U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Philippines probably appears less authentically Asian compared to most of Indonesia. However, it would take extensive visiting to figure out if they really feel Asian.

Philippines continues to be Christianity majority and having historical Spain relations. The food scene also does not compare well to Asian countries.

Indonesia is having a different form of Islam compared to most of Middle East, being more secular, and not nearly as much of the very negative stereotypical views of Muslim.

However, some islands of Indonesia have less of this majority influence compared to the other islands, and even being Hindu and Christianity majority instead of Muslim. The island of Bali is Hindu religion majority, and Papua province Western New Guinea island being Christianity majority.

What noticeable Dutch influence is in Java island of Indonesia?

The variety in island culture for Indonesia is unknown and not familiar to most people.
It's better you go and check the culture of the Filipinos. Try to go to the tribal communities in the mountain province and you'll see that they do maintained their animistic tradition as well as other tribal like the Negritos, the Muslim Communities in the Southern Philippines, Mindanao also maintained their Islamic Culture tradition that can resemble to other Southeast Asian Muslims like Indonesia and Malaysia. The Provincial Christian Fishermen and Farmers developed and mix hispanic and native Filipino cultures like fiestas which we usually celebrate patron saints, one of the example is the patron of the farmers San Isidro Labrador (Pahiyas Festival, Carabao Festival etc.)
philippines fiesta san isidro labrador -

Some of the Christian lowland Dances also connected to Church. like the dance of the small island in Palawan, The 'Sayaw sa Cuyo'.

Quote:
Sayaw sa Cuyo is a mazurka danced by eight girls swaying small delicate handkerchiefs to accent turns and twirls. Tiny paper crowns make the dancers feel like young princesses. The dance originates from Cuyo, Palawan.
Sayaw - Philippine Dances
(Cuyo, Palawan) On the small island of Cuyo, Palawan's old capital, the feast day of St. Augustin is traditionally celebrated with parades, processions and small performances by groups coming from all over Cuyo Island and the nearby islets. Island dances, blended with strong Old Cuyo ethnicity and Spanish-influenced steps, are all brought out when Cuyo celebrates its festivals. Today, pretty young girls daintily swirl hats to the waltz and other European steps designed to bring out the freshness and glow of the performers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fexp5L85F_U

So it's better you go to the Philippines and check our culture & hopefully you'll understand.

Last edited by pinai; 05-27-2013 at 10:16 PM..

 
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Philippines probably appears less authentically Asian compared to most of Indonesia. However, it would take extensive visiting to figure out if they really feel Asian.

Philippines continues to be Christianity majority and having historical Spain relations. The food scene also does not compare well to Asian countries.

Indonesia is having a different form of Islam compared to most of Middle East, being more secular, and not nearly as much of the very negative stereotypical views of Muslim.

However, some islands of Indonesia have less of this majority influence compared to the other islands, and even being Hindu and Christianity majority instead of Muslim. The island of Bali is Hindu religion majority, and Papua province Western New Guinea island being Christianity majority.

What noticeable Dutch influence is in Java island of Indonesia?

The variety in island culture for Indonesia is unknown and not familiar to most people.
Depends were one visits in the Philippines...I agree major cities like Manila tend to be less asian...as spanish culture is strong there

but provinces in Visayas and Mindanao are almost similar to any Southeast Asian Country in many aspects
 
Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,842,870 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Asia is diverse, but I think the stereotypical 'Asian' cultural traits include an Eastern religion, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Jainism, Sikhism...Islam links Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan with the Middle East, and the cultural influence is quite deep, extending to names, for instance. Many Indonesians have Arabic first names like Muhammed. Of course, Indonesia was once ruled by both Hindu and Buddhist kingdoms, influenced by India and Southeast Asia. Java was once ruled by Hindu/Buddhist kingdoms, and many old ruins and buildings can still be still. Bali is a remnant of the old Hindu influence.

Malaysia is somewhat similar to Indonesia is how Islamic it is, and most Muslim women there wear the hijab. Many men wear a distinctive cap as well. The call to prayer is often heard early in the mornings, and many shops are closed on Friday.

Indonesia is culturally diverse. Yes, many of the islands are majority Christian like Sulawesi.

I think the Philippines used to be more Muslim dominated. I don't know if Buddhism ever made much of an impact there. Now it's mostly practiced by some of the ethnic Chinese there.
Well, its not only about spirituality/religion for a place being very Asian. This is also about cultural image, scenery, lifestyle, people scene, geography, history, and entertainment options/activities in a country.

South Korea is very Asian, even while Christianity became more popular there recently with 30% of the population being Christian and 23% being Buddhist.

Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Jainism are all originally Asian religions.

Malaysia in my opinion is very Asian, much more than Indonesia, even if there is Muslim influence. Malaysia and Indonesia follow a very different version of Islam compared to the Middle East, more secular, and having more of a mix in religious demographics. They don’t actually have 90% to 100% of the population being Muslim, and even have some regions of the country being Christianity, Hindu, or Buddhist majority instead of Muslim, so it really depends on exact region.

In Malaysia, 60% of the population is Muslim, 20% Buddhist, 9% Christianity, 6% Hindu, so Malaysia is kind of a mixed religion nation, even if having an overall majority religion. I assume most of the ethnic Chinese in Malaysia are Buddhist, Indian Hindu, and Malays Muslim.

In Penang and Kuala Lumpur there is almost an even mix of Buddhists and Muslims, and even a noticeable smaller Christianity and Hindu community. Sarawak region of Borneo is Christianity majority. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ipoh is Buddhist majority.

Indonesia is more Muslim than Malaysia and 87% of the population. However, Bali island of Indonesia is Hindu majority, and Salawasi island, Papua province Western New Guinea island being Christianity majority.

I already knew Malaysia is very impressive, and worth visiting.

However, Philippines and Indonesia are more impressive than I realized and I am starting to find them interesting too.
 
Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 AM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,842,870 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
It's better you go and check the culture of the Filipinos. Try to go to the tribal communities in the mountain province and you'll see that they do maintained their animistic tradition as well as other tribal like the Negritos, the Muslim Communities in the Southern Philippines, Mindanao also maintained their Islamic Culture tradition that can resemble to other Southeast Asian Muslims like Indonesia and Malaysia. The Provincial Christian Fishermen and Farmers developed and mix hispanic and native Filipino cultures like fiestas which we usually celebrate patron saints, one of the example is the patron of the farmers San Isidro Labrador (Pahiyas Festival, Carabao Festival etc.)philippines fiesta san isidro labrador -

Some of the Christian lowland Dances also connected to Church. like the dance of the small island in Palawan, The 'Sayaw sa Cuyo'.

So it's better you go to the Philippines and check our culture & hopefully you'll understand.
Yes, there is noticeable variation in the entire country of the Philippines. There appears to be an intricate mix of rich cultural traditions in Philippines, and a large amount of islands having a varied culture.

People are able to know some of this information without visiting from reading about places on the internet, and seeing photos. However, visiting is also very important too for getting to know a country very well.

The light of peace Philippines sky lantern topic shows a very good image for the Philippines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Depends were one visits in the Philippines...I agree major cities like Manila tend to be less asian...as spanish culture is strong there but provinces in Visayas and Mindanao are almost similar to any Southeast Asian Country in many aspects
I agree this depends on exact region. Some areas of Philippines have more historical Spanish influence, while other areas might feel more Southeast Asian.

The Philippines people I met show this division and either appearing a bit more Spanish Hispanic, or more Southeast Asian, while all being native Filipino.

However, Philippines and Indonesia overall sometimes appears out of place with Asia, and being less authentically Asian compared to the more Asian Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, India, China, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan.

I wonder if people in Spain know well the historical relations with Philippines, because the influence is quite noticeable, or if they kind of forgot about it.
 
Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Well, its not only about spirituality/religion for a place being very Asian. This is also about cultural image, scenery, lifestyle, people scene, geography, history, and entertainment options/activities in a country.

South Korea is very Asian, even while Christianity became more popular there recently with 30% of the population being Christian and 23% being Buddhist.

Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Jainism are all originally Asian religions.

Malaysia in my opinion is very Asian, much more than Indonesia, even if there is Muslim influence. Malaysia and Indonesia follow a very different version of Islam compared to the Middle East, more secular, and having more of a mix in religious demographics. They don’t actually have 90% to 100% of the population being Muslim, and even have some regions of the country being Christianity, Hindu, or Buddhist majority instead of Muslim, so it really depends on exact region.

In Malaysia, 60% of the population is Muslim, 20% Buddhist, 9% Christianity, 6% Hindu, so Malaysia is kind of a mixed religion nation, even if having an overall majority religion. I assume most of the ethnic Chinese in Malaysia are Buddhist, Indian Hindu, and Malays Muslim.

In Penang and Kuala Lumpur there is almost an even mix of Buddhists and Muslims, and even a noticeable smaller Christianity and Hindu community. Sarawak region of Borneo is Christianity majority. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ipoh is Buddhist majority.

Indonesia is more Muslim than Malaysia and 87% of the population. However, Bali island of Indonesia is Hindu majority, and Salawasi island, Papua province Western New Guinea island being Christianity majority.

I already knew Malaysia is very impressive, and worth visiting.

