U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM

188 posts, read 449,761 times

Advertisements

For all of you who picked Korean food - what's so great about it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,873,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
The spices, flavor and variety. Yes all three countries have variety, but something about Korean food that never gets old to me. I could say the same about Japanese food. Chinese food is one I tire of quickly.

But, Korean food is just so so so so so good. Everything from Hamul Tang to Bim Bim Bap and Kim Bap, to their version of Miso, the varieties of Kimchi, their version of Ox Tail soup and cold noodle.

edit: Korean BBQ and Soju is great as well.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,604,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
The spices, flavor and variety. Yes all three countries have variety, but something about Korean food that never gets old to me. I could say the same about Japanese food. Chinese food is one I tire of quickly.

But, Korean food is just so so so so so good. Everything from Hamul Tang to Bim Bim Bap and Kim Bap, to their version of Miso, the varieties of Kimchi, their version of Ox Tail soup and cold noodle.

edit: Korean BBQ and Soju is great as well.
Just curious: What Chinese food did you eat before?
Don't tell me American Chinese food.

Literally every city in China has its own food. Each time I went to Chengdu, some new dishes came out!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Just curious: What Chinese food did you eat before?
Don't tell me American Chinese food.

Literally every city in China has its own food. Each time I went to Chengdu, some new dishes came out!
I have had quite a bit. I have a lot of friends from different cultures who cook dinners and host. I have had what my friends make.

Why do you get so defensive sounding regarding people's opinions? Any time someone mentions they do not like something about China, you pop in and ask why. Just accept not everyone enjoys it. If it makes you feel better, I dislike traditional American food more then Chinese food, and I really dislike any restaurant that removes it soul to cater to the American pallet.

I do enjoy Schezuan and the other spicy foods. I imagine I would like food directly from Chengdu since it is spicy. Anyway, I rarely eat at Chinese restaurant with the exception of one, which is owned by a very respected business partner of mine. I trust his food is authentic, and I have always enjoyed it, except egg drop soup.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
Fresh vegetables, marinated meat cooked at your table, a dozen side dishes with every meal.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,604,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I have had quite a bit. I have a lot of friends from different cultures who cook dinners and host. I have had what my friends make.

Why do you get so defensive sounding regarding people's opinions? Any time someone mentions they do not like something about China, you pop in and ask why. Just accept not everyone enjoys it. If it makes you feel better, I dislike traditional American food more then Chinese food, and I really dislike any restaurant that removes it soul to cater to the American pallet.

I do enjoy Schezuan and the other spicy foods. I imagine I would like food directly from Chengdu since it is spicy. Anyway, I rarely eat at Chinese restaurant with the exception of one, which is owned by a very respected business partner of mine. I trust his food is authentic, and I have always enjoyed it, except egg drop soup.
Defensive? I don't think so. I just asked for more information.
I NEVER ASKED WHY either, only information. So please don't lie.

Since I am from China, I certainly know much MORE about Chinese food than you do. You need to be humble and listen to me instead of bragging how much you know about China. Obviously your knowledge about China is very limited with many mistakes. For example, you didn't even know many languages are spoken in China. I bet you don't even know what Uighur is.

You can also tell me more about Japanese food etc., which I don't know much. I only tried a few Japanese dishes before.

You have your right to dislike Chinese culture or other things. I have my right to show more facts. That's it.
It is a subjective topic to begin with and there is no hope and no need to convince anyone.
However you have to tolerate other people's post.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Best advanced entertainment: Japan and Korea tie, China
National language: Japan, Korea, China
Cuisine: Korea, Japan, China
Best weather and tourist attraction: China - it's such a big country so the variety is endless
Best fashion: Japan and Korea tie, China
Best looking people: Korea, China, Japan
Best education: Japan, Korea, China
Interesting culture: Japan, Korea & China are more similar
Best personality: Japan & Korea for opposite reasons, China
Best overall: Japan/Korea tie, China

Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 AM

139 posts, read 224,673 times
I lived & taught in China for almost 2 years. Frequent sojourns out to Korea and Japan, as they are in the vicinity and, let's be honest, when am I gonna get the chance to visit this part of the world again?

Entertainment: Japan's is definitely the most developed & westernized. Korea's kind of weird in that some of their entertainment is extremely well-developed and even more advanced than anything we have in the West, while other things are kept the old-fashioned way in the name of tradition. As you know, a lot of entertainment is regulated by the government in China, which is why I'd put China last.

Language: I think Japanese is not only the easiest to learn of the 3, but it's also got the nicest-sounding flow and rhythm to the words. Maybe Korean and Chinese just sounded unpleasant to me because people there put so much emotion and emphasis behind all their words.

Cuisine: I guess on an international scale, Japan's cuisine is just better known than Korean or Chinese food. Korean food is generally healthy, comes with lots of vegetables, but has tons of salt/sodium. Chinese food is generally quite oily, so it's always a good idea to down a cup of antioxidant-rich tea after a meal. So I'm scoring it Japan-Korea-China.

