U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 08:00 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe it's more just Manila, but just what I've heard etc. Statistically though yeah, murder rates are actually quite similar, but Manila seems to have more dangerous areas. Bangkok doesn't feel unsafe walking around at night.
Bangkok feels comfortable walking around anytime of day or night.

Manila, you have to keep your wits about you. Manila just has a lot more crushing poverty, in general.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 12:31 PM

131 posts, read 8,589 times
Thailand is the most popular of the three by both Asian and western tourists. unlike the Philippines with mainly westerners and South Koreans.

Among the three, Vietnam has the least western tourists and residents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
List from best to worst

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
6.Which country has the best looking people ?
7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
8.Which country has most interested culture ?
9.Which country people has the best personality ?
10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?

Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,062,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
Philippines,Thailand,Vietnam.
Tonal language is sound a little bit annoying to me lol.
I'm not sure what you mean by "annoying" regarding tones, at least relative to the Thai language. No idea about the Philippines or Vietnam though. Thailand has 4 regional dialects, and numerous sub-dialects of Thai. The two most common are Central Thai (which is the official national dialect) and Thai-Lao. Some dialects seem to have a nasally, grating kind of sound. To my ears, it's not the most appealing sound. It's possible that might be more of an individual's way of speaking, rather than representing the dialect. On the other hand (again to my ears), Central Thai seems to be more clear, not so fast-paced, and rather musical, but again, it depends on the individual that's speaking. Some people may speak faster and some slower.

Bangkok is primarily Central Thai, but there are a lot of other dialects mixed in there because of people migrating from other regions in search of jobs, especially folks from the NE, so things can sound a bit hodge-podge and mixed. Even within specific regions around the country, on a provincial scale you can sometimes hear slight differences. There's no specific point where one dialect is different from another, but it's more of a blend from one area next to another. It can even vary at the district scale. You can also hear differences between people who live in cities and people who live in more rural areas.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:31 AM

621 posts, read 381,659 times
^^Tbh Thai language is too cringy to the ears for first time hearers, and I understand that comment about tonal language being annoying, I feel you. But I guess over time for those who had been used to hearing them they no longer would feel that way. Like the feeling of being used to it.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 AM

802 posts, read 311,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
let me join mates.

Here's my take on the Filipino genes in majority or i say typical. Predominantly a combination of Malay, Polynesian, and a little bit of Chinese-Astronesian.

Though some parts have its distinct mixes. Places like: Batanes, Extreme Northern Ilocos and Cagayan- more on astronesian because of its proximity to Fujian China and Taiwan, Pampanga and Olongapo - high on Pinoys with Black or White mixes due to strong presence of Americans during their military presence then (almost a century), Cordillera region - more on astronesian and some japanese mixes.. - highly known concentration areas of the astronesian way back the pre colonization time, also the last stronghold of those japanese military during ww2. Zamboanga area - known for its Spanish culture and traces of spanish offsprings , as the only area in the Philippines that has dialect (Chabacano) heavily based in Spanish Language.

Also, Pinoys and polynesian in common? both wide bodied and beast in rice consumption

I'd say this is pretty darned accurate. My wife is from Mindanao and I think she looks similar but different from folks from Luzon. She doesn't have the "filipino nose" and has more of an angular face. Also has the latin temper LOL. So yes, I can definitely see the Spanish influence in her genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or