U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This is from the forum on shanghaiexpat.com
------

by JasUK Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am

The girls in the office seems to say why foreginers go out with so ugly chinese girls. I think Lucy Liu is drop dead gorgeous but Chinese think she is ugly!!!! I just wish there were more ugly girls like Lucy Liu about i would not mind dating someone who is hideously ugly like her.
I've consistently noticed that throughout Asia.

In Southeast Asia, most white foreigners want to date dark-skinned Thai, Southeast Asian. It's very strange to Southeast Asians.

But even in light-skinned Korea, foreigners just like the more 'exotic least-european' looking. Whereas, to me, it seems that most Asians go ga-ga over the lightest skinned, pale, largest eyed Asian women.

Whenever I see Miss Universe or Miss World contests, I'm routinely surprised as the girls they choose to represent them. Often the one with the permanent in her hair to make her hair curl a bit, on and on. Whereas to me, the girl with the straighter jet-black hair is super attractive. (That's another thing, most Japanese/Korean girls seem to want to dye their hair a much lighter color. Usually a brown, or something that looks like it could be natural, but obviously not their birth color.

Anyways, all that applies directly to China too, I'm sure. (I just don't have as direct knowledge with CHina as I do the other Northeastern and Southeastern Asian countries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM

6,724 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

In Southeast Asia, most white foreigners want to date dark-skinned Thai, Southeast Asian. It's very strange to Southeast Asians.

But even in light-skinned Korea, foreigners just like the more 'exotic least-european' looking. Whereas, to me, it seems that most Asians go ga-ga over the lightest skinned, pale, largest eyed Asian women.

Whenever I see Miss Universe or Miss World contests, I'm routinely surprised as the girls they choose to represent them. Often the one with the permanent in her hair to make her hair curl a bit, on and on. Whereas to me, the girl with the straighter jet-black hair is super attractive. (That's another thing, most Japanese/Korean girls seem to want to dye their hair a much lighter color. Usually a brown, or something that looks like it could be natural, but obviously not their birth color.

Anyways, all that applies directly to China too, I'm sure. (I just don't have as direct knowledge with CHina as I do the other Northeastern and Southeastern Asian countries).
I believe most white people still prefer Asians who look like white in some aspects.
However those who have an "Asian fetish" are unique to begin with.

Look at this popular Chinese actress Li Bingbing. I can't believe white men don't like her (she is pure Chinese).

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
I believe most white people still prefer Asians who look like white in some aspects.
However those who have an "Asian fetish" are unique to begin with.

Look at this popular Chinese actress Li Bingbing. I can't believe white men don't like her (she is pure Chinese).
That basically makes the point right there. Li Bingbing looks more white than Chinese. She looks eurasian.

Her eyes and nose and lips and everything looks like it's been altered. She is attractive, but looks like she's had a lot of work done to make her look less chinese, and more western.

Chinese males are apparently very attracted to that look. For caucasian males, I think she's still attractive, but I'd prefer a 'less altered' look.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That basically makes the point right there. Li Bingbing looks more white than Chinese. She looks eurasian.

Her eyes and nose and lips and everything looks like it's been altered. She is attractive, but looks like she's had a lot of work done to make her look less chinese, and more western.

Chinese males are apparently very attracted to that look. For caucasian males, I think she's still attractive, but I'd prefer a 'less altered' look.
I don't think she's "altered". There were pics of her earlier years and they look the same.
Plastic surgery is not as popular in China as in South Korea anyway.

However Chinese people (esp. northern Chinese) have been mixed with many Eurasian groups in history and sometimes those features show up. Li Bingbing is from the northeast.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
^She's attractive, for sure... but, I've always had a thing for hapa (half white/half Asian) girls, and that's what I'd guess she was if I didn't know any better. This said, I do tend to find women who have more explicitly "Asian" features attractive. Whenever I go to K-town here in LA - or, for that matter, there are plenty of wealthy mainland Chinese who come here to BH to shop and stay - I see plenty of women who almost appear to be white due to the plastic surgery they've had on their eyes, nose, chin, and cheeks.

I guess, on the one hand, that it's great that they've gone and had surgery that makes them more comfortable and confident with themselves, but I think it's too bad, personally.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Li Bingbing sure is attractive to me, but she has more Eurasian features. She reminds me of Anne Hathaway who I find very attractive.

I am Asian and I do not find Lucy Liu to be particularly unattractive, but I don't consider her gorgeous either.

The other Hollywood star that I do not find attractive at all is Sandra Oh (Dr. Yang of Grey's Anatomy), but she made it to the list of Most Beautiful People!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
^She's attractive, for sure... but, I've always had a thing for hapa (half white/half Asian) girls, and that's what I'd guess she was if I didn't know any better. This said, I do tend to find women who have more explicitly "Asian" features attractive. Whenever I go to K-town here in LA - or, for that matter, there are plenty of wealthy mainland Chinese who come here to BH to shop and stay - I see plenty of women who almost appear to be white due to the plastic surgery they've had on their eyes, nose, chin, and cheeks.

I guess, on the one hand, that it's great that they've gone and had surgery that makes them more comfortable and confident with themselves, but I think it's too bad, personally.
Not all of them went through surgery. This thing is not very popular in China even among recently rich women.
As I said, quite a few (though still the minority) Chinese women have "Eurasian" features naturally.
For example, I have double eyelids and quite big eyes myself (male). My father has curly hair, and my maternal grandfather has hazel eyes. All natural. Most overseas Chinese were Cantonese before, so it is just a small sample from a relatively small region.

We can look at a top communist leader Zhou Enlai. He has a lot of "Eurasian" features too. But we are 100% sure he had no surgery lol

Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM

84 posts, read 367,630 times
Quote:

I heard that most of dark-skined Thais whom become foreigner's wife in Thailand are mostly Khmer ethnic and not Tai ethnic. I asked them when I visited Thailand, many of them said they are from somewhere in rural Issan area like Surin,Sisaket,Sa Keaw and Buriram.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM

154 posts, read 191,773 times
Quote:
People in China also say Cantonese girls are ugly (not always true of course).
The saying is places near Yangtze River produce beautiful ladies. But most overseas Chinese are from the deep south such as Guangdong.
There are some Cantonese women with fuller lips and wider broader noses just like Southeast Asian women. Maybe that is why they are seen as ugly compared to a Chinese woman who has small lips and a sharp narrow nose.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 AM

843 posts, read 1,377,163 times
Quote:
That's impressive. Any particular reason?

Illegal immigrants from Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or