U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,971,875 times

Advertisements

Ejay, I don't think your province Ilo-Ilo is underrated. It looks nice in this video clip.

Beautiful Iloilo by BluQube Inc. - YouTube

Butuan City in Mindanao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdZq-feep8g
I guess this place is underrated.

Last edited by pinai; 01-27-2013 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM

55 posts, read 97,931 times
Subic Bay. Where Pinays head to meet a husband and get a 1 way ticket out of the Manila streets.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM

84 posts, read 368,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarah211 View Post
Subic Bay. Where Pinays head to meet a husband and get a 1 way ticket out of the Manila streets.
LOL It's a bay for them to go to start next life in oversea countries and leave living hell like Manila behind.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Angeles City, perhaps?
Not sure if I consider Angeles City underrated. It's a red-light district with an international budget airport (Clark).

Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Thanks for the summary. Am thinking of Palawan (El Nido), but reading your descriptions, seems like it's a pricey place then. What's the average price for a meal there? I'm still ok with USD 3-4 for an ala carte meal at a simple restaurant that excludes drinks (the price I paid for in Cambodia, which for a third world country is very expensive (even more expensive than here), but is still acceptable to me), but anymore than that would need my reconsideration. I read that Coron Islands cater to the budget crowd, but to reach them I'd need to take an additional flight which am not keen of doing (consumes more time in transit) so I'd better off exploring the main island (Palawan).

And oh, I'm mostly a budget traveller (backpacker) but I could accommodate a mid-range price should the need arises.
I haven't been to Palawan. All the people I know who went to El Nido went to the large resort which is really expensive. The reason is you can take the flights from Manila which is operated by the resort's sister company. They make it difficult for anyone not staying at their resort to take their flights.

The budget alternative is to fly to Puerto Princesa and take a bus from there to El Nido, which is a VERY long bus ride. Puerto Princesa is a good place to visit too, as it has the Underground River, so might be something you can look at. I know people who went to Puerto Princesa and they like the Underground River, but so far I don't know anyone who has experience with that bus ride to El Nido.

US$3 to US$4 probably is OK if you are reasonably close to the town center. Jollibee sells some meals less than that, but there is no Jollibee in El Nido. Anyway, there's a shortage of clean affordable restaurants in the countryside that cater to tourists. Instant noodles will come in handy. Also, in some small islands, and I believe in the budget places in El Nido, electricity may not be available 24 hours!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,063,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I haven't been to Palawan. All the people I know who went to El Nido went to the large resort which is really expensive. The reason is you can take the flights from Manila which is operated by the resort's sister company. They make it difficult for anyone not staying at their resort to take their flights.

The budget alternative is to fly to Puerto Princesa and take a bus from there to El Nido, which is a VERY long bus ride. Puerto Princesa is a good place to visit too, as it has the Underground River, so might be something you can look at. I know people who went to Puerto Princesa and they like the Underground River, but so far I don't know anyone who has experience with that bus ride to El Nido.

US$3 to US$4 probably is OK if you are reasonably close to the town center. Jollibee sells some meals less than that, but there is no Jollibee in El Nido. Anyway, there's a shortage of clean affordable restaurants in the countryside that cater to tourists. Instant noodles will come in handy. Also, in some small islands, and I believe in the budget places in El Nido, electricity may not be available 24 hours!
I'm planning to fly AirAsia since it now has connections to PP from Clark (easier for me since I'd either fly from KL or SG - depending on where I'd end up working in). PP looks good to me, and I read it's one of the cleanest cities in the Phils.

Long rides are quite ok to me, as I've taken some before in my past travels. I've read about the Underground River too, and I'd allocate time to visit that.

I'm ok with street food and roadside stalls too, provided the hygiene is not way too questionable. I'm not a hygiene freak that insists on eating at restaurants everytime. And yeah, I'd probably pack some cup noodles or snacks just in case. Bread would come in handy too.

And oh, no prob with the electricity... I once stayed on Bunaken Island in North Sulawesi, Indonesia and the electricity only runs from dusk to dawn! I'd probably chill my time away on the beach or go island-hopping so I won't be in my room for most of the day, me guess.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I'm planning to fly AirAsia since it now has connections to PP from Clark (easier for me since I'd either fly from KL or SG - depending on where I'd end up working in). PP looks good to me, and I read it's one of the cleanest cities in the Phils.

Long rides are quite ok to me, as I've taken some before in my past travels. I've read about the Underground River too, and I'd allocate time to visit that.

I'm ok with street food and roadside stalls too, provided the hygiene is not way too questionable. I'm not a hygiene freak that insists on eating at restaurants everytime. And yeah, I'd probably pack some cup noodles or snacks just in case. Bread would come in handy too.

And oh, no prob with the electricity... I once stayed on Bunaken Island in North Sulawesi, Indonesia and the electricity only runs from dusk to dawn! I'd probably chill my time away on the beach or go island-hopping so I won't be in my room for most of the day, me guess.
AirAsia no longer flies CRK to PPS. You can try Cebu Pacific, but their service is also not good. From KUL, you can fly via MNL or CEB to PPS. From SIN, you can fly via MNL, CEB or ILO to PPS. All these budget airlines tend to change their schedules quite a bit though, so have to check again later.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
kyh

Quote:
AirAsia no longer flies CRK to PPS. You can try Cebu Pacific, but their service is also not good. From KUL, you can fly via MNL or CEB to PPS. From SIN, you can fly via MNL, CEB or ILO to PPS. All these budget airlines tend to change their schedules quite a bit though, so have to check again later.
Oh thanks for the heads up! Din know they have dropped the route - since they only launched it last yr!

Cebu Pacific ain't good? How's that compared to AirAsia (AA)? But I wouldn't expect budget airlines to provide star-rated services. And as long as it's acceptable (or at least on par with AA - whose services I'm mostly satisfied with, though there are glitches at times - am a backpacker on a budget, that's why i don't expect much), I'd be fine.

I have also read about ZestAir and Philippine Airlines. How are their services? Guess PhilAir ain't budget?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Oh thanks for the heads up! Din know they have dropped the route - since they only launched it last yr!

Cebu Pacific ain't good? How's that compared to AirAsia (AA)? But I wouldn't expect budget airlines to provide star-rated services. And as long as it's acceptable (or at least on par with AA - whose services I'm mostly satisfied with, though there are glitches at times - am a backpacker on a budget, that's why i don't expect much), I'd be fine.

I have also read about ZestAir and Philippine Airlines. How are their services? Guess PhilAir ain't budget?
I haven't tried AirAsia. Cebu Pacific is OK most of the time, but I usually take the busier routes. Biggest problem with them is when there are flight cancellations for whatever reason. For weather problems, it is standard among budget airlines not to extend assistance to passengers. However, there were some cancellations due to the route not having enough passengers, and they were still hesitant to help the passengers. For this reason, I will advise against the ILO-PPS route as that is their newest one and not sure how profitable that is for them. You should also arrive early at the airport as the airline has a track record of refusing check in and forfeiting non-refundable tickets for those who arrive less than an hour before the scheduled departure time. Onboard purchases and extra baggage are expensive, but that's probably common among budget airlines.

Zestair is also a budget airline. Philippine Airlines isn't budget, but Airphil Express is and it is Airphil Express that flies a lot of their domestic routes. I personally prefer Airphil Express and Cebu Pacific over Zestair (which I haven't tried yet) based on the age of their fleet.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 AM
kyh

Quote:
I haven't tried AirAsia. Cebu Pacific is OK most of the time, but I usually take the busier routes. Biggest problem with them is when there are flight cancellations for whatever reason. For weather problems, it is standard among budget airlines not to extend assistance to passengers. However, there were some cancellations due to the route not having enough passengers, and they were still hesitant to help the passengers. For this reason, I will advise against the ILO-PPS route as that is their newest one and not sure how profitable that is for them. You should also arrive early at the airport as the airline has a track record of refusing check in and forfeiting non-refundable tickets for those who arrive less than an hour before the scheduled departure time. Onboard purchases and extra baggage are expensive, but that's probably common among budget airlines.

Zestair is also a budget airline. Philippine Airlines isn't budget, but Airphil Express is and it is Airphil Express that flies a lot of their domestic routes. I personally prefer Airphil Express and Cebu Pacific over Zestair (which I haven't tried yet) based on the age of their fleet.
Thanks once again!

So it now narrows down to either Airphil Express and Cebu Pacific. Which one is better, if I may ask? Where are the hubs of these airlines located - Clark or Manila? Does Airphil Express have flights to/from KL and Singapore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia