U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Asian Country for Ancient Temples?
Burma (Myanmar) 5 17.86%
Cambodia 6 21.43%
Indonesia 3 10.71%
Laos 1 3.57%
Malaysia 1 3.57%
Thailand 10 35.71%
Vietnam 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM

59 posts, read 103,503 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data community!

I am going to take holiday for about three weeks (mid-June to early July).
I really want to visit a country with as many beautiful ancient/historic temples as possible. I know that there is Angkor Wat in Cambodia, Borobudur in Indonesia, etc.
I'd like to go somewhere that I could spend a few weeks, rather than just one tourist stop that would be boring after 4 or 5 days.
I don't really have the budget to hop between multiple countries.

If you could recommend one country that would offer the best temple/traditional experience with as little hassle as possible (subjectively), what would it be? Cambodia? Indonesia? Laos? Thailand?

I'd appreciate any and all insight. Thank you!

Jonny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,425 times
Cambodia.....Angkor Wat
you can always visit Laos, Vietnam and Thailand since the countries are right next to each other
kind of hard to do that with indonesia since its an archipelago

http://i.livescience.com

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM

5,090 posts, read 8,064,121 times
There are several historical parks (temples) in Thailand. A couple of the most common are in Ayutthaya and Sukhothai. There's an admission fee to enter the grounds of most of them. It worth noting that these sites primarily feature ruins, but well worth seeing none the less. The ones at Ayutthaya are sort of scattered around the city. If you're on a budget, you can get to either one by bus. I'd recommend an air-con bus. They're cooler, onboard restroom, and more spacious and comfortable seating. Ayutthaya is closer to Bangkok. A couple of hours by bus.

Sukhothai is farther north. I'd say a good 8 hours by bus. Included in your fare are snacks and drinks, and a half hour stop for lunch. Sukhothai also has a small airport if that's an option to consider, about an hour flight from Bangkok.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Three weeks is a long time to visit one country and focus on temples. If temples are your interests, I recommend you start your trip in Bangkok and base yourself there. I am not particularly interested in temples, but Bangkok by itself has four temples I highly recommend: Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn), Reclining Buddha, Emerald Buddha and the Golden Buddha. I would also think that if you come from outside Asia, there are more flights going to Bangkok than the other countries. Even if you are a budget traveler, you can find budget options to visit Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar from Bangkok if you have the time. There are many budget airlines flying out of BKK as well as the possibility of traveling by train and bus.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,603,293 times
Nepal is great. You get Mt Everest too. I suggest you rent a dirt bike for $8/day there and drive the mountains. Visa on arrival. $300/month for a hotel room. Normally when people go there they go for more then a month. Stay in Thamel in Kathmandu. It's cold so only go for the summer... Gourmet food at their restaurants for like 5-7$ per meal.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM

78,554 posts, read 70,455,727 times

ANGKOR WAT - KHMER EMPIRE - CAMBODIA (NGC) part II - YouTube

Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM

78,554 posts, read 70,455,727 times
The Khmer Empire, which produced Angkor Wat, covered Thailand, Laos and part of South Vietnam. Other temples similar in style to Angkor Wat are found in Thailand as well. You might do some research to find other temples in the region, and put together an itinerary that covers Angkor Wat, and neighboring areas in Thailand.

Khmer Empire Map

Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,470 times
Myanmar is a great destination for ancient temples - Shwedagon Paya, Mandalay's many temples, and the breathtaking plains of Bagan - almost 2,000 stupas are left from the original 10,000+ in its heydays!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 AM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times
I've heard Cambodia is great. I would imagine Tibet and Myanmar to be equally as great too. Perhaps Sri Lanka as well?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,764,328 times
you mention you're on a budget, so i would recommend flying into BKK as its generally the cheapest place to fly into. as mentioned, plenty of temple complexes around town or within a day trip (ayutthaya, etc).

getting to angkor is pretty simple, just take a bus to aran/poipet, should be in the 200b range. from there you can either take a bus or taxi to siem reap, i usually look for a shared taxi. theres kinda transit mafia in poipet tho, its cheaper coming in than going out. but all in transit to and from bangkok-siem reap can be kept under US$20 no problem. (not incl visa obviously). bus to phnom penh from siem reap is $5-6 range.

i also second the myanmar recommendation. if you're into temples it's worth checking out. again, BKK should be your starting point. easy to get myanmar visa at the embassy there. flights are fairly cheap as well. mandalay and bagan get all the attention, but yangon has some pretty epic stuff as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia