U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:21 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,853,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, you can look at census data easily and there are outside estimates as well. We all have the internet.
Which are not really so accurate sometimes.

According to Filipinos in Madrid when I attended their Filipino gathering they are around 100,000 and that was in 2003 when they told me that.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Yes, when you go to Madrid you feel like the percentage of Filipinos in Spain is way higher than what the official numbers say, but then once you leave Madrid you realize that almost all of the Filipinos in Spain live there. Barcelona also has Filipinos but not nearly as many

Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM

22,156 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Which are not really so accurate sometimes.

According to Filipinos in Madrid when I attended their Filipino gathering they are around 100,000 and that was in 2003 when they told me that.
Yea, and your hearsay isn't worth a second look either, right? The most reliable sources would be the national census and academic studies on the matter. No matter how you slice it though, even the most generous estimates aren't going to have the Filipino population at even a single percent of the total population in Spain. There is no room for contention on this, and I frankly don't understand why this should be a sticking point nor a point of pride.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yea, and your hearsay isn't worth a second look either, right? The most reliable sources would be the national census and academic studies on the matter. No matter how you slice it though, even the most generous estimates aren't going to have the Filipino population at even a single percent of the total population in Spain. There is no room for contention on this, and I frankly don't understand why this should be a sticking point nor a point of pride.
Of course I trust their word as they organise Filipino Independence Day Celebration every year as well as Christmas and other big Filipino events that require Filipinos to register.

Where is no competition here...I am not trying to say the Filipinos make up a big percentage of the total population in Spain. Frankly I don't understand why a Chinese guy who is not even a Filipino would even bother getting in to this argument.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Of course I trust their word as they organise Filipino Independence Day Celebration every year as well as Christmas and other big Filipino events that require Filipinos to register.
Yea, which they probably got with the census which is about 100,000 which is nowhere near even one percent which is very small which is entirely the point. What is so contentious about this?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yea, which they probably got with the census which is about 100,000 which is nowhere near even one percent which is very small which is entirely the point. What is so contentious about this?
Yeah just a hundred thousand but enough for the Spanish government to name one Avenue for Philippines and enough to build a monument of a Filipino hero.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah just a hundred thousand but enough for the Spanish government to name one Avenue for Philippines and enough to build a monument of a Filipino hero.
Uh, so?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,969,348 times
Quote:
Yea, you can look at census data easily and there are outside estimates as well. We all have the internet. There are way more Filipino people in other parts of Asia, developed Anglophone countries, and the Gulf States than there are in Spain. What is there to be contentious about?
Well, In my opinion Filipinos there are more welcome than in Hong Kong. They cannot even apply for residency and the only problem for Filipinos to move there is language & As far as I know there is a rule there in Hong Kong that anyone who stay there for about 7yrs are allowed to apply which the british implemented but because they are mostly domestic helpers this rights are not allowed for them and I guess because their numbers are threatening the Hong Kong people & Hong Kong is already under China, so If they cannot accommodate people then they should stop hiring & let their people work on the minimalistic jobs. They quite ignore the importance of this people through their economy, Indonesians face the same fate in Hong kong so for me, In my own opinion, if they only speak the Spanish I guess they'll just move there and might help boast Spain's economy. It will be an open door for them in Europe because Filipinos can apply for citizenship after 2 yrs of residency in Spain & Latin America too is one of the possible place to work. They should go to a place where society and country will accept them & not looking at them as 2nd class or just hired to be slaves.

Applying for Residency in Middle East is not open. They usually gave only for those who are married to their local people or if the government gave them rights like in Bahrain. They gave citizenship for Pakistanis if they work for the government. You have to have strong relation too, like I guess religion. But compared on how the OFW's being treated in Middle East and other East Asian country, I'll choose Middle East as much better place to work.

Multilingual is very much important for us, OFWs. I remembered I have colleague who wants to move to a cruise ship where there is much better salary and opportunity but then they are looking for people who knows other languages aside from English so from all the international known languages she took the Spanish & chose to learned the Spanish because for her at least it will be easier for her to adjust & catch up than knowing German, French, Mandarin, Hokkien, Japanese etc. due to the loanwords that was already there in Filipino.

Last edited by pinai; 05-30-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,969,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yes, when you go to Madrid you feel like the percentage of Filipinos in Spain is way higher than what the official numbers say, but then once you leave Madrid you realize that almost all of the Filipinos in Spain live there. Barcelona also has Filipinos but not nearly as many
There are group of Filipinos in Marbella, Andalucia area of Spain.

Filipino Catholic Community of Marbella Spain- Christmas Party - YouTube

Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Well, In my opinion Filipinos there are more welcome than in Hong Kong. They cannot even apply for residency and the only problem for Filipinos to move there is language & As far as I know there is a rule there in Hong Kong that anyone who stay there for about 7yrs are allowed to apply which the british implemented but because they are mostly domestic helpers this rights are not allowed for them and I guess because their numbers are threatening the Hong Kong people & Hong Kong is already under China, so If they cannot accommodate people then they should stop hiring & let their people work on the minimalistic jobs. They quite ignore the importance of this people through their economy, Indonesians face the same fate in Hong kong so for me, In my own opinion, if they only speak the Spanish I guess they'll just move there and might help boast Spain's economy. It will be an open door for them in Europe because Filipinos can apply for citizenship after 2 yrs of residency in Spain & Latin America too is one of the possible place to work. They should go to a place where society and country will accept them & not looking at them as 2nd class or just hired to be slaves.

Applying for Residency in Middle East is not open. They usually gave only for those who are married to their local people or if the government gave them rights like in Bahrain. They gave citizenship for Pakistanis if they work for the government. You have to have strong relation too, like I guess religion. But compared on how the OFW's being treated in Middle East and other East Asian country, I'll choose Middle East as much better place to work.

Multilingual is very much important for us, OFWs. I remembered I have colleague who wants to move to a cruise ship where there is much better salary and opportunity but then they are looking for people who knows other languages aside from English so from all the international known languages she took the Spanish & chose to learned the Spanish because for her at least it will be easier for her to adjust & catch up than knowing German, French, Mandarin, Hokkien, Japanese etc. due to the loanwords that was already there in Filipino.
I agree.
Rights they cannot get in other countries especially in Chinese ruled countries that discriminate them because they are just maids.
America doesn't open doors for every Filipino as well and doesn't give them the same privilege of gaining citizenship in a span of 2 years.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-30-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia