U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Iloilo is known for its old Spanish churches and buildings, one of them being a UNESCO World Heritage Site. But if you're not an architecture and history person, I guess you'll not enjoy it there.
I did actually see those in Iloilo, but I saw those throughout the Philippines as well.

I also saw a ton of gorgeous British colonial architecture in Singapore, and ton of gorgeous French colonial architecture in Hanoi...

I wouldn't necessarily but Iloilo in the same league whatsoever though. Vigan or Manila seems like they would be much better places to get that in though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I did actually see those in Iloilo, but I saw those throughout the Philippines as well.

I also saw a ton of gorgeous British colonial architecture in Singapore, and ton of gorgeous French colonial architecture in Hanoi...

I wouldn't necessarily but Iloilo in the same league whatsoever though.
What are some of your favourite buildings in Singapore? I guess the Raffles is a given, lol. It exudes old world colonial charm.

Hanoi is a unique mix of tropical SE Asia with French architecture. When I was there in winter it felt cold after Central VN (high of 17C) so it did feel a bit European haha.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are some of your favourite buildings in Singapore? I guess the Raffles is a given, lol. It exudes old world colonial charm.

Hanoi is a unique mix of tropical SE Asia with French architecture. When I was there in winter it felt cold after Central VN (high of 17C) so it did feel a bit European haha.
The Raffles stands out because it's so famous. But, I just like the look and feel of much of Singapore. I have 100s and 100s of shots just of all the cool buildings. If I had to pinpoint distinct areas though, I'd say most of what I saw around Clark Quay, Chinatown, Little India, and a bunch of neighborhoods walking between Clark Quay to Chinatown. I'd have look at a map, but Singapore was just absolutely chocked full of gorgeously beautiful architecture all over the place.

I suppose it's copyright infringement if I just took a random one off the internet.

Ahmm...just did google search 'singapore chinatown architecture'...and anything with the bright colors. Saw that in many places though, not just the Chinatown area, bit it was the only area I could readily think of to pull up neighborhood styles and such in Singapore.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
The Raffles stands out because it's so famous. But, I just like the look and feel of much of Singapore. I have 100s and 100s of shots just of all the cool buildings. If I had to pinpoint distinct areas though, I'd say most of what I saw around Clark Quay, Chinatown, Little India, and a bunch of neighborhoods walking between Clark Quay to Chinatown. I'd have look at a map, but Singapore was just absolutely chocked full of gorgeously beautiful architecture all over the place.

I suppose it's copyright infringement if I just took a random one off the internet.

Ahmm...just did google search 'singapore chinatown architecture'...and anything with the bright colors. Saw that in many places though, not just the Chinatown area, bit it was the only area I could readily think of to pull up neighborhood styles and such in Singapore.
Yes like Clarke Quay and Boat Quay. Also check out Joo Chiat, in eastern Singapore, next time you're there. Little India is great too.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,063,447 times
Quote:

You can give credits by linking back to the owner of the photos

This is one of my faves in Singapore, the old supreme court:

Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM

84 posts, read 368,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The Philppines in general is underrated. Indonesia too.
Yes, comparing to other SEA countries like Singapore,Thailand,Malaysia,Vietnam both of them are obviously underrated than other countries.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,580 times
The Philippines is underrated in general. However, depending on individual preferences, I would recommend different places. I find that most visitors to the Philippines expect to see a white-sand beach and Filipinos need to understand that non-Filipinos do not share their desire to spend the entire day in a shopping mall.

If you are the type who want to spend the entire vacation at the beach, then Boracay is the place to go. Less crowded and more spectacular scenery but more expensive is El Nido, Palawan (and you basically eat and stay in the hotel as there's no other options). Even more isolated and even more expensive with stellar service and equally stellar prices is Amanpulo.

Cebu is the preferred port of entry if you are the type who wants to spend some time at the beach, do some shopping, look at some history and eat Filipino food, international fare or what you miss from home. It may not be the best in each individual department, but it maintains a very good balance. If one prefers more rural settings, one can easily go to the small islands, Bantayan, Camotes, Nalusuan, Malapascua and Sumilon. Also an easy trip from Cebu is Bohol, which also has wonderful beaches, the Chocolate Hills and a jungle river you can take a cruise on.

Northern Mindanao is nice for those who want to see some mountains and stay near pineapple plantations. Camiguin is the place to go for white-sand beaches and is much cheaper compared to other areas. Davao is also a nice place to see where they grow fruits, vegetables and orchids. Samal Island is where one can relax near the beach.

In Luzon, I believe the better beaches are in Camarines Sur.

For visit to small islands or rural areas, one should be forewarned that there are limited meal options. If you don't know how to mix soy sauce, calamansi, etc. to make your own sauce, it would be helpful if you can bring a bottle of your favorite sauce (such as Tabasco) just in case you find the food bland or not to your taste. There are also limited options for vegetarians outside the larger cities and there is no concept of kosher or halal in most places.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 AM

I think just staying on the beach for a whole day is pretty boring. I've been to so many beaches, I tend to just go for a swim, sunbathe/chill out for an hour or two, and then I get restless. I'm lazy but not THAT lazy lol. I do enjoy other water-sports like snorkelling, or surfing, going on a jet-ski (actually haven't tried it yet but want to).

I'm most interested in culture and eco-tourism, myself.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,063,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The Philippines is underrated in general. However, depending on individual preferences, I would recommend different places. I find that most visitors to the Philippines expect to see a white-sand beach and Filipinos need to understand that non-Filipinos do not share their desire to spend the entire day in a shopping mall.

If you are the type who want to spend the entire vacation at the beach, then Boracay is the place to go. Less crowded and more spectacular scenery but more expensive is El Nido, Palawan (and you basically eat and stay in the hotel as there's no other options). Even more isolated and even more expensive with stellar service and equally stellar prices is Amanpulo.

Cebu is the preferred port of entry if you are the type who wants to spend some time at the beach, do some shopping, look at some history and eat Filipino food, international fare or what you miss from home. It may not be the best in each individual department, but it maintains a very good balance. If one prefers more rural settings, one can easily go to the small islands, Bantayan, Camotes, Nalusuan, Malapascua and Sumilon. Also an easy trip from Cebu is Bohol, which also has wonderful beaches, the Chocolate Hills and a jungle river you can take a cruise on.

Northern Mindanao is nice for those who want to see some mountains and stay near pineapple plantations. Camiguin is the place to go for white-sand beaches and is much cheaper compared to other areas. Davao is also a nice place to see where they grow fruits, vegetables and orchids. Samal Island is where one can relax near the beach.

In Luzon, I believe the better beaches are in Camarines Sur.

For visit to small islands or rural areas, one should be forewarned that there are limited meal options. If you don't know how to mix soy sauce, calamansi, etc. to make your own sauce, it would be helpful if you can bring a bottle of your favorite sauce (such as Tabasco) just in case you find the food bland or not to your taste. There are also limited options for vegetarians outside the larger cities and there is no concept of kosher or halal in most places.
Thanks for the summary. Am thinking of Palawan (El Nido), but reading your descriptions, seems like it's a pricey place then. What's the average price for a meal there? I'm still ok with USD 3-4 for an ala carte meal at a simple restaurant that excludes drinks (the price I paid for in Cambodia, which for a third world country is very expensive (even more expensive than here), but is still acceptable to me), but anymore than that would need my reconsideration. I read that Coron Islands cater to the budget crowd, but to reach them I'd need to take an additional flight which am not keen of doing (consumes more time in transit) so I'd better off exploring the main island (Palawan).

And oh, I'm mostly a budget traveller (backpacker) but I could accommodate a mid-range price should the need arises.

Last edited by kyh; 01-27-2013 at 02:46 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 04:18 AM

6,633 posts, read 8,340,323 times
Angeles City, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia