U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,792,865 times

Advertisements

I picked Korean food because a lot of the basis of Japanese food came from Korea. And I don't particularly care for Chinese food. Too greasy / oily. Americanized Chinese food is alright though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM

22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Defensive? I don't think so. I just asked for more information.
I NEVER ASKED WHY either, only information. So please don't lie.

Since I am from China, I certainly know much MORE about Chinese food than you do. You need to be humble and listen to me instead of bragging how much you know about China. Obviously your knowledge about China is very limited with many mistakes. For example, you didn't even know many languages are spoken in China. I bet you don't even know what Uighur is.

You can also tell me more about Japanese food etc., which I don't know much. I only tried a few Japanese dishes before.

You have your right to dislike Chinese culture or other things. I have my right to show more facts. That's it.
It is a subjective topic to begin with and there is no hope and no need to convince anyone.
However you have to tolerate other people's post.
Calm down guy. He didn't brag about knowing so much more about China or any of that. Obviously, he doesn't know all that much about China or Chinese food, but I don't see him attacking you or China anywhere.

Anyhow, I see a lot of posts about Chinese food and how greasy it is--this is accurate to some extent. There is a good deal of Chinese food out there that's quite greasy. However, China being as large as it is, there is also a great deal of food that isn't greasy at all. There are actually a very large variety of light and fresh tasting dishes throughout China that doesn't seem to have made as much an impact overseas, but basically the breadth of cuisine in China is pretty impressive. Japan I also like and I find has great variety and even more importantly seems to place quite an emphasis on quality so that nearly anywhere I go I would be pretty satisfied with my meal. Korea to me seems a bit less diverse in its offerings, but I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM

369 posts, read 800,064 times
China
  • Emphasis on quantity rather than quality
    Low cost of living by Asian standards
    Relatively oily and greasy food
    More outspoken, loud, crude and blunt people
    Family values tend to emphasize kids to be breadwinner of the family & get prestigious education and career
    Greater level of air pollution
    Government, at times, tried to play up nationalistic feelings to bolster domestic support for its legitimacy
    Relatively strict in terms of freedom of expression and media
    Generally more closely aligned to countries that are condemned by the US (i.e. Myanmar, North Korea)
    Relatively high income inequality (partly due to inconsistent urban development across different regions)
    The most powerful and respected Asian country before the late 19th century
    Often on poor terms with her neighbours particularly because she recently tried to flex her power

Korea
  • Unlike China and Japan, Korea has been the only one that was oppressed throughout history
    Huge binge culture
    Often compared to Japan in terms of pop culture and technology
    Relatively low cost of living
    Koreans, like the Chinese, are outspoken and blunt
    Extremely homogeneous society just like Japan
    Huge plastic surgery culture (thus, probably deemed the most superficial country of all)
    Highly stressful education system (comparable to China's)
    Democratic (unlike China)

Japan
  • Most expensive of all
    Japanese people tend to hide their true emotions so as to preserve collective harmony
    Unique sense of fashion
    Probably most technologically advanced of all
    Emphasis on quality rather than quantity
    Extremely homogeneous society
    Usually polite to a fault
    Rigid culture where everyone was to conform to social norms and rules
    Crazy work ethic whereby the husband (even if he's jobless) must be seen out of home and be back late
    Often on poor terms with her closest neighbours due to territorial disputes and WW2
    One of the highest suicide rates in the world
    Unlike China, family values emphasize on being a better person so as to contribute to society
    Democratic system (unlike China's)
    Cleaner than Korea and China and also generally safer

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
China
    Low cost of living by Asian standards
    Relatively oily and greasy food
    More outspoken, loud, crude and blunt people
    Family values tend to emphasize kids to be breadwinner of the family & get prestigious education and career
    Greater level of air pollution
    Government, at times, tried to play up nationalistic feelings to bolster domestic support for its legitimacy
    Relatively strict in terms of freedom of expression and media
    Generally more closely aligned to countries that are condemned by the US (i.e. Myanmar, North Korea)
    Relatively high income inequality (partly due to inconsistent urban development across different regions)
    The most powerful and respected Asian country before the late 19th century
    Often on poor terms with her neighbours particularly because she recently tried to flex her power

Korea
  • Unlike China and Japan, Korea has been the only one that was oppressed throughout history
    Huge binge culture
    Often compared to Japan in terms of pop culture and technology
    Relatively low cost of living
    Koreans, like the Chinese, are outspoken and blunt
    Extremely homogeneous society just like Japan
    Huge plastic surgery culture (thus, probably deemed the most superficial country of all)
    Highly stressful education system (comparable to China's)
    Democratic (unlike China)

Japan
  • Most expensive of all
    Japanese people tend to hide their true emotions so as to preserve collective harmony
    Unique sense of fashion
    Probably most technologically advanced of all
    Emphasis on quality rather than quantity
    Extremely homogeneous society
    Usually polite to a fault
    Crazy work ethic whereby the husband (even if he's jobless) must be seen out of home and be back late
    Often on poor terms with her closest neighbours due to territorial disputes and WW2
    One of the highest suicide rates in the world
    Unlike China, family values emphasize on being a better person so as to contribute to society
    Democratic system (unlike China's)
    Cleaner than Korea and China and also generally safer
Great list. Agreed with most of the points there. I generally find China the most interesting while Korea the least. But Japan comes up top as the best place to live.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
China[list]
I'm just isolating this from your post. Interesting you worded it that way. When I see it explained like that, it makes complete sense. If they think like that, then there really are no limits to what you'd do to put them in the very best educational environments that exist. I mean, if you think of your kids as future breadwinners for the family.

That also sums up the Korean mindset as well with Education, and family for that matter. It's also common throughout the U.S., that most Korean, (I guess Chinese as well, although I'm more tuned into Korean/Japanese), seem to migrate to the very best school districts, regardless of what it costs to live in those areas.

With my American mindset, I always felt like it was a waste of time/money to put so much into the kid's education. Mostly because, it seems that most American parents wouldn't expect to get anything back from that. The parents and kids in the U.S. are both expected to be independent, and kids wouldn't take care of their parents. It's usually an expectation that the parents might still provide for the kids, well into the kid's adulthood, if they aren't successful in 'getting them independent'.

Much prefer the Asian mindset with families, education, aging family members, etc. The idea that kids become breadwinners after the parents do everything they can to get them the best education, etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm just isolating this from your post. Interesting you worded it that way. When I see it explained like that, it makes complete sense. If they think like that, then there really are no limits to what you'd do to put them in the very best educational environments that exist. I mean, if you think of your kids as future breadwinners for the family.

That also sums up the Korean mindset as well with Education, and family for that matter. It's also common throughout the U.S., that most Korean, (I guess Chinese as well, although I'm more tuned into Korean/Japanese), seem to migrate to the very best school districts, regardless of what it costs to live in those areas.

With my American mindset, I always felt like it was a waste of time/money to put so much into the kid's education. Mostly because, it seems that most American parents wouldn't expect to get anything back from that. The parents and kids in the U.S. are both expected to be independent, and kids wouldn't take care of their parents. It's usually an expectation that the parents might still provide for the kids, well into the kid's adulthood, if they aren't successful in 'getting them independent'.

Much prefer the Asian mindset with families, education, aging family members, etc. The idea that kids become breadwinners after the parents do everything they can to get them the best education, etc.
That's the reason why most Asian families are more cohesive than their white counterparts.

Also in China, it should be noted that there are no social welfare policies/benefits where the Government would take care of the elderly and unemployed, unlike Europe and US. That's why high hopes are put on the younger generations, so that they will grow up to take up the responsibility as a breadwinner like what their forefathers always did. It is considered a great virtue and pride if the child is able to provide their parents, while it is seen as a big disgrace should the child fails to do so. Moreover, traditional Confucian teachings value filial piety and care for the elderly, and to depart from these values are a big no-no in societies influenced by these teachings (Chinese, Korean, etc). Contrary to the West, it is generally unimaginable and unforgiven for Asians to denounce or break familial ties with their parents, or to even prosecute/sue them in courts (like there's this famous case where the parents weren't able to afford the kid's education in college and that guy decided to sue his parents for not supporting his pursuit of education) - the kids who do this would be subjected to curses and insults by the society for being such an ungrateful son/daughter.

Last edited by kyh; 02-07-2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM

139 posts, read 224,673 times
Lot of misleading/incorrect statements here.

Quote:
China
  • Family values tend to emphasize kids to be breadwinner of the family & get prestigious education and career
  • Government, at times, tried to play up nationalistic feelings to bolster domestic support for its legitimacy
ONLY applies to China?

Quote:
Korea
Entirely false.

Quote:
Japan
  • Rigid culture where everyone was to conform to social norms and rules
  • Crazy work ethic whereby the husband (even if he's jobless) must be seen out of home and be back late
ONLY applies to Japan?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM

369 posts, read 800,064 times
Emphasis on quantity rather than quality

My bottom-line here is, little emphasis is placed on quality. One reason was owed to corruption as in the case of the high speed train crash in July 2011.

China high-speed train crash kills 35 - World - CBC News

Of course, we have other reasons such as unethical business practices and lack of quality control measures, which are a rarity in Japan.

This applies to both China and Korea (where kids are put through cram schools so as to do well for their university entrance exam eventually).

While Chinese and Korean parents emphasize on good grades and prestigious career, Japanese parents emphasize on personal development so as to contribute to society in the future.

Of all three countries, the Chinese government has the GREATEST role in this.

They clearly knew that their legitimacy to rule can be unstable and weakened by the inherent flaws (such as corruption, income inequality, etc) faced by their people.

So, they need an external foe to divert the people's attention to - in most cases, Japan and other times, Taiwan.

The anti-Chinese sentiment that arose in Japan from the territorial disputes and China's capitalization on the history card centres mostly in the right-wing groups rather than from the Japanese government.

Unlike China and Japan, Korea has been the only one that was oppressed throughout history

What i meant was, Korea had been overwhelmed by her Chinese and Japanese neighbours throughout history. Sorry for the confusion!

I'd say that the need to conform to social norms is more prevalent in Japan as they strongly emphasize on collective harmony; the individual interest should be subservient to the collective one. For instance, there was no looting and everyone stood in line for food and supplies during the Tohoku disaster in March 2011.

On the other hand, once disaster strikes, i'm pretty sure properties and commodities will be looted and stolen in China and Korea.

This CERTAINLY applies to only Japan.

Their corporate culture is such that it is shameful for men to be "jobless" and to come back home early from work as working the longest hours is the norm there.

So even if he is really jobless, he has to wander off to somewhere and return home late.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Quote:
Emphasis on quantity rather than quality

I'd say that the need to conform to social norms is more prevalent in Japan as they strongly emphasize on collective harmony; the individual interest should be subservient to the collective one. For instance, there was no looting and everyone stood in line for food and supplies during the Tohoku disaster in March 2011.

On the other hand, once disaster strikes, i'm pretty sure properties and commodities will be looted and stolen in China and Korea.
I recently read an article about how average Korean citizens donated gold amounting to millions during the financial crisis to keep afloat the economy. In the same article they mentioned during the Taean (I think thats right) oil spill, almost 25% of the entire population joined together and volunteered to help keep Korea's coastline clean for migratory birds.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,873,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
That's the reason why most Asian families are more cohesive than their white counterparts.

Also in China, it should be noted that there are no social welfare policies/benefits where the Government would take care of the elderly and unemployed, unlike Europe and US. That's why high hopes are put on the younger generations, so that they will grow up to take up the responsibility as a breadwinner like what their forefathers always did. It is considered a great virtue and pride if the child is able to provide their parents, while it is seen as a big disgrace should the child fails to do so. Moreover, traditional Confucian teachings value filial piety and care for the elderly, and to depart from these values are a big no-no in societies influenced by these teachings (Chinese, Korean, etc). Contrary to the West, it is generally unimaginable and unforgiven for Asians to denounce or break familial ties with their parents, or to even prosecute/sue them in courts (like there's this famous case where the parents weren't able to afford the kid's education in college and that guy decided to sue his parents for not supporting his pursuit of education) - the kids who do this would be subjected to curses and insults by the society for being such an ungrateful son/daughter.

Great insight on some government policies. It makes a lot of sense why the pressure is put on those children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or