernizing part of the world-- of course they do. They just need to advertise it more.

I believe they can learn from Dalian, which has been running ads in Times Square New York lately from my last experience there.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yes, Chengdu and Chongqing. When I was a single man, and visited Chengdu, I was absolutely surprised. I didn't think beauty could be that condensed.

Previous to visiting Chengdu, I didn't really think Chinese could hold a candle in the beauty department to Korean of Vietnamese. But Chengdu certainly stood out.
Well China isn't as well off as Korea so fewer girls less plastic surgery, lol. I have heard that about Sichuan girls. Been to Chongqing but really didn't get out enough to compare. For some reason, the girls in Taiwan look more attractive than on mainland China.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
You know for some of their sizes, these Chinese cities could definitely use more PR campaigns. It's not that they don't have as much to offer, I mean these are places with like over 10 million people in a modernizing part of the world-- of course they do. They just need to advertise it more.

I believe they can learn from Dalian, which has been running ads in Times Square New York lately from my last experience there.
I agree, although the sad fact is that like most American cities, most Chinese cities really that exciting. If American cities are generic skyscrapers with miles of sprawl, then Chinese cities are often generic skyscrapers with miles of generic-looking high-rise. While the high-tech of Shanghai is cool, what really attracts tourists to China is the culture and architecture.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 AM

957 posts, read 1,548,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree, although the sad fact is that like most American cities, most Chinese cities really that exciting. If American cities are generic skyscrapers with miles of sprawl, then Chinese cities are often generic skyscrapers with miles of generic-looking high-rise. While the high-tech of Shanghai is cool, what really attracts tourists to China is the culture and architecture.
Do you mean, most Chinese cities aren't that exciting? I don't know much about most of the chinese cities, but I found HK, Beijing, and Shanghai to be more exciting(especially the nightlife) than NY, LA, and San Fran.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Do you mean, most Chinese cities aren't that exciting? I don't know much about most of the chinese cities, but I found HK, Beijing, and Shanghai to be more exciting(especially the nightlife) than NY, LA, and San Fran.
Yes, sorry that's what I meant.

China has a few well known 'world class' cities: Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Nanjing, Tianjin (sort of), Hangzhou, Suzhou, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, and a few others that are kind of there, like Chengdu, Kunming, Fuzhou, Changsha, Harbin. Chongqing is huge but it's probably a place China doesn't want to advertise too much to the world.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM

661 posts, read 585,733 times
I've lived in Shanghai for 10 years and in 2012 moved to Guangzhou and I have to say its was a nice change. Guangzhou weather is great in the winter, yet the summers (like most of China) are brutally hot. Guangzhou is hit or miss as some neighborhoods are run down and ugly looking why others (Tianhe) have brand new sky scrappers and Starbucks at every corner. Guangzhou (Formerly known as Canton) has great food (Cantonese food) might be the best in China. A train to Hong Kong is about 3 hours and its a nice escape from the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or