U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 PM

76 posts, read 54,081 times

Advertisements

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ? Japan, I love anime and manga. Japanese produced many enjoyable anime shows to watch and enjoyable manga comic books to read. And I also think some Japanese songs are enjoyable to listen.

Korean entertainment is overrated, I don't like watching Korean dramas (except for Dae Jang Geum and Full House) and I don't like Korean songs (except for few of the Winter Sonata and Full House original soundtracks).

China's entertainment is underdeveloped, the only places with developed Chinese style entertainment are Taiwan and Hong Kong. Many of the good Chinese language songs and dramas are produced at Taiwan, while many of the good Chinese movies are produced at Hong Kong. The only good entertainment produced in China is the historical TV shows.

2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ? I like Japanese and the Wu Chinese languages (Wu Chinese languages are spoken at the areas like Jiangsu, Zhejiang, and Shanghai). Japanese langauge sounds very adorable and smooth, although I don't like much the sound of the Japanese language which is spoken by the people from Osaka.

Wu Chinese languages sound quite pleasant to my ears. I love the sound of Shanghainese, Jiangsunese, and Zhejiangnese languages. Suzhou dialect of Jiangsunese Wu language sounds smooth, although sometimes some of the words could be a little too effeminate sounding. Hangzhou dialect of Zhenjiangnese Wu language sounds smooth as well, but some of the words also have the same problem of effeminate soundings like Suzhou dialect words do. Shanghainese dialect of Wu language is often perceived as snobby sounding, but to my ears it doesn't sound snobby. Shanghainese dialect sounds a bit like Japanese sometimes, but I love the unique sounding of the Shanghainese dialect.

Mandarin, I have mixed feelings about that language. I don't like much the sound Beijing Mandarin because I find the language sounds pretentious and obnoxious. I personally prefer the sound of Taiwanese Mandarin or Shandong Mandarin (Jiaoliao Mandarin).

Sichuanese language sounds rather hilarious sometimes, Cantonese could be hilarious sounding too.

Korean language to me sounds okay, nothing bad about it but nothing really good about it either. So, I am neutral to Korean language.

3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ? I like Japanese food, it's fresh and healthy. It is true that Japanese dishes are typically mild compared to Chinese dishes but I still love them.
My favorite Japanese dishes: Sushi, Sashimi, Japanese grilled salmon, Tempura, Udon, Soba, Miso soup, Tonkatsu, Katsudon, Ebi furai, Shabu-shabu, Sukiyaki, Mochi, Japanese grilled cod with miso, Japanese grilled eggplant with miso, Yakiniku, Teriyaki, Japanese style steaks, and Japanese style croquettes.

Some styles of Chinese food like Cantonese, Shandong, Sichuan, and Teochew styles are really good. Many of my favorite Chinese are cooked in Cantonese, Shandong, Sichuan, and Teochew styles.
My favorite Cantonese style Chinese dishes: Claypot rice, Cantonese fried noodle, Cantonese stir fried vegetables, Cantonese style barbecued pork (Chasiu), Slow cooked soup, Cantonese style roast pork, Congee porridge, Dim sum, Cantonese steamed fish, Cantonese braised abalone with mushrooms, and Cantonese salt and pepper squid.
My favorite Shandong style Chinese dishes: Shandong style carp and Scallion pancake
My favorite Teochew style Chinese dishes: Braised pork, Braised duck, Yusheng (Teochew style seafood salad), Teochew style pork bone soup (Bah kut teh), Teochew porridge, Braised vegetables, Oyster omelette, and Turnip cake (Cha tow kway).
My favorite Sichuan style Chinese dishes: Kungpao chicken, Chicken with chili, Sichuan fried chicken with salt, Tea smoked duck, and Twice cooked pork.

But some other styles of Chinese food like Hokkien, Beijing, Tianjin, and Northeast styles aren't that good to me. Thankfully, my family members could cook many good Chinese dishes (especially my father and my aunt).

I don't like Korean food that much. Sorry to say to any Koreans or any Korean food lovers out there, I just don't like the taste of Korean food (especially the taste of Kimchi).

4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ? Japan and China, I find both Japan and China to be interesting for visiting. Japan, although smaller than China but it has so many places that I find beautiful and interesting to be visited (especially Kyoto, Hokkaido, and Nara).

China also has many nice places that I love to visit such as Suzhou, Hangzhou, Chengdu, Kunming, Xi'an, Qingdao, Beijing, and Shanghai. It is true that China has problems with pollution, human rights abuses, scammers, pick-pockets, corruption, disputes with neighboring countries, communism, and government scandals but still I find China to be quite a enjoyable place to be visited as long I am careful.

Korea to me feels boring, even Seoul bores me. Few parts of Korea like Jeju island and Busan are nice to be visited but most of Korea just bores me.

5.Which country has the best fashion? Japan, I love the Japanese fashion because it suits my character and clothing preference better. Japanese fashion to me look simple but very neat and stylish looking, Japanese fashion is my personal favorite next to French and British fashions (I am highly attracted to simple but stylish look type of fashion). And I also love some Japanese clothing brands like Uniqlo and Kenzo.

Korean fashion is overrated, the style looks weird to me. Korean male fashion to me looks a little too
girly and effeminate, while Korean female fashion sometimes looks too prissy to me.

China is still very underdeveloped in terms of fashion.

6.Which country has the best looking people? I have seen both attractive and not so attractive people at Japan, Korea, and China.

I don't think Japanese and Koreans are as good looking as people said, I have seen a fair share of Japanese and Koreans that I don't find that attractive at all.

Some Japanese are good looking, but many Japanese I have met are not as good looking as people said.

Koreans are overrated, some are good looking but many are not. Korean men look effeminate, while Korean girls look a little too artificial looking.

I don't think all Chinese are bad looking either, I have seen a fair share of Chinese that I find attractive. I have Chinese blood myself but I don't think I look that bad and some of my Chinese blooded family members look quite attractive.

7.Which country people has the best education? I would say Korea and Japan, at least for primary education. Japanese education system is pretty good, Japanese students study very seriously, and Japan has the highest number of college graduates. But the main problem with the Japanese education system are the pressure put onto the students and the route learning, Japanese students are often pressurized because of the high expectation of the Japanese education system. Route learning is also another problem because route learning could stifles student's creativity, Japanese education system still practices some route learning techniques.

Korean education system nowadays is also getting good, Korean students study very hard and Korea also has the highest number college graduates (alongside with Japan). But Korean education system also has the same problems with Japanese education system, route learning and the pressure put onto the students. Korean students are as pressurized as the Japanese students, but sometimes the pressure that Korean students have undergone could be slightly worse than the pressure that Japanese students have to undergone. Route learning technique within the Korean educations system also could be slightly worse than the route learning technique of Japanese education system.

China's education system is still backwards because of the communist influence within the Chinese education system. Which is the main reason why the Chinese would prefer to go to Europe, America, Singapore, Hong Kong, and anywhere else to get a better education and intellectual capabilities.

8.Which country has most interested culture? Japan and China, Japan's history is not as long as China but Japanese culture is pretty interesting and very well-established. Japanese culture also has the soothing and refined feelings that I love the most.

Chinese culture also pretty interesting, thanks to the long history of cultural establishment. Many of the Chinese cultural aspects are well-established since thousand years ago. I enjoy Chinese cultural aspects very much. But the saddest thing about Chinese culture is that many of them lost during the Cultural Revolution. There are significant attempts of cultural revival now within China, but still needs more effort and hard work to be fully revived. I think Taiwan and Hong Kong are the best places where many of the Chinese cultural aspects that lost during Cultural Revolution are still preserved and practiced by the people there. Taiwanese and Hong Kongers still practice many of the Chinese cultural aspects that people in China don't practice anymore. Even the overseas Chinese communities still practice the cultural aspects that people in China don't practice anymore.

Korean culture is okay, a little boring but not that bad. The main problem with Korean culture is that Korean culture lacks the refinement of the Japanese culture. Even Chinese culture has more refined characteristics than Korean culture. Another problem with Korean culture is that the establishment is not as well-developed as Japanese and Chinese cultures. Koreans need to put more effort to make their culture becomes more refined and well-developed.

9. Which country people has the best personality? I would say Japanese, Japanese people are mostly very intelligent and pleasant to deal with. My Japanese cousin-in-law (one of my paternal cousin is married to a Japanese lady) is one of the most pleasant person that I have ever met. My Japanese aunt (one of my maternal uncle is married to a Japanese lady, they have two children now) is also pretty pleasant, I talked to her before and I like her.

Mainland Chinese could be unpleasant to deal with, due to the communism side effects. Hong Kongers, Taiwanese, and overseas Chinese are more pleasant to deal with because they are not influenced by communism. Although there are few exceptions for Mainland Chinese, my Chinese teachers from China are quite pleasant to deal with and my father's friend from China is also quite a pleasant person.

Koreans are sometimes a bit annoying to deal with, although I have met some Koreans who are pleasant as well.

10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall? I would say Japan, because Japan to me is the most developed Asian country.

China still has so many shortcomings due to the communist influences.

Korea is getting better lately, but Koreans still need more effort to make their country better.

Last edited by Cheng99; 03-03-2016 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:48 PM

18,548 posts, read 9,586,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
List from best to worst

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
6.Which country has the best looking people ?
7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
8.Which country has most interested culture ?
9.Which country people has the best personality ?
10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?

Note : For China also including Chinese's city-state like Singapore,Hong Kong and Taiwan too.
1. Korea
2. Korea
3. Korea
4. China
5. Korea
6. Tie
7. Japan/Korea tie
8. China
9. China
10. Japan

I worked several years in China/Korea/Mongolia and this is my opinion. I like the food best in Korea, enjoy the people best in China but Japan is still the best country overall.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 AM

28 posts, read 22,998 times
Singapore does not belong to China.[QUOTE=Great_Jack;28040255]List from best to worst
Note : For China also including Chinese's city-state like Singapore,Hong Kong and Taiwan too.[/quote]

Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 AM

448 posts, read 499,665 times
Something interesting about Mandarin. The Chinese find the spoken Taiwanese Mandarin very female like, but more polite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheng99 View Post
Mandarin, I have mixed feelings about that language. I don't like much the sound Beijing Mandarin because I find the language sounds pretentious and obnoxious. I personally prefer the sound of Taiwanese Mandarin or Shandong Mandarin (Jiaoliao Mandarin).

Sichuanese language sounds rather hilarious sometimes, Cantonese could be hilarious sounding too.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:18 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,882,400 times
Quote:
List from best to worst

Note : For China also including Chinese's city-state like Singapore,Hong Kong and Taiwan too.
1. Korea
2. Japan
3. Japan
4. China
5. Japan
6. Tie
7. Japan, Korea tie
8. Japan, China tie
9. Japan
10. Japan

Old 03-05-2016, 10:39 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
List from best to worst

1. Japan.
2. Japanese.
3. Tie between Japanese and Cantonese food.
4. Japan.
5. I don't care.
6. I don't care.
7. Equally ****ty.
8. I think you mean interesting. Japan
9. What a weird question.
10. Japan.

Quote:

And Taiwan is not a city-state. There are zillions of mountains and forests and no one lives there, except for poisonous snakes and some other weird animals and butterflies.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 PM

919 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Something interesting about Mandarin. The Chinese find the spoken Taiwanese Mandarin very female like, but more polite.
And Taiwanese Mandarin can convey richer emotions than Beijing Mandarin can.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:17 AM

3,314 posts, read 1,501,775 times
North Korea is the best Korea.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
And Taiwanese Mandarin can convey richer emotions than Beijing Mandarin can.
Not true. And I have never heard any Chinese speaker or learner said so, except you.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 PM

919 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Not true. And I have never heard any Chinese speaker or learner said so, except you.
So how long have you learned it BTW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or