Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Muslims don't eat pork, but Indonesia is a very large and diverse country so there are large numbers of non-Muslims who do eat pork.

Roasted suckling pig is a pretty common dish in most parts of the world, probably because it's delicious.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes Chicharon is Spanish and Portuguese ( though in Portugal they have a different word for it).

Yes I forgot Picadillo... My family's favourite recipe. It is indeed very similar to Arroz a la Cubana.

Yes the name Bistek ( Filipino Beef steak ) was taken from Spanish word Bistec which means Beef steak

here are some Spanish words of some vegetables and fruits we've adopted, it's not complete of course, these are just some examples that I remember.

Mani - Peanuts
Raddish- rabanos
Calabaza- pumpkin
Maiz- corn
Lechugas- lettuce
Repollo-- Cabbage
Cebollas ( sebuyas ) Onion
Ajos--- Garlic ( Visayas )
Amargoso-- ampalaya or bitter melon (Visayas)
Manzanas-- Apple
Uvas --- Grapes
Pina--- pineapple
Sandia --- watermelon ( visayas )
Melon -- melon
Anonas -- anonas ( family of atis and guyabano )

Locos -- Squid
The Arroz a la Cubana looks similar to Picadillo/Giniling

Filipino dish of Arroz a la Cubana.
The difference is that you have to put
'Saba' & 'Fried Egg'

Arroz a la Cubana ( Filipino Dish ) - YouTube

Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Muslims don't eat pork, but Indonesia is a very large and diverse country so there are large numbers of non-Muslims who do eat pork.

Roasted suckling pig is a pretty common dish in most parts of the world, probably because it's delicious.
I also read that some Indonesian eat similar to 'Dinuguan' which is Chocolate Meat (Pigs blood)
of course those who eat this are not the muslim. The name of their dish is 'Saren', it says it's popular in Java. probably Hindu and Christian.

It's also popular to other countries in Europe and other Asia eating blood from pig, sheep, cattle, goat and I even read
a place in Asia that drink snake blood from this forum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sausage

Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Snake blood is common drunk, especially with wine, in Vietnam and China.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Snake blood is common drunk, especially with wine, in Vietnam and China.
The pig blood we cook. but how about the snake blood? do they have to drink it like fresh or un-cook

^this is the 'Dinuguan' Filipino Chocolate Meat or 'Pigs blood', I don't know how they cook
the Saren of Indonesia if it's similar to Dinuguan. I guess we got this probably in Asia the blood stew because
it looks like the one in Europe are mostly sausages. hmm but it says it is similar to the black soup of Greece
that uses vinegar, pigs blood and legs. Similar also to Polish 'Czernina' blood stew. I'm just curious on how or who introduce this kind of food to us. So I want to know the 'Saren' style of Indonesia if it's similar kind of cooking style.

Last edited by pinai; 06-03-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Snake Blood and Vodka, Vietnam- TipsyBartender - YouTube

Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM

^I thought eating pig's blood is worst hahah.. it's much worse to drink fresh blood.

I found one dish in Indonesia from the Bataks

Quote:
Saksang or Sa-sang is a savory, spicy dish from the Bataks of Indonesia.[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] It is made from minced pork or dog[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] meat (or more rarely, water buffalo meat) stewed in blood,[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE] coconut milk and spices (including kaffir lime and bay leaves, coriander, shallot, garlic, chili pepper and Thai pepper, lemongrass, ginger, galangal, turmeric and andaliman (the fruit of a native shrub similar to Sichuan pepper)).[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE]
Saksang has special significance to the Bataks, as it is an obligatory dish in Batak marriage celebrations
^I guess our taste is different because it has vinegar or
like my grandmother she used this

Kamias as sour ingredients as alternative not the lime.
with long Chili's, It looks similar I guess because of some ingredients.

Last edited by pinai; 06-03-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
lol at the black American guy's reaction with the snake heart that is still move.
but that looks so yucky! than cooked pigs blood I guess and the fresh snake blood with vodka.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM

I guess the other similarity of Philippines and Indonesia is that both countries have a
TV Show named Eat Bulaga. Indonesians franchise the Filipino TV Variety noon time show in the Philippines
lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKhfmCy5iQk

Last edited by pinai; 06-03-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I guess the other similarity of Philippines and Indonesia is that both countries have a
TV Show named Eat Bulaga. Indonesians franchise the Filipino TV Variety noon time show in the Philippines
lol

Eat Bulaga! Indonesia 6th Month Anniversary - YouTube
They did ? Can't they just do their own ? There is nothing so special about Eat Bulaga . I don't even understand what's happening in this world now that all countries have the same shows, why franchise when you can create your own and don't have to pay any more ? As long as you change some things so it doesn't seem like you copied the whole concept of the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia