Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times

Advertisements

^ Thats in Bali, where most of the population is Hindu

Old 06-03-2013, 03:13 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Thats in Bali, where most of the population is Hindu
What is the name of the dish?

oh I found already
Quote:
In Indonesia pig roast is called babi guling, babi panggang or babi bakar and it is rarely found since Indonesia is a muslim majority country, except in non-muslim majority provinces, such as Hindu Bali and Christian Batak lands in North Sumatra, Minahasa people of North Sulawesi, Toraja in South Sulawesi, Papua, and also among Chinese Indonesians. In Bali babi guling usually served with lawar and steamed rice, it is popular dish in Balinese restaurant and warungs.[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] In Batak people tradition, babi guling is a prerequisite in wedding offering for the bride family. In Papua pigs and yams is roasted in heated stones filled in the hole dug on the ground and covered with leaves, this cooking method is called bakar batu (burning the stone), and it is an important cultural and social event among Papuan people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_roast

Minahasa is where the Spaniards and Portuguese went. The Manado or Minahasa. So Hindu eat porks too.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:15 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Who cares? Lechon is just a name. People all over the world eat roasted pig. Chinese and Polynesians eat it too. It doesnt make Filipinos more Spanish.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Who cares? Lechon is just a name. People all over the world eat roasted pig. Chinese and Polynesians eat it too. It doesnt make Filipinos more Spanish.
Who cares? at least I know the history of the food I eat and at least I know where I can go in
Indonesia at which area we can eat roasted pigs because majority are muslim so obviously not everyone eat pork.

Last edited by pinai; 06-03-2013 at 04:42 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes Malaysians and Indonesians are our brothers and sisters in looks but our culture is very similar to Latin Americans. We may have similarities with Malaysians and Indonesians too since they are our ancestors as well but we cannot deny the similarities that we also have with Latin Americans.

Yes we are similar to Malaysians and Indonesians but is the majority of the Filipinos Muslim as Indonesians and Malaysians ?

Do we also have foods using a lot of curry paste and a lot of galangal root ? Are Filipino foods spicy ?

Filipinos are always basing everything on looks and geography and omitting culture. Same culture that was shared by Spain to all its colonies. You might have also forgotten that Mexico governed the Philippines for 250 years and there were many Mexicans who came to the Philippines and Filipinos to Mexico because of the galleon trade. It's normal that during 2 centuries, these 2 countries exchanged cultures with one another.

These are some things that Spain shared to the Philippines and Latin America

Religion
Spanish names and surnames
Spanish language ( Spanish was the official language before the arrival of Americans.. Though the modern Filipinos do not speak Spanish but in the Visayas we use 6,000 Spanish words .
Town fiestas
Semana Santa activities ( procession and carrying of images ) with Mexico, they also have reenactment
Misa de gallo ( morning mass 9 days before Christmas --- Mexico
Filipino original clothes ( maria clara gown )
Food ( Caldereta, Mechado, Afritada, Menudo, Empanada, Embotido, Pastillas de Leche, Leche Flan, Yemas, Polvorones, Brazos, Barquillos, Bizcocho etc.

Our Pan de Sal and Pan de Leche was also introduced by the Spanish
I just found out Chicharon too, I always order Chicharon everytime I commute and travel from the bus back and forth in Manila & I don't even know that it was a dish again from Spain. Until I saw in a forum on sharing food dish from different countries when someone recognized it & they also have the same name.

Quote:
Chicharrón ([SIZE=2]Spanish pronunciation: [tʃitʃaˈron], [/SIZE]Portuguese: Torresmo [tuˈʁeʒmu], Filipino: chicharon, Chamorro: tsatsalun) is a dish made of fried pork rinds. It is sometimes made from chicken, mutton, or beef

Chicharrón is popular in Andalucia, Spain, and in Latin America and other countries with Spanish influence. It is part of the traditional cuisines of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil (where it is called torresmo), Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guam, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and others. The singular form, chicharrón, is also used as a mass noun, especially in Filipino, in which stand-alone plurals do not exist. They are usually made with different cuts of pork, but sometimes are made with mutton, or with beef in Argentina. In Costa Rica, they are usually made from pork ribs or similar cuts; rinds are rarely used.
Chicharrón - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Picadillo/Giniling
Quote:
In the Philippines, picadillo is a soupy dish traditionally made with ground beef and either potatoes or chayote. There are also drier versions of the dish. It is also called giniling, Filipino for ground meat. What Cubans call picadillo is known as Arroz a la Cubana to Filipinos. The Philippine version is similar to normal Latino picadillo usually made with raisins, tomato sauce and diced potatoes added, but without green olives and capers, and is often served with white rice, fried plantains (maduros in Spanish, saging na saba in Filipino) on the side, and a fried egg on top. Boiled eggs are also eaten with the dish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picadillo

the marinated beef steak too has the same name as bistec and us bistek.

Last edited by pinai; 06-03-2013 at 05:00 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
Have you seen Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations: Indonesia?
Indonesia has his favourite pork dish in the world and it looks like the Filipino pork lechon, just different herbs!

No Reservations -Indonesia- 4 - YouTube
I thought Muslims don't eat Pork ?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I just found out Chicharon too, I always order Chicharon everytime I commute and travel from the bus back and forth in Manila & I don't even know that it was a dish again from Spain. Until I saw in a forum on sharing food dish from different countries when someone recognized it & they also have the same name.

Chicharrón - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Picadillo/Giniling

Picadillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the marinated beef steak too has the same name as bistec and us bistek.
Yes Chicharon is Spanish and Portuguese ( though in Portugal they have a different word for it).

Yes I forgot Picadillo... My family's favourite recipe. It is indeed very similar to Arroz a la Cubana.

Yes the name Bistek ( Filipino Beef steak ) was taken from Spanish word Bistec which means Beef steak

here are some Spanish words of some vegetables and fruits we've adopted, it's not complete of course, these are just some examples that I remember.

Mani - Peanuts
Raddish- rabanos
Calabaza- pumpkin
Maiz- corn
Lechugas- lettuce
Repollo-- Cabbage
Cebollas ( sebuyas ) Onion
Ajos--- Garlic ( Visayas )
Amargoso-- ampalaya or bitter melon (Visayas)
Manzanas-- Apple
Uvas --- Grapes
Pina--- pineapple
Sandia --- watermelon ( visayas )
Melon -- melon
Anonas -- anonas ( family of atis and guyabano )

Locos -- Squid

Old 06-03-2013, 05:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
I particularly associated the big roasting pig thing as an Austronesian/Polynesian thing.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I particularly associated the big roasting pig thing as an Austronesian/Polynesian thing.
Spanish and Portuguese love eating ( Lechon ) too which is the roasted pig only that they particularly prefer the baby called Lechon de Leche.

Well, it is probably eaten everywhere but Filipinos are really crazy about it and has become a symbol of Philippines that every party won't be complete without a whole big roasted pig on the table.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Spanish and Portuguese love eating ( Lechon ) too which is the roasted pig only that they particularly prefer the baby called Lechon de Leche.

Well, it is probably eaten everywhere but Filipinos are really crazy about it and has become a symbol of Philippines that every party won't be complete without a whole big roasted pig on the table.
Indeed, everyone enjoys a good roasted pig, well except maybe Jews and Muslims and some Hindus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia