U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:06 AM

10,437 posts, read 12,484,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
But...England and France and Japan don't have a huge portion of their population, including the most elite and well educated, desperately wanting to get out of the country. Only the Chinese want to escape. The rich use their money to buy property so that they can emigrate to places like Canada etc. The poor pay people to get themselves smuggled out in container boxes. There is no comparison between China and the other three.
I wasn't talking about the current situation but about the history.
Smuggling Chinese in containers is something from 10+ years ago, not really that common today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 PM

919 posts, read 607,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
But...England and France and Japan don't have a huge portion of their population, including the most elite and well educated, desperately wanting to get out of the country.
Well said.

IMO, that defines whether a country is a first class country or not.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:16 AM

277 posts, read 207,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Well said.

IMO, that defines whether a country is a first class country or not.
A few factors why Chinese want to leave China, possibly applies to many other Asian countries as well as to why they would want to leave desperately:

1. Developed countries like England, France, Japan were the first to develop, there was really nowhere else in the world at the time that offered a significantly better lifestyle anyway. Note though that in the case of England there is mass emigration in various points in time to the USA, Australia, Canada, NZ etc. I've also noticed that there is a somewhat influx of Japanese and Koreans into Australia as well within the last 10 years, perhaps immigration requirements have to lowered these days??

2. Chinese people historically aren't as patriotic as the other three to try to stay and develop the country.

3. It is far too polluted in China to reasonably stay. It's like goods that is really beyond repair to worthwhile to repair.

4. China is too bloody big to develop on a large scale.

If we wound the clock back to the pre-industrial age I don't think there is any "first class countries". The wealthy rich list today were just the ones who were smart/quick enough to group together to develop and carry on that advantage. Excluding new world territories (except USA) all developed countries at some point in time industrialised and then colonised some land, raped it of it's natural resources and then developed.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,000 times
Most egalitarian westerners do not like the working culture of Japan.

Average american opinions of Japan hierarchy, superficial politeness, no acceptance of other countries' people and cultures, people who are not interested in dating, marriage and sex, women who have less gut and confidence, more afraid of some things and do not express themselves, motivated students but without their own ideas, bad economy and shrinking population means the country is going downhill and of course an average american will think his or her USA is much better than Japan. "We beat you in world war 2 and you need us to protect you from a rising China" "How dare you attack us in pearl harbor?"

Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 PM

919 posts, read 607,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
A few factors why Chinese want to leave China, possibly applies to many other Asian countries as well as to why they would want to leave desperately:
I regard those countries as 2nd or lower class countries, no matter what reasons they have.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 AM

960 posts, read 1,554,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egltours View Post

Average american opinions of Japan hierarchy, superficial politeness, no acceptance of other countries' people and cultures, people who are not interested in dating, marriage and sex, women who have less gut and confidence, more afraid of some things and do not express themselves, motivated students but without their own ideas, bad economy and shrinking population means the country is going downhill and of course an average american will think his or her USA is much better than Japan. "We beat you in world war 2 and you need us to protect you from a rising China" "How dare you attack us in pearl harbor?"
But I bet it's still so much better than working/living in Mexico!

Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,640,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I think there are many Chinese who would love to move to Mexico too.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 740,658 times
I came to the US because many people including myself believed the US has the best resources for research.
Then after years of studies, you get used to the lifestyle and tend to find a job here. Some do not like the life here and go back.

I do feel Chinese cities are way too crowded, and i can be more relaxed in America. People here are polite, less aggressive, although more distant.
I don't care about income or pollution much.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:50 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,066,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post

3. It is far too polluted in China to reasonably stay. It's like goods that is really beyond repair to worthwhile to repair.
Is it polluted beyond the very large cities?

Old 04-05-2016, 02:55 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,066,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egltours View Post

Is the politeness superficial there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
According to one of those happiness by country studies, people in Mexico are almost as happy as people here in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or