Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:57 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times

Advertisements

If you can read/write and/or speak Taiwanse, I'd like to know whether I am eligible or not in taking a license exam(in a certain field) in Taiwan as a foreign national. Since I know just a bit of elementary Mandarin Chinese, I have trouble searching and reading in Chinese characters(especially traditional ones). I am ethnically a non-Chinese(nor Taiwanese) asian person. Using an auto-translator from google still doesn't help. I would truly appreciate it if you can answer my question below(PM me with the relevant source) :

The only information I can fully understand is on the following website : Ministry of Examination,R.O.C(Taiwan) - Examinations for Professional and Technical Personnel in Taiwan(ROC)

Some of my google search terms were : 藥師考試(or 藥師國考) 國外大學

Q1 : If I have a four-year university degree in this field from an English-speaking country(but no license), am I still eligible to take the exam?

Q2 : Am I required to take the exam in Mandarin Chinese only?

Last edited by OZpharmer; 10-16-2015 at 02:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 05:54 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Q1 : If I have a four-year university degree in this field from an English-speaking country(but no license), am I still eligible to take the exam?

Q2 : Am I required to take the exam in Mandarin Chinese only?
According to exam law:

You are eligible to take the exam if you have a foreign university degree.

And yes, the exams are in Mandarin Chinese only.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 AM

569 posts, read 552,445 times
Yes, I have read the regulation link which you provide. But the site won't let me copy-pasting.

Yes, the foreign pharmasist would be applicable to work there.

Yes, you have to have the related degrees/or the lincense for the license exam.

Yes, you have to do it in Mandarine.

Yes, you might need to obey the same disciplines that are upon the Chinese.

And yes, the laws change from time to time.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:59 AM

Wow, thanks so much for the quick input!

I have further questions that crossed my mind :

Is the pharmacy exam all MCQs?

By Mandarin Chinese, does that mean I only have to know the simplified Chinese characters? (i.e. Foreigners taking the Mandarin version vs. Taiwanese(人) taking the Taiwanese(語) version?)

Where does it say that the foreign pharmacist license is not required to sit for the Taiwanese pharmacy exam?(If you don't mind being more specific where you found that information)
For example, is there any info regarding this in the following document file? (NOTE: opening the file at first attempt MIGHT fail)
http://wwwc.moex.gov.tw/main/ExamLaws/wHandLaws_File.ashx?Laws_id=109&serial_no=1

Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Is the pharmacy exam all MCQs?
It does seem like they are all MCQs.

Quote:
By Mandarin Chinese, does that mean I only have to know the simplified Chinese characters? (i.e. Foreigners taking the Mandarin version vs. Taiwanese(人) taking the Taiwanese(語) version?)
In Taiwan everything is written in traditional Chinese characters. Taiwanese is a different language, whereas Taiwanese Mandarin is a dialect of Mandarin Chinese.

Quote:
Where does it say that the foreign pharmacist license is not required to sit for the Taiwanese pharmacy exam?(If you don't mind being more specific where you found that information)
For example, is there any info regarding this in the following document file? (NOTE: opening the file at first attempt MIGHT fail)
http://wwwc.moex.gov.tw/main/ExamLaws/wHandLaws_File.ashx?Laws_id=109&serial_no=1
It is stated in this file. It says that American, Japanese, European, Canadian, South African, Australian, New Zealander, Singaporean, and Hong Konger degree holders can take the exam. It's a very, very stupid rule, but it is indeed true.
And by European, it means member states of the EU.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It does seem like they are all MCQs.

In Taiwan everything is written in traditional Chinese characters. Taiwanese is a different language, whereas Taiwanese Mandarin is a dialect of Mandarin Chinese.

It is stated in this file. It says that American, Japanese, European, Canadian, South African, Australian, New Zealander, Singaporean, and Hong Konger degree holders can take the exam. It's a very, very stupid rule, but it is indeed true.
And by European, it means member states of the EU.
So, would I have to take the exam in Taiwanese Mandarin or in Mainland Mandarin written in traditional Chinese characters? I am a bit confused.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 AM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
So, would I have to take the exam in Taiwanese Mandarin or in Mainland Mandarin written in traditional Chinese characters? I am a bit confused.
Taiwanese Mandarin written in traditional Chinese characters.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Taiwanese Mandarin written in traditional Chinese characters.
Thanks! How much would it help if I take Mainland Mandarin(simplified) learning courses and learn the traditional Chinese characters(that corresponds to each Mainland Mandarin writing; e.g. 业 業) on my own?

This is because I don't have much choice but to take Mainland Mandarin courses. I haven't heard of any prep courses/institutions teaching Taiwanese Mandarin where I live.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks! How much would it help if I take Mainland Mandarin(simplified) learning courses and learn the traditional Chinese characters(that corresponds to each Mainland Mandarin writing; e.g. 业 業) on my own?

This is because I don't have much choice but to take Mainland Mandarin courses. I haven't heard of any prep courses/institutions teaching Taiwanese Mandarin where I live.
The difference between Chinese and Taiwanese Mandarin is the accent, and some terms/slangs, you would only have problems with the written script, which isn't hard to master if you already know simplified Chinese well enough.

That being said, DON'T DO THAT. It's not worth it. The bad easily outweighs the good. Go to Singapore instead.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The difference between Chinese and Taiwanese Mandarin is the accent, and some terms/slangs, you would only have problems with the written script, which isn't hard to master if you already know simplified Chinese well enough.

That being said, DON'T DO THAT. It's not worth it. The bad easily outweighs the good. Go to Singapore instead.
Thanks for your honest opinion. But I still feel very tempted to go to Taiwan, mainly because I can't sit for the pharmacy exam in Singapore without a foreign pharmacist license. That information can seen here : For Foreign-trained Graduates / Pharmacists | SPC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia