U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 AM

84 posts, read 367,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I dont think you guys meant it that way, but not all Filipinos look the same.There's an even wider range of looks than in Vietnam. It goes from Miconesian-looking, to Malay, to East Asian, even a few blacks. However, that's not really defined by region (at least the large regions) because there's a range of these looks throughout the Philippines. Only some isolated areas have a more homogenous look, and that has to do with the fact that they were isolated, like these groups...

Ifugao
Children of Benguet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mangyan
Exciting girls for athletic festival today! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Personally, the area around where the Ifugaos live in the only place in the Philippines where I actually noticed that the people looked different. It was more homogenous and it was noticeable.
Well yeah I agreed, there are maybe noticeable differences between Filipinos in the isolated places like some small villages or islands. But definitely not in the major areas of the Philippines.

Last edited by Great_Jack; 02-01-2013 at 03:11 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM

138 posts, read 643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
Physical appearance comparison of Filipino,Vietnamese and Thai. Compare area by area, Northerner vs Northerner/Center vs Center/Southerner vs Southerner.

Northern

Laoag,Filipinos vs Hanoi,Vietnameses vs Chiang-Mai,Thais

Laoag

stock photo - Laoag Street Scene, The Philippines

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanoi

Traffic in Hanoi, Vietnam. | Vietnam Stock Photography by NOI Pictures.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chiang Mai

Chiangmai Mail - Vol. VIII No. 16 - Tuesday * April 21 - April 27, 2009 *&nbsp Features
Center

Cebu,Filipinos vs Danang,Vietnameses vs Bangkok,Thais

Cebu

University of Cebu

Danang

Student of the University of Danang receives scholarship in Canada Education Fair in Danang
Bangkok

Chulalongkorn University - CU - Chula Gruadation | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Southern

Davao,Filipinos vs Ho Chi Minh City,Vietnameses vs Phuket,Thais

Davao

davao city | MindaNews
Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)

Traffic Jam in Saigon, Vietnam | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Phuket

Phuket Street Show Festival 2010 | Jamie
To me Filipino has even wider range of looks than Vietnamese and Thai. From what I met they are quite hit or miss, but when they hit they hit quite hard too (Those whom ethnic of Europian or Northeast Asian are quite stuning), but most of the time they are most likely to miss. Filipino could possible to look from Miconesian, to Malay, to East Asian, to Northeast Asian, to European(Spainish-American mestizo), to Indian or even Black-African. For Thai and Vietnamese there are only 3 possible looks for them which are either East Asian, Northeast Asian or Malay.

Answering the topic.

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
Thailand, both Vietnam and the Philippines are 2nd.

2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
Thai or Filipino, to me Vietnamese is one of the ugliest language I have ever heard in the Earth. Not just only ugliest, they sound kind of funniest when they speak English too.

3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
Thailand,Vietnam,the Philippines.

4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
Both Thailand and Vietnam. The Philippines is quite a bit too hot for me, maybe because it is the island. Also the Philippines isn't safe as well, I heard people get mugging all the time in the Philippines.

5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
Thailand, both Vietnam and the Philippines are 2nd.

6.Which country has the best looking people ?
Depend on personal preference to finds attractive or not. Filipino look are more likely to giving exotic feeling, while Thai and Vietnamese are more likely to giving lovely feeling kind of closer to Northeast Asian than Filipino.

7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
Thailand,Vietnam, the Philippines

8.Which country has most interested culture ?
All of them

9.Which country people has the best personality ?
Filipino dominated here, as we are all agreed they are the friendliest people in all over Asia. Both Vienamese and Thai are 2nd.

10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?
1st Thailand, 2nd Vietnam, 3rd the Philippines.

Last edited by Ezio_Auditore; 02-03-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
I am kind of don't get what do you mean in here. What do you mean by visayans? or tagalogs ?

From what I experienced all Filipinos look the same to me doesn't matter where are they from, Davao/Cebu/Manila or even far north like Laoag. They are all look definitely the same.

For Thais and Vietnameses, it obviously that northerner look more like Southern Chinese. While southerner look more like Filipino or Malay.
In Vietnam i'd say still most look like S.Chinese, although the odd few could pass for Malays. There are Cham/Khmer admixture in Southern Vietnam (remember northern Vietnam was their real cultural heartland) so some people more resemble these people. Overall I see Vietnam as a continuum in terms of looks. I do agree, however, that people in Hanoi do tend to look more Chinese.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 AM

84 posts, read 367,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Vietnam i'd say still most look like S.Chinese, although the odd few could pass for Malays. There are Cham/Khmer admixture in Southern Vietnam (remember northern Vietnam was their real cultural heartland) so some people more resemble these people. Overall I see Vietnam as a continuum in terms of looks. I do agree, however, that people in Hanoi do tend to look more Chinese.

It's kinda more like cultural stereotyping. I am wondering without culture influence from other more powerful civilization in the past.

Thai or Vietnamese who is originally more S.Chinese?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 8,383 times
List from best to worst

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
1.PHILIPPINES! , Thailand , Vietnam

2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
1.PHILIPPINES - is also a bilingual speaking country they also speak ENGLISH AND TAGALOG ,2. Vietnam , 3.Thailand is the worst sounding of all!

3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
1.PHILIPPINES! Especially their Chicken Adobo, Filipinos Cuisine were most loved by most Americans and Europeans! 2. THAILAND 3. VIETNAM

4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
1.PHILIPPINES because of their WORLD SEVEN WONDER "PHILIPPINES LAST FRONTIER" (PALAWAN!) AND ALSO THEIR BEACH OF BORACAY WHICH IS KNOW FOR ITS WHITE SAND BEACH AND BEAUTIFUL CLEAR WATERS. 2. VIETNAM 3. THAILAND

5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
1. OF COURSE PHILIPPINES! Philippines is the home for most Fashion Trend Celebrities and BIG! Fashion Business FILIPINOS HAVE BIG MALLS AND BIG DEPARTMENT STORES MAINLY OF FASHION!. 2. THAILAND 3.VIETNAM

6.Which country has the best looking people ?
1. PHILIPPINES! Philippines is the home of the "BEAUTY QUEENS OF ASIA" MOSTLY FILIPINAS LOOKS LIKE THE SOUTH AMERICANS OR THE LATINAS OF ASIA, THE PHILIPPINES MOSTLY DOMINATES THE INTERNATIONAL BEAUTY PAGEANTS! the 2010 4th runner up of MISS UNIVERSE MISS VENUS RAJ, the 2011 3rd runner of MISS UNIVERSE MISS SHAMCEY SUPSUP, the 2012 1ST RUNNER UP OF MISS UNIVERSE MISS JANINE TUGONON!, the 2013 3rd runnerr of MISS UNIVERSE MISS ARIELLA ARIDA and THE MISS WORLD 2013 MISS MEGAN YOUNG! PHILIPPINES IS THE HOME OF THE BEAUTY QUEENS AND BEAUTIFUL FILIPINAS AND GOOD LOOKING FILIPINOS. 2. THAILAND 3. VIETNAM

7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
1. PHILIPPINES - Filipinos value the education they invest their money in education. Philippines has the American Standard when it comes in EDUCATION! 2. THAILAND 3. VIETNAM

8.Which country has most interested culture ?
1. PHILIPPINES! Philippines is the home of different exotic culture from our own CULTURE TO SPANISH CULTURE, AMERICAN CULTURE, CHINESE CULTURE AND JAPANESE CULTURE Philippines Slogan it is(MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES) 2. THAILAND 3. VIETNAM

9.Which country people has the best personality ?
1 When it comes to BEST PERSONALITY - PHILIPPINES IS KNOWN NOT ONLY IN ASIA BUT IN THE WHOLE WORLD FOR THEIR SMILING FACES AND FRIENDLY CULTURE!

10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ? OBVIOUSLY 1.PHILIPPINES! 2. THAILAND 3.VIETNAM

Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM

328 posts, read 476,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ? Thailand, Philippines
2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ? Philippines
3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ? Thailand, Vietnam
4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ? Thailand, but all of them really.
5.Which country has the best fashioning ? Same
6.Which country has the best looking people ? Same
7.Which country people has the best educaton ? Vietnam
8.Which country has most interested culture ? Vietnam, Thailand
9.Which country people has the best personality ? Philippines
10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ? Philippines, thailand

I've spent alot of time in all 3, and can elaborate more later.
I agree with Tiger Beer on all those responses except the last one. I'd reverse the order. Thailand first, then Philippines.

A question that wasn't asked influences my choice considerably, and that is safety. Having travelled in both countries recently, I've become aware of problems concerning the safety of western visitors in the Philippines. I don't think the country is "dangerous" per se, but you need to be more careful.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,190,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaydee View Post
List from best to worst

1.PHILIPPINES!
Typing in all caps and using a lot of exclamation points doesn't help prove your point. If anything, it makes you look less believable.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
I agree with Tiger Beer on all those responses except the last one. I'd reverse the order. Thailand first, then Philippines.

A question that wasn't asked influences my choice considerably, and that is safety. Having travelled in both countries recently, I've become aware of problems concerning the safety of western visitors in the Philippines. I don't think the country is "dangerous" per se, but you need to be more careful.
In Vietnam I'd say traffic is probably the most dangerous thing (well in all countries, but even moreso there). Thailand is pretty safe, as long as you try to stay out of trouble...Philippines, yeah, it seems quite dangerous.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Vietnam I'd say traffic is probably the most dangerous thing (well in all countries, but even moreso there). Thailand is pretty safe, as long as you try to stay out of trouble...Philippines, yeah, it seems quite dangerous.
I wonder why you always say this when Thailand and the Philippines are about the same, and they're not really dangerous at all compared to most countries. You say it over and over again even thought I always post statistics showing that the Philippines is relatively safe

Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Significant number of Thais and pinoys in Singapore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or