U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Singapore 15 78.95%
Kuala Lumpur 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM

24,683 posts, read 46,659,432 times

Advertisements

The showdown: Singapore vs. Kuala Lumpur | CNN Travel

Thought this was quite a good article, so I won't bother with my own comparison. I know these two cities very well, having been to KL at least 6 times and Singapore probably twice that now.

It's hard to vote against my 'other' hometown, so I'd still go with Singapore, but KL definitely offers a lot and feels a bit more vibrantly chaotic in the Asian sense. It's a bit harder to get around or 'know' KL, though, and Singapore feels more 'packaged.'

No surprise, it really comes down to food, at which both of these cities excel.

What are your experiences with each city? Which do you prefer overall?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM

6,733 posts, read 8,661,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are your experiences with each city? Which do you prefer overall?
Overall, Singapore. My hometown.

Kuala Lumpur surprised me, it's really much nicer than I thought and the culture, people, food, skyline, and especially the scenery nearby is amazing.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,086,376 times
KL - good for visiting, but not for living. I wouldn't want to get stuck in the jam every day. The coverage of the mass transit lines is still far from satisfactory, and many stops are far from each other, and certain lines aren't interlinked with each other. That's pretty inconvenient if you ask me. And if you don't own a car, you practically can't survive outside the city centre, which makes things worse since most KL-lites live in the suburbs. KL's city planning is built around cars, and its sprawling nature just disinterests me.

Singapore for me in this sense. That said, the Petronas Towers are truly an architectural marvel like no other, and they basically outshine all the buildings in the city when they're spectacularly lit up at night.

Last edited by kyh; 01-25-2013 at 02:07 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 AM

24,683 posts, read 46,659,432 times
Yes, KL is pretty car dominated for an Asian city when you think about. The rail stations aren't always conveniently located and the system isn't as easy to use. It reminds me a bit of Bangkok in that sense. Traffic is often bumper to bumper, which is rarely the case in Singapore due to the high public transport use. I wonder what percentage of commuters in KL use public transport?

Old 12-09-2013, 02:14 AM

376 posts, read 768,890 times
for me 2 countries " Malaysian & Singapura " is growing rapidly. .. but I do not see the two countries into the G20 members, along with other Asian countries such as China, Indonesia, Japan, India and South Korean.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:14 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,765,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
for me 2 countries " Malaysian & Singapura " is growing rapidly. .. but I do not see the two countries into the G20 members, along with other Asian countries such as China, Indonesia, Japan, India and South Korean.
Well they're a lot smaller in population than the other countries, but for it's size Singapore is one of the most important cities in the world.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 AM

15,976 posts, read 36,944,545 times
I really like KL!! If this were against almost any other city, I'd probably put KL ahead of the other SE Asian city - probably! (Although I'm still undecided on the KL vs Manila one, and I'd be equally undecided on a KL vs BKK one).

BUT...this is against Singapore! A world-famous city with a ton of amenities, a high quality of life, and on and on. I really don't mind the 'laws'...as I don't have any intention of smuggling drugs or doing drugs in SG. I really can't think of any other law that bothers people so much, except for that one.

In short, SG would have to get my vote, only because it's an excellent functional world city with all the international amenities available to it. Could I afford it is another matter altogether though!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:36 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,203,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, KL is pretty car dominated for an Asian city when you think about. The rail stations aren't always conveniently located and the system isn't as easy to use. It reminds me a bit of Bangkok in that sense. Traffic is often bumper to bumper, which is rarely the case in Singapore due to the high public transport use. I wonder what percentage of commuters in KL use public transport?
I read it somewhere that around 20% of the citizen commute everyday, its very low even though it has one of the most complex public transportation coverage.

I think i would rather live in KL since Singapore is very expensive city, despite its quality of life and advantages. Singapore is definitely better since its a developed first world city, though KL offers more than the small Singapore by miles.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 PM

23,728 posts, read 24,827,475 times
Which city is on the whole more socially liberal?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,765,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Which city is on the whole more socially liberal?
Singapore, definitely. If you're a Muslim in Malaysia it's not much better than much of the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or