However, Philippines and Indonesia are more impressive than I realized and I am starting to find them interesting too.
Malaysia's tourism campaign slogan is 'Truly Asia' and I think it's very apt, it brings together the major cultures of Asia, Indic, Sinitic and Polynesian, together. I don't see Malay culture as 'less' Asian just different. There is interesting interplay between cultures, like the Indian Muslim community, and the Peranakan/Nonya-Baba/Straits Chinese combination of Malay and Chinese culture. A visit to Malaysia has to include both Penang and Malacca to experience this rich cultural tapestry.

Malays in Malaysia are by law required to be Muslim. I think if they apostate their are legal implications. A non-Malay marrying a Malay must legally convert. I'm not sure what my uncle did when he married. There is a sizeable Protestant and Catholic community in Malaysia. My dad was involved in a church in KL but he converted when he was living in NZ. He was brought up Buddhist and his ancestors were active in the Buddhist community in Penang. Ipoh is very Buddhist, you are right. East Malaysia is mostly Christian because most of the local peoples have now converted to Christianity.

Malaysia is much better for getting a taste of Asia. The Chinese culture has some surprisingly well preserved features, you will hear Mandarin, Hokkien and Cantonese spoken. The Indian community is also strong and still preserves a lot of Indian features. There are Indian villages, or were, not unlike those you would find in Tamil Nadu today. Indian food there is as good as anywhere in the world, trust me.

I would save Indonesia and the Philippines for later. Bali is the most accessible tourist place. It offers more than beach/shopping/nightlife, with many cultural and natural highlights. Sumatra would probably be my no. 2 destination, personally, then Java.
 
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Reputation: 796
Philippines is a fusion of the East and the West.
Does it have to be authentically Asian to be able to compete with it's neighbours ?
Having a fusion of East and West and having a different religion makes it unique from the rest of it's neighbours.
 
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I think yes, there are so many Filipinos in Spain.

Babel en TVE - comunidad filipina que reside en España - YouTube


Filipino Businesswomen in Spain - YouTube
Filipino businesswomen in Spain.

Lol and they have this one

They are selling Filipinos biscuit in Spain

and we are selling Spanish bread in the Philippines



Spain and Philippines relationship is getting better
since the Spain-Philippines friendship day began.

The Spanish Cooperation in the Philippines - YouTube
AECID Philippines is an organization from Spain
AECID ::. Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo
That Filipinos biscuit was my favourite when I was still living in Portugal.
It's coated in dark or white chocolate... I miss having that
 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Reputation: 1798
If you say "Filipino" in Spain, they think about the snack. They dont even think about the people. And I wouldnt say there are "so many" Filipinos in Spain. I only saw them in Madrid and Barcelona. In Madrid, there were tons, but I dont think there were that many compared to other groups, I just noticed them more. I remember one day I saw at least a hundred in an hour. In Barcelona I think I saw a handful but I was only there a couple days
 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
If you say "Filipino" in Spain, they think about the snack. They dont even think about the people. And I wouldnt say there are "so many" Filipinos in Spain. I only saw them in Madrid and Barcelona. In Madrid, there were tons, but I dont think there were that many compared to other groups, I just noticed them more. I remember one day I saw at least a hundred in an hour. In Barcelona I think I saw a handful but I was only there a couple days
There are many because I have Filipino friends there who told me their community is big. I was able to attend the mass in the Filipino church. Former President Gloria Macapagal visited the Filipino community in Madrid in 2006. I guess she wouldn't go there and meet the community if there were just few Filipinos.

There are also Filipinos in other places in Spain including Canarias.

I believe if America didn't take over the Philippines , the Filipino emigrants would also be millions in Spain.
Language is also another factor although majority of Filipinos get to learn and speak Spanish so fast and easily once they get settled in Spain.

There are lots of seasonal jobs in Spain open for Latin Americans to work in hotels. If Filipinos are up to now, still able to speak Spanish, they would also be hiring them.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-30-2013 at 01:44 AM..
 
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
There are many because I have Filipino friends there who told me their community is big. I was able to attend the mass in the Filipino church. Former President Gloria Macapagal visited the Filipino community in Madrid in 2006. I guess she wouldn't go there and meet the community if there were just few Filipinos.

There are also Filipinos in other places in Spain including Canarias.
& also they were well accepted. unlike before that there was racism based from history books that we read...
I also know some Filipinos in Spain, the sister and brother-in-law of my auntie's husband is also working there right now.


GOT TALENT (spain) filipina-MARIZ won 100,000


Entrevista a Alexandra ex concursante de operación Triunfo - YouTube
Alexandra Masangkay Escalano

Last edited by pinai; 05-30-2013 at 02:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top