U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2013, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 3,875,391 times
Reputation: 1425

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
And you find otherwise in Korea and Japan?
It is really weird then.



Such languages are spoken in China (not by immigrants but by local residents): Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Min, Wu...), Tibetan, Mongolian, Uighur, Kazakh, Tajik, Zhuang, Miao (Hmong), Yi, Dai (Thai), Korean, ...)
Korean and Japan are no comparison.
Also, I am only considering the languages that are natively spoken in the country. Many countries have the same languages spoken consistently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Also, I am only considering the languages that are natively spoken in the country. Many countries have the same languages spoken consistently.
China has always been a multi-national country with different cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,796,552 times
Reputation: 4125
IN MY OPINION:

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
Japan. My wife likes K-dramas but that's it. Nothing out of China since the 2008 Olympics has been worth my time.


2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
Um? Well, if you want to be specific, I think Japanese is. I just don't care for tonal languages.



3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
Korean, Japanese, Chinese, in that order.


4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
Depends on what you want. If you want casinos then Macau is awesome. If you want history they're all very good (but you better go to China before they knock down all the relics of the past ... so sad ...).


5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
Debatable, also which era? Ancient chinese fashion pretty much set the standard through that part of the world back in the day. Today it would have to be Japanese with both Korean and Chinese catching up. The world's number 1 lingerie market is China. Trust me, I'm a perv.


6.Which country has the best looking people ?
So subjective I won't bother answering. I will say I've had girlfriends from all three. Each country has their 10's, each their 5's, and 1's.

Of all the girls I dated, except my wife for obvious reasons, the hottest was a Chinese girl (born and raised in Indonesia). VERY nice body, curvy and sexy.

My wife is Japanese.


7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
None. They're all rubbish in my opinion. Rote memorization, training to learn "the right way," and beating down the biggest nail is the norm in east asia. That's why so few are true geniuses who can think outside the box. The West has most of east asia completely outclassed when it comes to education.

Business ... that's another story, but all I will say with that is innovation and business flexibility and robustness go hand in hand. China, I think, is a one-trick-dog type of economy of green fields + cheap labor. Now that labor rates have gone up, they are going to have to innovate their way out, and it won't be easy. Just ask Japan. The Japanese completely missed the software boat (with some exceptions).


8.Which country has most interested culture ?
They're all fascinating in their own right.

The ancient Chinese folklore is pretty interesting. In the West, almost all myths of pre recorded history have a beginning; a Genesis. Not so with the Chinese. Their earliest recorded history actually starts with the ashes of a previous empire that were reconquered and united through a hero; in other words, there is no "beginning" so to speak. That fascinates me, so I guess if you want "most interesting" I'd go with China because it's quite clear seeing their history the ebb and flow of human history. It's also interesting to see how they perceived outsiders, and how they completely were unprepared for modern warfare and were exploited, sometimes brutally especially by the Japanese, for almost 100 years.

Japan's history is interesting because they recognized the threat the West presented in the 1500s, primarily through religious infiltration of Christianity, and expelled them (except the Dutch) forcefully and kept them out till the mid 1800s, when they could no longer be bypassed in technology. The shogunate quickly acceded that they'd rather open their borders and modernize rather than stagnate and become a Western colony. Since then they've essentially modernized and gone through all the ebbs modern society has.

Koreans are also interesting, but it is also a little sad that through history they've been occupied and oppressed by any number of people. It's no wonder they're a little xenophobic.


9.Which country people has the best personality ?
Every nation has its cool people, and its cold people, the awesome, and nutty. Equal.



10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?
I'm biased, so I think Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,424 posts, read 12,425,000 times
Reputation: 4857
1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
Japan, South Korea, China

2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
Japanese, Korean, Chinese

3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
Chinese, Japanese, Korean

4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
China, Japan, South Korea

5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
Japan, South Korea, China

6.Which country has the best looking people ?
Japan, South Korea, China

7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
Japan, South Korea, China

8.Which country has most interested culture ?
Japan, South Korea, China

9.Which country people has the best personality ?
South Korea, Japan, China

10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?
Japan, South Korea, China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,152 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Reputation: 11625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Ask a Japanese person if they understand someone speaking the native dialiect of Kagoshima. Then ask the same person if they understand the dialect of folks speaking Okinawan. They do not, I have experienced this personally.

My father in law could never understand his father in law since they were from Kagoshima and he is from just north of Tokyo.

The Korean language I will admit is a bad comparison.

As for the response to my comment about attractiveness, it is what it is to me. We all like different things.
I think you're not quite understanding how different these languages are. The two Okinawan languages/dialects are as far from mainstream Japanese as it gets in Japan, but that's about it. Even with that there's some modest degree of mutual intelligibility. That being said, the dialects of Chinese often have about as far a distance among them and their are several different main branches meanwhile there are completely unrelated other languages within China. This isn't really comparable.

Everyone has their preferences. All I'm stating is that China is very large and somewhat diverse so it's unlikely you've seen how a good large chunk of China actually looks like as the various peoples can vary quite a bit. Nothing faulty about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,152 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Reputation: 11625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Also, I am only considering the languages that are natively spoken in the country. Many countries have the same languages spoken consistently.
Most of the languages he listed are native to where China is and often nowhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 3,875,391 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you're not quite understanding how different these languages are. The two Okinawan languages/dialects are as far from mainstream Japanese as it gets in Japan, but that's about it. Even with that there's some modest degree of mutual intelligibility. That being said, the dialects of Chinese often have about as far a distance among them and their are several different main branches meanwhile there are completely unrelated other languages within China. This isn't really comparable.

Everyone has their preferences. All I'm stating is that China is very large and somewhat diverse so it's unlikely you've seen how a good large chunk of China actually looks like as the various peoples can vary quite a bit. Nothing faulty about that.

There really is not any mutual intelligibility. It is not like US English and Australian English. It is a separate language. Several of the languages listed are spoken primarily else where as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawan_language
http://japanese.about.com/library/blqow22.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kagoshima_dialect (it is a dialect that is unintelligible to their northern counterparts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,152 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Reputation: 11625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
There really is not any mutual intelligibility. It is not like US English and Australian English. It is a separate language. Several of the languages listed are spoken primarily else where as well.

Okinawan language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Is Okinawan an actual language or a dialect of Japanese?

Kagoshima dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (it is a dialect that is unintelligible to their northern counterparts)
Mutual intelligibility is on a continuum though with US English and Australian English being very close and Scots being a hell of a lot further. You're right that Okinawan to Japanese is a bit of a stretch because the only thing I've heard Japanese friends say is that they can make out a few words and get a gist of things, but it's nowhere near adequate for a conversation. That being said, this is still nowhere near the kind of linguistic diversity found in China, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 3,875,391 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Mutual intelligibility is on a continuum though with US English and Australian English being very close and Scots being a hell of a lot further. You're right that Okinawan to Japanese is a bit of a stretch because the only thing I've heard Japanese friends say is that they can make out a few words and get a gist of things, but it's nowhere near adequate for a conversation. That being said, this is still nowhere near the kind of linguistic diversity found in China, right?

Of course, but the majority of the languages in China are not unique to China. They are spoken primarily in other countries as well.

I can walk through the streets in Ueno and hear dozens of languages spoken, just the same walking down the streets of Shanghai or NYC. If the population is diverse the languages are diverse. Go into Jiangsu you hear Mandarin and Wu. You go to Okinawa City you hear Okinawan and Japanese, and go to middle of nowhere Ohio you hear English and nothing else. It all depends on where you go in each country.

Let me put this another way, if someone not from the U.S. wants to come to America, is one of the deciding factors based on how many languages are spoken here? I doubt it, because the country is so large and diverse the chances of running into a specific language will depend on where you visit. The same with these three countries. When you visit China, you will here Mandarin primarily, and if you hear one of the other many languages, it is probably because you are in a area it is heavily spoken, but I doubt you hear the other 50+. You go to Japan, you will hear Japanese, until you visit a specific providence except in the off chance you run into someone else who speaks one of the other languages.

As I am typing this, I forgot the intent of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Of course, but the majority of the languages in China are not unique to China. They are spoken primarily in other countries as well.

I can walk through the streets in Ueno and hear dozens of languages spoken, just the same walking down the streets of Shanghai or NYC. If the population is diverse the languages are diverse. Go into Jiangsu you hear Mandarin and Wu. You go to Okinawa City you hear Okinawan and Japanese, and go to middle of nowhere Ohio you hear English and nothing else. It all depends on where you go in each country.

Let me put this another way, if someone not from the U.S. wants to come to America, is one of the deciding factors based on how many languages are spoken here? I doubt it, because the country is so large and diverse the chances of running into a specific language will depend on where you visit. The same with these three countries. When you visit China, you will here Mandarin primarily, and if you hear one of the other many languages, it is probably because you are in a area it is heavily spoken, but I doubt you hear the other 50+. You go to Japan, you will hear Japanese, until you visit a specific providence except in the off chance you run into someone else who speaks one of the other languages.

As I am typing this, I forgot the intent of this thread.
The whole point is: almost all Japanese residents are ethnic Japanese, no matter where you go. However, a huge chunk of China is dominated by non-Chinese, ethnically. Tibet+Xinjiang is already like 1/3 of China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top