U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:17 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
And another thread turns into a critique of Asian women.
Everyone was talking about last names and ethnic groups, not women...

One of my friends lives in Guangzhou and has been trying to get me to go over there for the last few months - he's an HR director at a company and can get a me a work visa, teaching English, of course. 20 hours a week for pretty fair money, and I'd be able to conduct some (most) of the other business I make my income off of remotely. Definitely mulling it over; I've never had the chance to live overseas and would love to, for a year or two.

I need to do more research on the city, and fly over to see it if I get the chance. Very, very tempting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:56 PM

22,103 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Everyone was talking about last names and ethnic groups, not women...

One of my friends lives in Guangzhou and has been trying to get me to go over there for the last few months - he's an HR director at a company and can get a me a work visa, teaching English, of course. 20 hours a week for pretty fair money, and I'd be able to conduct some (most) of the other business I make my income off of remotely. Definitely mulling it over; I've never had the chance to live overseas and would love to, for a year or two.

I need to do more research on the city, and fly over to see it if I get the chance. Very, very tempting...
You really need to know where in Guangzhou you'd be staying and working in. Guangzhou's territorial expanse is pretty huge and you can find yourself out in the boonies despite still technically being in Guangzhou.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You really need to know where in Guangzhou you'd be staying and working in. Guangzhou's territorial expanse is pretty huge and you can find yourself out in the boonies despite still technically being in Guangzhou.
Yeah, I've done some research into Guangzhou... I know it has slums, and suburbs that run the gamut in terms of niceness. He lives in an area called Tianhe, which he says is pretty nice, but when I was looking up info on that, I saw it was broken down into like twenty subdistricts. I'd most likely try to be as close to work as possible - I'm not a fan of commuting and currently don't have one...

Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, I've done some research into Guangzhou... I know it has slums, and suburbs that run the gamut in terms of niceness. He lives in an area called Tianhe, which he says is pretty nice, but when I was looking up info on that, I saw it was broken down into like twenty subdistricts. I'd most likely try to be as close to work as possible - I'm not a fan of commuting and currently don't have one...
I find that throughout Asia, it's fairly easy to NOT have a commute. The society and culture and countries mix everything up very easily, so that wherever you work, you can easily live near there, and have 100s of amenities nearby as well.

I mean, comparitive to the U.S. anyways, where that almost never happens.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 PM

652 posts, read 581,038 times
I live in Guangzhou, Tianhe and its the only area I would live in Guangzhou. There are two main neighborhoods in Tianhe, ZhuJiang new town which is where a ton of foreigners live. Lots of coffee shops, restaurants and bars. The other where I live is near the soccer stadium. You will not need to commute far at all. Pick an apartment near your work and I'm sure you can walk to everything ie Starbucks, grocery store, restaurants, metro station and so on.....

Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Guangzhou just poorly located? Too close to HK/Macau for people to see? It's a huge city with a ton of industry and everything else. Not one I hear much about that...at least not in the realm of Beijing/Shanghai/HK anyways.

ANything there worth seeing?
Well it's like Lagos, Nigeria, isn't it? One of the biggest cities in the world, but not on the world stage. Population numbers don't mean anything when it comes to which world class a city belongs to. Sydney is a pretty small city, even by American standards, but it's one of the most important cities in the world.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM

90 posts, read 177,582 times
IMO the main problem is that people still do not associate Guangzhou as Canton, which is the historical English name of the city and region. If you can do a find-replace of all the references of Canton to Guangzhou I am sure it would be quite famous.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofangel View Post
IMO the main problem is that people still do not associate Guangzhou as Canton, which is the historical English name of the city and region. If you can do a find-replace of all the references of Canton to Guangzhou I am sure it would be quite famous.
I'm sure as well a several decades ago Beijing would have been in the same situation. I'm sure at one point you asked someone about Beijing that would have been huh? But then if you said Peking that would say, "Ah yes, THAT place"

Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I find that throughout Asia, it's fairly easy to NOT have a commute. The society and culture and countries mix everything up very easily, so that wherever you work, you can easily live near there, and have 100s of amenities nearby as well.

I mean, comparitive to the U.S. anyways, where that almost never happens.
And thank god for that. It was one of the things I realized early on as an adult, after I moved from Boston, where I was a five-minute walk to a subway station and ten-minute walk to work and in that span I passed by 90% of the amenities I'd need for day-to-day life, to LA, where I stupidly lived across town from work and had to wake up an extra hour early just to play in traffic... your commute can make or break your opinion of any place.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I live in Guangzhou, Tianhe and its the only area I would live in Guangzhou. There are two main neighborhoods in Tianhe, ZhuJiang new town which is where a ton of foreigners live. Lots of coffee shops, restaurants and bars. The other where I live is near the soccer stadium. You will not need to commute far at all. Pick an apartment near your work and I'm sure you can walk to everything ie Starbucks, grocery store, restaurants, metro station and so on.....
Awesome, good to know. Planning on getting out there for a week or so before I move, and I'll be sure to check out New Town and ZhuJiang

How is the situation with riding a bike there? I have a car here in the US (which I'll be sending to my parents for safe keeping) but do most of my travel within LA on a bicycle and do long-distance rides... I'd love to do the same there if it's not overwhelmingly dangerous - keep in mind when I say this, I regularly ride through rush-hour traffic in West LA, which puts me on the receiving end of hardcore yuppie road-rage every day! And how about motorcycles - I seem to recall reading that there was a ban on motorcycles and scooters in parts of Guangzhou?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or