U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM
kyh kyh started this thread

383 posts, read 1,066,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yup my dad is from Manila and he's mixed ancestry. The Chinese side is from Fujian.. his ancestors made bells for catholic churches throughout the archipelago and Formosa. I've seen pictures of giant bells with the family name on the side.
That's interesting! Do you have any pictures of those bells? I'd love to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Third generation Chinese Indonesian, moved to the US at an early age (two), partially to avoid riots and partially just because my parents thought it would be beneficial for my future due to more opportunities and a generally "easier life."

My father's side and my maternal grandfather speak Hokkien, but they have ethnic/racial roots in Northern China.
Just curious, how do Chinese Indonesian immigrants to America define themselves? Chinese Americans? Indonesian Americans? Which community do you guys usually associate with, the Indonesians or the Chinese? Do you, as an American with a distant memory of Indonesia, ever consider the country as an important element in your family history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,681,033 times
Has any of you visited your ancestral hometown? What do you expect to see or do there?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 PM

607 posts, read 1,097,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Just curious, how do Chinese Indonesian immigrants to America define themselves? Chinese Americans? Indonesian Americans? Which community do you guys usually associate with, the Indonesians or the Chinese? Do you, as an American with a distant memory of Indonesia, ever consider the country as an important element in your family history?
I identify both as Indonesian American and Chinese American, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the former. Due to the language barrier, my family generally interacted more with the Indonesian American community - keep in mind, over half of all immigrants from Indonesia are Chinese Indonesian.

I certainly do consider Indonesia as a big part of my family history (I still visit there every few years, mainly to see relatives). Since I grew up in the US, I speak much better English than Indonesian, but I still understand the Indonesian language very well (as a younger child, my parents would normally speak to me in Indonesian and I'd respond in English).

Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,681,033 times
Fujian Province Xiamen City Siming District
Hokkien

Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,556,943 times
Both sides of my mother's family are Teochew, the first of my grandmother's ancestors migrated to Singapore in the 1860's from Shantou in eastern Guangdong province. My grandfather had Teochew roots and was born in Kuching, Malaysia however he was orphaned when he was very young so I'm not sure of the details there.

My father's side originates in Scotland, but that's another story.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,590,302 times
On my mother's side my ancestor's came from a village near Quanzhou, somewhere near the current city of Nan'an, in Fujian province. They were peanut farmers, apparently. They arrived in Singapore shortly after the turn of last century. My great grandmother and my grandmother lived in one of those villages in rural Singapore during a time when tigers roamed the largely forested islands. I think both my mother's parents came from roughly the same area. They are Hokkien or Minan, or southern Min.

Apparently my dad's dad was born in Burma, but has ancestors who came from Fuzhou (no idea when). He came to Malaysia at a young age. My dad's mother, who I never met, was from a well off Peranakan family and I'm not actually sure when her ancestors came to Malaysia, but I believe they arrived there a long time ago. I'm not sure what other ethnicities/nationalities we have in the family tree as well.

My dad was born and grew up in Penang, and my mother in Singapore, and although from Hokkien families soon began speaking English as their main language growing up. They are more westernised than most Malaysians-Singaporeans and many of my in-laws live or have spent long periods of times overseas.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 PM

251 posts, read 550,085 times
I live in the Los Angeles area, and both my parents grew up in Hong Kong. My father's father came from Fengshun Prefecure 風順縣 in Meizhou City梅州 in Guangdong (also our ancestral home). My father is fully Hakka, but many Fengshun Hakkas also speak Teochew.

My mother is Taishanese, from Kaiping 開平. I speak fluent Cantonese with a native Hong Kong accent and conversational Mandarin; I rely heavily on writtten Chinese when communicating with non-Cantonese. However, I neither speak Toisan nor Hakka.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 AM

451 posts, read 1,084,643 times
I was born in the US, but parents were born in Taiwan. I was born in New York and grew up in Southern California. The furthest I have been actually trace back is 8-9 generations back. My father's side of the (the Chen family, but in Hokkien it would be "Tan") family has been in Taiwan for 8 generations. We have a family tree that lists all the male ancestors in Taiwan for 8 generations. The first person from my father's side of the family moved to Taiwan from Longxi County, Zhangzhou prefecture, Fujian Province, China to Taiwan. Today, that is Lin Nei within Qiaozaitou Village, Chaoyang Town, Longwen District, Zhangzhou City, Fujian Province, China (漳州市龍文區朝陽鎮橋仔頭村林內). Thus, my estimate would say that was 200-225 years ago was when my father's side ancestor moved from China to Taiwan. This is per an "ancestry tablet" and family tree, our family has, and also we have a painting of my first ancestor from my father's side of the family to move to Taiwan. He was a Qing Dynasty imperial military scholar. He had the military version of the "juren" 舉人 degree or called a "wujuren" 武舉人.

Per my father's side of the family's ancestry tablet, we were part of the "Yingchuan" (潁川) Hall of the Chen Clan. But within our family, there is a subbranch called the Xiaqiao Chen Clan Ancestral Hall (霞橋陳氏宗祠) within Zhangzhou, Fujian.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:37 PM

6,350 posts, read 7,021,215 times
Hakka mostly, but I may have a little of something else in me from a great great grandparent. Dating back about three generations both my maternal and paternal sides are from Penang area of Malaysia, but I am first generation American.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,281,652 times
I only know both my parents are Teochews , but exactly from which part i dont know

I can speak Teochew anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or