Weather: Not a fair question, since China's so damn big! Depends what you like, too! Northern Japan is awesome in the winter, especially if you're sweating it up at a thermal hot springs. But let's say you prefer hot weather all year round, you could head over to southern China. Just be warned that humidity down there can get pretty bad. So no answer for this one.

Tourism: Like weather, it's going to depend on a lot of things. Japan's great if you like the more developed city scene. China's fantastic for backpacking and seeing unspoiled nature in its finest. Korea's got so much rugged beauty mixed in with their sprawling urban cityscapes. Japan is also ridiculously expensive, while most parts of China are extremely cheap. Again, depends on your tastes.

Fashion:
Also not an easy question to answer since what constitutes good fashion depends on the person. For example, my friends are always saying the Japanese know how to dress well, but I thought a lot of what they wore was quite immature and kiddie. In China, the young kids are starting to develop fashion tastes that are more in line with Western standards, while Koreans are more similar to the Japanese in how they wear their clothes. Personally, I'd rank Korea first, then Japan, and finally China, but this will also depend on the person.

Attractiveness: Beauty's in the eye of the beholder. That said, I'd give the crown to the Koreans, runner-up to Japan, and bronze to the Chinese.

Education: I dunno. According to studies by the UN that aggregated test scores from every country, Korea ranked slightly above Japan and several spaces ahead of China. I believe is was (1) Finland (2) Korea and (3) Japan. But my question is, if education in these countries is that good, why are so many of their students committing suicide each year?

Interesting Culture: By virtue of them being so different from the Western civilization that I'm very used to, they are all pretty damn interesting. I find Japan's less interesting than Korea's or China's, however, because a lot of it's been diluted by Western influences.

Best Personality:
A lot of people are going to say the Japanese because they are usually polite to a fault and quite reserved in their manners. But I don't like how they hide their true feelings in order to keep the peace. People who despise each other will be very humble and nice towards the other, repressing their animosity (until they get home, I suppose). In this regard, I prefer the Koreans and Chinese. They're loud, boisterous, and kind of rude, with little to no respect for people's physical boundaries, but they'll show/tell you how they feel right upfront.

Overall: There's a lot to like (and dislike) about each country. My biggest gripes with China are the oppressiveness of its government and the really thick pollution blanketing most of their popular cities. Japan is fun and exciting and a really comfortably country overall, but it's way too expensive. Korea's not too expensive...generally 20-30% cheaper than the US for most things, but it's also right in-between China (still developing) and Japan (extremely developed).

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Defensive? I don't think so. I just asked for more information.
I NEVER ASKED WHY either, only information. So please don't lie.

Since I am from China, I certainly know much MORE about Chinese food than you do. You need to be humble and listen to me instead of bragging how much you know about China. Obviously your knowledge about China is very limited with many mistakes. For example, you didn't even know many languages are spoken in China. I bet you don't even know what Uighur is.

You can also tell me more about Japanese food etc., which I don't know much. I only tried a few Japanese dishes before.

You have your right to dislike Chinese culture or other things. I have my right to show more facts. That's it.
It is a subjective topic to begin with and there is no hope and no need to convince anyone.
However you have to tolerate other people's post.

Dude I am not lieing, I am giving an opinion. Nor do I claim to know a lot about China. I give opinion on what I know.

Your right I do not know that language, I would wager and guess most people do not. So congrats! If I decide to go to Google or Wiki, I will get my information. Also, point me to where I said how many languages are spoke in China? I do not think I ever made a claim to say how many. I tolerate all posts, but I get tired of seeing someone constantly trying to change other peoples mind because that is their home country.

China is a great country with a cool history and culture. I really hope to go to Shanghai and Beijing and take it all in. However, the closes I will probably come to those cities will be in visiting Hong Kong and Macau, since they have more rights and freedoms. I despise the government due to human rights issues, which I am sure you will deny. What country locks up a Nobel Prize winner?

For me Japanese food is delicate and varied. Much like other countries it changes depending on the providence. However, what seems to be consistent is method of preparation and the amount of care that goes into the food.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
Education: I dunno. According to studies by the UN that aggregated test scores from every country, Korea ranked slightly above Japan and several spaces ahead of China. I believe is was (1) Finland (2) Korea and (3) Japan. But my question is, if education in these countries is that good, why are so many of their students committing suicide each year?
The largest reason is the pressure put on these kids. They study over a year just to take entrance exams to get into a good school. Mothers put their kids through intensive study courses just for a good private Kindergarten, imagine what they go through for Junior High and High School.

It is interesting in Japan with their schools. It is very hard to get into a great school, but very easy to graduate from a great school. My wife has told me stories about her cram sessions that would last a year. Every day her and her sister would have to each the gelatin stuff behind the eyes of Salmon, because it is supposedly has the most DHA and Omega 3...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or