Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Muslims don't eat pork, but Indonesia is a very large and diverse country so there are large numbers of non-Muslims who do eat pork.

Roasted suckling pig is a pretty common dish in most parts of the world, probably because it's delicious.
they don't eat pork but they drink booze in Indonesia, but some of my friend are open-minded especially the rich

Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 31,853 times
Both countries are great. If you want to go to historical sites, then, you should go to Indonesia. If you want to experience nature, then, you might as well go to the Philippines.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM

29 posts, read 102,506 times
Sorry guys...I might be Filipino, but the Indonesian pics look like Philippines+. Probably a function of having a massive country. The Mountains are bigger, better ancient architecture(and more of it), Jakarta has a few more interesting buildings, and the fact that it seems that for every natural wonder in the Philippines, there's an equivalent in Indonesia.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM

101 posts, read 386,379 times
Skip both countries. Go to Malaysia or Thailand instead.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkalang View Post
Sorry guys...I might be Filipino, but the Indonesian pics look like Philippines+. Probably a function of having a massive country. The Mountains are bigger, better ancient architecture(and more of it), Jakarta has a few more interesting buildings, and the fact that it seems that for every natural wonder in the Philippines, there's an equivalent in Indonesia.
Agreed. Indonesia wins in the natural category by far, mainly because it's so big. But I've also read a lot of comparisons between the Philippines and Thailand, and surprisingly, many people say that the Philippines wins in the nature category. I was surprised because Thailand is bigger. I've never been there, so I dont know which one is better

Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Both countries look beautiful. I would love to visit both of them some day.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkalang View Post
Thanks! i think Philippines have every aspect it needs to be touristic, everything is as beautiful as Indonesia's just on smaller scale

Indonesia was recorded to be quiet influential and powerful in some parts of its history, before most of the populace became Muslims, they were Buddhist and Hindus which share similar traits and cultural background with the Siamese people and at this period as well Indonesia enjoys most of its golden age, building large structures like the Borobudur and Prambanan. Unfortunately many of the ancient structures were destroyed afterwards, and most that actually survives are the ones that are buried deep inside the ground due to volcanic eruption.

And also due to its big size and large number of ethnic, basically each of the ethnic in the islands developed their own way to survive and thus create rather unique way of life in each one of them, and as well unique architectures.

In the Philippines i think the Spanish pretty much destroyed everything, turn the country into another little Spain like what they did in Latin America...

The Dutch didn't do radical changes in Indonesia, they actually try to adopt with the life in Indonesia instead and actually liked the Indonesian living style, that they actually brought it back to the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien Lee View Post
Skip both countries. Go to Malaysia or Thailand instead.
why? im pretty sure visiting other countries that you've never been to shoud be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Agreed. Indonesia wins in the natural category by far, mainly because it's so big. But I've also read a lot of comparisons between the Philippines and Thailand, and surprisingly, many people say that the Philippines wins in the nature category. I was surprised because Thailand is bigger. I've never been there, so I dont know which one is better
Philippines is island based nation so you pretty much have great beaches and empty beautiful isolated islands, Thailand is on the mainland so its less volcanic and earthquake free, in the northern part of the nation they actually have winter time too. It really depend on your personal preference

Last edited by Goshio22; 10-01-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yes Indonesia is a big country and we cannot compared that land mass. But we also have so much great places to offer and I guess most of all is the people living there that sometimes people love it. Although I know Indonesians are friendly people too. But we we're known as one of the friendliest nation too lol always smiling no matter obstacle we always face. calamities and all of that haha still we still had time to smile, well that's one of the factors why people kept on coming back on the island aside from the places that which we usually offer. Everyone is all invited to the Philippines. I would love to visit Indonesia too.

This is great that we are sharing each other's great places here. Mostly, people think that our country looks so bad because they always show slums so they had this impression that our country looks so bad because that's how they see it mostly in media. Our country is rich in natural resources and thanks god for giving us such a wonderful landscape, the 7,107 islands at least people will aware that nope.. there's other places in the Philippines that you've never been to.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I am actually wondering and see if we had some Hindu temples because before Filipinos became a Muslim. A lot of Filipinos are Hindus too but it seems there is no traces of architecture, Like what you have in Indonesia? Hindus came first before Muslims and then Christianity. Artifacts only showed some gold found in Southern Philippines that traces the Hinduism as well as the writings. I don't think Spanish destroyed everything, Most of the house are Nipa hut actually, We can still see those houses during the 18th century. The house was evolved from Nipa Hut to modern bahay-na-bato. The design of Nipa-Hut is different though in Southern Philippines which is similar to some houses in Indonesia. A lot of Nipa-Hut houses was still there in the 18th or 19th century by looking at old photos of the Philippines specially Manila during the 19th century. Some houses of modern Philippines was also introduced by Americans. If you go to Baguio, you'll see or Tagaytay, Davao, those places which is cooler areas. Modernization sometimes changes architecture. I actually like the Bahay-na-Bato architecture than those modern buildings lately because you can still see that it was based in Bahay Kubo or Nipa Hut. but some look at it like very old architecture.

This is Pangasinan Capitol Building, It was based from American Architectural Capitol buildings
This was built during the American Occupation. Original Architecture was destroyed during WWII but
rebuilt to it's original Architectural design.

Coconut Palace is one example of Bahay-na-Bato influence

Capitol Building in Pangasinan looks so pretty

Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 AM

beautiful buildings, i love colonial architectures

architecture in Jakarta
colonial :

de Raad van Justitie (now museum of fine ceramic)

Paleis Van Daendels (now ministry of finance)

Het museum van het Koninklijk Bataviaasch Genootschap van Kunsten en Wetenschappen (still a museum, now is the national museum)

Modern:

contrast between old and new:

Bakrie Tower

Last edited by Goshio22; 10-02-2013 at 05:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia