U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
There are many because I have Filipino friends there who told me their community is big. I was able to attend the mass in the Filipino church. Former President Gloria Macapagal visited the Filipino community in Madrid in 2006. I guess she wouldn't go there and meet the community if there were just few Filipinos.

There are also Filipinos in other places in Spain including Canarias.

I believe if America didn't take over the Philippines , the Filipino emigrants would also be millions in Spain.
Language is also another factor although majority of Filipinos get to learn and speak Spanish so fast and easily once they get settled in Spain.

There are lots of seasonal jobs in Spain open for Latin Americans to work in hotels. If Filipinos are up to now, still able to speak Spanish, they would also be hiring them.
Maybe in Madrid, but you hardly see Filipinos anywhere else in Spain. And Madrid is full of people from Latin America, so Filipinos aren't even one of the top immigrant groups. It even depends on where you are in Madrid. Some places were swarming with Filipinos and other places werent

Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Maybe in Madrid, but you hardly see Filipinos anywhere else in Spain. And Madrid is full of people from Latin America, so Filipinos aren't even one of the top immigrant groups. It even depends on where you are in Madrid. Some places were swarming with Filipinos and other places werent
We cannot compare the population of Latin Americans to Filipinos because they have more advantage than Filipinos because of language ( although again, Filipinos get to learn Espanol right away once they are fully settled in Spain ), so Spain really opens more jobs for Latin Americans especially seasonal jobs in hotels. Plus, Latin Americans are more exposed to Spanish culture
( except for Mexico and Puerto Rico ) notwithstanding being near United States of America unlike Filipinos who are more divided between Spanish and American culture especially the younger generation who do not really seem to know or appreciate Spanish culture any more as they are already more exposed to American culture so most young generation do not even consider Spain for emigration.

Filipinos are the 2nd largest Asian community in Spain.

If there was no America, Filipinos would be as many as Latin Americans in Spain, that's for sure.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Quote:
The other reasons why Filipinos aren't one of those top former colonies in Spain as immigrant is because the language barrier, even in Latin America. So Filipinos mostly went to the US, I saw an interview of one Filipina who used to be an accountant in the Philippines and work in Spain. She said the reason why she couldn't apply the job based on her experience in the Philippines is because one of the requirement is a perfect Spanish language, This is one of the reason why Philippine government and Spain wants to promote & re-introduce the language once again. US and other English speaking nation is not the only nation where Filipinos wanted work. Call center's client in the Philippines is also the Latin Americans and my schoolmate in high school work in call center in the Philippines and she took Spanish class for this because one of their biggest clients are Hispanic.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:40 PM

22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
The Filipino population in Spain simply isn't that big no matter what the reasons are. That's pretty much the end of it and I don't see Smtchll arguing anything else or the reasons for why that is.

If this is supposed to be a poll on which country I find more interesting, I'd go with Indonesia which seems more varied, better cuisine, and a wealth of ancient sites and monuments.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-30-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Yes because there are many closed minded Filipinos who think that learning Spanish is a waste of time and that they think that English is the only language that is important. What they do not realize is that if they learn Spanish, it will open more doors for them as they will have more options , they can work in Spain or Latin America. My sister who is working in a call centre in Manila told me, the ones who can speak Spanish can get more salary than the ones who know only English.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Filipino population in Spain simply isn't that big no matter what the reasons are. That's pretty much the end of it and I don't see Smtchll arguing anything else or the reasons for why that is.
Do you know how much is their population there ? Have you been to the Filipino gatherings there ? Seeing Filipinos there is different from attending their Filipino gatherings and knowing the community especially for someone who is not even a Filipino to begin with.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Quote:
Do you know how much is their population there ? Have you been to the Filipino gatherings there ? Seeing Filipinos there is different from attending their Filipino gatherings and knowing the community especially for someone who is not even a Filipino to begin with.
It's like 100,000 tops, and a lot of that is made up of the old Spanish families who left the Philippines during American rule and Japanese occupation.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Quote:
It's like 100,000 tops, and a lot of that is made up of the old Spanish families who left the Philippines during American rule and Japanese occupation.
One of Filipino Gatherings

Filipinas en España II - YouTube
Philippine Independence Day in Madrid, Spain

Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM

Yes it's around that 100,000. But give it time and it will grow because it is so easy for Filipinos to get the Spanish citizenship as it only takes 2 years for them. And there are many there who are able to bring their families.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:18 PM

22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Yea, you can look at census data easily and there are outside estimates as well. We all have the internet. There are way more Filipino people in other parts of Asia, developed Anglophone countries, and the Gulf States than there are in Spain. What is there to be contentious about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia