U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,872,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I recently read an article about how average Korean citizens donated gold amounting to millions during the financial crisis to keep afloat the economy. In the same article they mentioned during the Taean (I think thats right) oil spill, almost 25% of the entire population joined together and volunteered to help keep Korea's coastline clean for migratory birds.

To further that point, I lived in Korea for a few years. During that time the country was subjected to typhoons. I am used to the American way of every man for himself, when I saw the country band together and help I was very impressed.

I am not sure where Joe has the idea the country would loot and riot because of disaster. However, that is his opinion and he is entitled to it, I just hope he sees the good eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
List from best to worst

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
6.Which country has the best looking people ?
7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
8.Which country has most interested culture ?
9.Which country people has the best personality ?
10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?

Note : For China also including Chinese's city-state like Singapore,Hong Kong and Taiwan too.
I really don't feel qualified to rank the countries for all of these criteria (or maybe because I see the rankings as sort of meaningless), so I'll just make a few brief comments. I probably prefer the sound of Japanese the most, and I tend to prefer Korean and Japanese to Chinese food, although Chinese cuisine is so diverse there are probably Chinese cuisines like Sichuan or Hunan I live as much as Korean/Japanese. China is much more diverse in all respects: topography, climate, people (how they look), cities, that it's probably to find places/things about it a lot worse than Korea and Japan and some things about it better.

I've only visited China, but am fascinated with Japan. Not as enamoured with Korea but wouldn't mind visiting one day. I still think China is the most interesting/has the most to offer because of it's sheer size and diversity, and the fact it's cultural is so old and developed.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It probably depends on what part of China you're exposed to, because people in different parts of China look pretty different from each other. Supposedly the most attractive are those who live in the Sichuan basin area while the least attractive are those in the Guangdong area (I am not saying that this is true, it's just the stereotype). The funny thing is, the vast majority of chinese overseas both historically and still true to the current day are from Guangdong and its neighbors will the interior, being not on a coast, such as the Sichuan basin area have had low amounts of foreign immigration.

The dialects you're talking about for Korean and Japanese are way more mutually intelligible for Korean and Japanese speakers than the dialects of China which have vast differences--and this is before including different languages often from unrelated language families. It's not really comparable.
The 'dialects' of Chinese are more properly described as separate languages. Mandarin and Cantonese are 61% intelligible, which is lower than English and German. The only reason people still describe them as 'dialects' is political. Even an outside observer can tell that Cantonese sounds nothing like Mandarin. I more often confuse Cantonese with Vietnamese than Mandarin, it has that nasal sound of the SE languages.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:52 AM

14 posts, read 11,249 times
WHy u supposed that he tried to change ur mind just as that is their home country.?
I think he was just trying to correct the wrong thing in ur words .

If u can not endure these kind of thing, why u post ur words here .

Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM

22,130 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liiz View Post
WHy u supposed that he tried to change ur mind just as that is their home country.?
I think he was just trying to correct the wrong thing in ur words .

If u can not endure these kind of thing, why u post ur words here .
wut?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:07 PM

38 posts, read 69,950 times
1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ? I vote Korea, and maybe some of Chinese Provinces.
2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ? Chinese (there are lots of dialect)
3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ? I won't vote Japanese Cuisine or Korean Food, they are just kind of similar. Chinese food are much different and has lots of local food.
4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ? Japan. Japan is a small country but it's beautiful.
5.Which country has the best fashioning ? Korea. Korean fashioning is famous by the World.
6.Which country has the best looking people ? I won't vote Korean because it's said that most Korean women look like a one (most of them are face-liftted?). Most Japanese women look like a cartoon girl, I'm just Aesthetic fatigue. I think Chinese is the most beautiful, most of them are more natural, and you'll find any types of good-looking women because of their broad area.
7.Which country people has the best educaton ? Japan in average. Japan is famous for their science and technology.
8.Which country has most interested culture ? China because of the variety.
9.Which country people has the best personality ? Except Japanese??
10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ? I'll vote China but it depends on where you go.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
I prefer Japan

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-10-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 AM

15,733 posts, read 9,246,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Defensive? I don't think so. I just asked for more information.
I NEVER ASKED WHY either, only information. So please don't lie.

Since I am from China, I certainly know much MORE about Chinese food than you do. You need to be humble and listen to me instead of bragging how much you know about China. Obviously your knowledge about China is very limited with many mistakes. For example, you didn't even know many languages are spoken in China. I bet you don't even know what Uighur is.

You can also tell me more about Japanese food etc., which I don't know much. I only tried a few Japanese dishes before.

You have your right to dislike Chinese culture or other things. I have my right to show more facts. That's it.
It is a subjective topic to begin with and there is no hope and no need to convince anyone.
However you have to tolerate other people's post.
If it's subjective, and just opinion, how do facts enter into it?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:55 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mandarin and Cantonese are 61% intelligible, .
Not even close. A person from nothern China with little exposure to Cantonese won't understand more than 10% of Cantonese.

The same person will understand probably 20% Shanghainese, and close to 0% of Min.

More importantly, mutual intelligibility is not even guaranteed within the same dialect. The dialect from Wenzhou, Zhejiang province, is vastly different from other WU dialect that someone from Shanghai will pretty much understand nothing.

Ask any Chinese, and they will tell you same story. It is funny to see how western say all the random things about Asia when they have next to zero experience.

Koreans being most attractive?? Not on my planet. A little research online will show that Koreans are least satisfied with how they look so much so that plastic surgery becomes extremely popular.

What's more important to point out is that the Japanese culture has a very high status in westerners' mind, but that doesn't mean it is richer or more interesting - it stems from two reasons

1) Japanese culture is well marketed - far better than Chinese one. Just think about the popularity of sushi in America. The Japanese rarely eat sushi or sashimi while Americans have all you can eat sushi buffets. If one really lives in Japan and China for 5 years, there is very little chance he may find Japan has more culture than China - most of its culture was borrowed from China to start with.

2) China did a much worse job preserving and respecting its culture and tradition than Japan did, especially after the 1960s. It still exists, but it is not neatly packaged and ready to export for the consumption of western customers. You need to go and find it.

despite the difference, the kind of culture in China and Japan is not even on the same magnitude. Food is a great example. Japanese cuisine, although highly hyped in America, has very limited selections - you go to a Japanese place, order some sushi and sashimi, tempura,ramen etc. that's it. What else can you possible get from a Japanese menu? On the other hand, it is not rare for Chinese restaurants to have a 50 page menu.

Japanese food is considered of "higher quality" because it suits western tastes better. How many westerners actually have tried more authentic non-Cantonese Chinese restaurants? The old Chinese royal families in China didn't eat Cantonese food.

As to Korea, it is funny even to compare Korea with the entire China. It is more appropriate to compare it with one or two specific Chinese Provinces. It is like comparing Italy to Malta - a meaningless exercise.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtran View Post
I prefer Japan
because you have lived extensively in all three countries and have profound knowledge of their culture? I presume all your knowledge comes from English language media about these countries, am I right?

Such preference is as meaningful as a 6 year old's preference for Disneyland thinking it is the most interesting thing in the world because he hasn't seen 99.99% of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or