U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 AM

653 posts, read 582,148 times

Advertisements

Riding a bike in GZ is no problem, esp since your coming from a city environment in the U.S. Yeah, no motorbikes allowed as crime was really a problem here in GZ and a lot of young guys would steal ladies bags or computer bags off of pedestrians arms and speed off. The city is very safe now and they have really built up Tian he district. You'll like Zhu jiang new town best. Tons of foreigners and lots of bars/coffee shops/restaurants and so on.....Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm curious as to whether Guangzhou (formerly known as Canton to the West) was more prominent before the rise of Hong Kong? I mean the language 'Cantonese' is named after Canton, so it must've been prominent.
Yes, it was more promiment. Hong Kong didn't even exist until the British came in, but Guangzhou had been there for a very long time. Macau came about as a place that Portuguese traders harbored their ships, on their way to trade with Guangzhou, while Guangzhou was off-and-on off-limits to them during various times.

In short, Hong Kong was a very minor player, to almost non-existant until very recently. Basically when the British wanted to trade with China, through various events, kind of forced themselves onto the land, after a series of other events.

But the main purpose was to have something of British soil in proximity to the much larger city of Guangzhou that all the EUropeans wanted to do trade with.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yes, it was more promiment. Hong Kong didn't even exist until the British came in, but Guangzhou had been there for a very long time. Macau came about as a place that Portuguese traders harbored their ships, on their way to trade with Guangzhou, while Guangzhou was off-and-on off-limits to them during various times.

In short, Hong Kong was a very minor player, to almost non-existant until very recently. Basically when the British wanted to trade with China, through various events, kind of forced themselves onto the land, after a series of other events.

But the main purpose was to have something of British soil in proximity to the much larger city of Guangzhou that all the EUropeans wanted to do trade with.
Yes, it seemed Hong Kong only assumed it's present position after China completely shut-off itself from the West. Before that, it seemed Shanghai was the main centre in China, even though it wasn't a colony. Then again perhaps I underestimate HK's importance? I think Singapore may've played a bigger role too. Now Shanghai is really trying to reclaim it's old dominance, although HK is still on another level.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I've lived in Shanghai for 10 years and in 2012 moved to Guangzhou and I have to say its was a nice change. Guangzhou weather is great in the winter, yet the summers (like most of China) are brutally hot. Guangzhou is hit or miss as some neighborhoods are run down and ugly looking why others (Tianhe) have brand new sky scrappers and Starbucks at every corner. Guangzhou (Formerly known as Canton) has great food (Cantonese food) might be the best in China. A train to Hong Kong is about 3 hours and its a nice escape from the mainland.
It's interesting, as prior to visiting Guangzhou, I was always given the impression that Guangzhou was a bit of a hellhole with rude pushy people.

Having now visited, it was anything but. Guangzhou is way more relaxed and even kind of pretty with the river, colonial architecture downtown, and leafy trees everywhere. I actually like it way more than Shanghai or Beijing, which surprised me. I would have originally thought that Guangzhou would be a distant 3rd compared to the other two in overall feel and attractiveness.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
It's interesting, as prior to visiting Guangzhou, I was always given the impression that Guangzhou was a bit of a hellhole with rude pushy people.

Having now visited, it was anything but. Guangzhou is way more relaxed and even kind of pretty with the river, colonial architecture downtown, and leafy trees everywhere. I actually like it way more than Shanghai or Beijing, which surprised me. I would have originally thought that Guangzhou would be a distant 3rd compared to the other two in overall feel and attractiveness.
I saw an episode of 'Bizarre Foods' with Andrew Zimmern (dunno if you watch that) that was just about Guangzhou, and he was talking about how it's the centre of exotic and weird food. Did you see/eat a lot of that there?

Also how much classical Chinese architecture is there? I remember doing a school project back in primary school where we each had to pick a city in China to research. I was given Guangzhou. I forgot what I learnt, but I actually did want to visit when we went to China in 2006 but we didn't have the time.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I saw an episode of 'Bizarre Foods' with Andrew Zimmern (dunno if you watch that) that was just about Guangzhou, and he was talking about how it's the centre of exotic and weird food. Did you see/eat a lot of that there?

Also how much classical Chinese architecture is there? I remember doing a school project back in primary school where we each had to pick a city in China to research. I was given Guangzhou. I forgot what I learnt, but I actually did want to visit when we went to China in 2006 but we didn't have the time.
I don't remember classical Chinese archicture, and I'm not sure exactly what that would look like. But, down near the river (which is a centerpiece of the city), there is this old colonial area with tons of colonial architecture. Shamian Island is the name, and apparently it was built by the French and the English at various times. Lots of very European-looking buildings, some chapels and churches, and colonial hotels and such, in a fairly interesting walkable area with many statues around as well. It's an interesting area anyways.

The food didn't stand out though. But, I wasn't with any local to truly point out where and what I should have been eating.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I don't remember classical Chinese archicture, and I'm not sure exactly what that would look like. But, down near the river (which is a centerpiece of the city), there is this old colonial area with tons of colonial architecture. Shamian Island is the name, and apparently it was built by the French and the English at various times. Lots of very European-looking buildings, some chapels and churches, and colonial hotels and such, in a fairly interesting walkable area with many statues around as well. It's an interesting area anyways.

The food didn't stand out though. But, I wasn't with any local to truly point out where and what I should have been eating.
I guess what one would see at West Lake in Hangzhou, or the Goose Pagoda, Summer Palace.etc.

Sounds interesting. If you get the chance you should check out Xiamen, formerly known as Amoy. The air is clean (for Chinese standards), actually got some nice beaches, it's modern, pretty wealthy, and boasts Gulangyu, a very quaint, car-free island that was an international settlement where many foreign consulates were located with a wide variety of European colonial architecture.

Fujian in general is great - from Mt Wuyishan, to the Hakka tulous, Xiamen - it gets overlooked, but it's one of the most beautiful provinces.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
I'll have my boots on the ground in Guangzhou in about a month and a half... I'll be sure to send back lots of pictures

As soon as I get there, get situated, and get a bike, I'd like to take a few days to ride down to Hong Kong - I've ridden from LA to Long Beach and back in one day no problem, so I figure I could do the trip down in two days, spend a day in HK, and then take a ferry back... should make for a pretty memorable trip!

Old 12-03-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'll have my boots on the ground in Guangzhou in about a month and a half... I'll be sure to send back lots of pictures

As soon as I get there, get situated, and get a bike, I'd like to take a few days to ride down to Hong Kong - I've ridden from LA to Long Beach and back in one day no problem, so I figure I could do the trip down in two days, spend a day in HK, and then take a ferry back... should make for a pretty memorable trip!
Have you researched how safe it is to ride on the roads there/whether there is a good bike network, paths.etc? Although most people in China do not wear helmets, I would think it a good idea there!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 PM

528 posts, read 1,088,549 times
Guanzhou is a city that formed around its river traffic back in the days when all trade was conducted through China's waterways.
The Pearl River is still important but now roads and highways are the way to travel and the waterways kind of cut up the area. Lately, though, with the great expansion of roads and bridges, the city is still a center for govt. (province capital) and important for businesses.
I spent a week there in 2004 staying in the Guanzhou Guest House and my wife and I thought it was a nice area.
We did see homeless beggars but in general it was a city full of busy workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or