Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Have you researched how safe it is to ride on the roads there/whether there is a good bike network, paths.etc? Although most people in China do not wear helmets, I would think it a good idea there!
Keep in mind, until I moved back to Boston, I would regularly bike through evening rush-hour traffic in LA. The roads are in horrific condition throughout much of the city, cars reach higher speeds than they tend to in urban China, there aren't bike lanes on most stretches of most major boulevards, and many people think of cyclists as targets... I'm not daunted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Is anyone here familiar with Clifford Estates in the Panyu District? I just got my invitation letter, and evidently that's where my apartment will be. I looked up some pictures, looks pretty nice... though I couldn't find much about the area in English.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Is anyone here familiar with Clifford Estates in the Panyu District? I just got my invitation letter, and evidently that's where my apartment will be. I looked up some pictures, looks pretty nice... though I couldn't find much about the area in English.
Can't tell you much about Clifford Estates, but Panyu District is definitely a ways out from the city center. That could be good or bad depending on your personal preferences. It'll be eye-opening for sure. That doesn't mean it's really the boonies though, because a lot of suburbs in China are more bustling than the downtowns of major US cities. Sounds awesome though.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is not a tourist destination for the most part, though it is famous for food.
Guangzhou has the largest African community in China too. Some say there are 200,000 Africans.
That estimate is probably too high. I have been to Guangzhou and I didn't see a single african.

I don't think it is any higher than 20000.

Last edited by Camlon; 12-08-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
That estimate is probably too high. I have been to Guangzhou and I didn't see a single african.

I don't think it is any higher than 20000.
They are generally in one section of the city and seldom elsewhere. If you never went to that neighborhood, then you won't see them. Keep in mind this is 200,000 in a city of about 13 million, so we're talking about less than 2 percent of the city's population and all of that in basically one neighborhood.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They are generally in one section of the city and seldom elsewhere. If you never went to that neighborhood, then you won't see them. Keep in mind this is 200,000 in a city of about 13 million, so we're talking about less than 2 percent of the city's population and all of that in basically one neighborhood.
Still, if there was 200K, you would see a lot more blacks walking around. 200K is a lot of people, they would not be able to make a living in the city.

Also, this guy estimates it to be about 10K
blacks in guangzhou | Africans in China

Old 12-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Can't tell you much about Clifford Estates, but Panyu District is definitely a ways out from the city center. That could be good or bad depending on your personal preferences. It'll be eye-opening for sure. That doesn't mean it's really the boonies though, because a lot of suburbs in China are more bustling than the downtowns of major US cities. Sounds awesome though.
Yeah, I saw that it was about ten miles out from the city center, which is sort of a drag, but hey... it looks like the subway runs out there, so I'll still have access to public transit. Also, since it's less dense and from most of the pictures I've seen, the streets like wide and modern, my chances of being hit while on a bike go down

I guess this is the complex where I'll be living:

Doesn't look bad, hm?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM

89 posts, read 202,606 times
Guangzhou is an important modern international metropolis in the world, a first-tier city in China, a wonderful place where most graduates pursue and realize dreams.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
^ Looks like any new condo complex in Singapore.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ Looks like any new condo complex in Singapore.
Yeah, it doesn't look all that different from a complex you'd see in Florida or SoCal either. I was assured that I would have "Western style" accommodations; they weren't lying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia