U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 AM

1,424 posts, read 736,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Not mine but your statement leads to a conclusion: Chinese people are poor learners of foreign languages.

Off topic, but can you tell the differences among 吃了饭 vs 吃饭了 vs 吃了饭了? Many Chinese people can't tell the differences
It depends on what you look at. If you only focus on grammar, Chinese people may make the most mistakes in certain ways, because Chinese has the poorest morphology among major languages in the world. It is not news.

However, when Chinese and Americans study Japanese together, normally you will see Chinese students acquire the vocabulary of Japanese much faster than Americans do, although Chinese students may have more issues in grammar.

When I looked at the 初级日本语教程 used in China, the first lesson after 五十音图 has "田中さんは日本人です"(with kanji), and the second lesson has "王さんは、図書館に行きます".
American students certainly cannot go that fast. It is true the other way round as well: although many westerners and Africans speak very good Chinese, in terms of reading and writing, Japanese (and maybe Koreans) usually perform the best.

Chinese people may not know how to explain the use of 吃了饭 vs 吃饭了 vs 吃了饭了, but they can put them in the right context. It is true for most people in the world, without training in linguistics.

Generally, if you want to express "I have already eaten", you should use 我吃了饭了。 我吃了饭 emphasizes the action more than the event, and it can even be something in the future (我明天吃了饭去学校。)
吃饭了 can mean it is time to eat, while the other two do not have this meaning.
However, their semantics can overlap in certain contexts too.

Last edited by yueng-ling; 08-06-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:48 PM

919 posts, read 604,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
However, when Chinese and Americans study Japanese together, normally you will see Chinese students acquire the vocabulary of Japanese much faster than Americans do, although Chinese students may have more issues in grammar.

When I looked at the 初级日本语教程 used in China, the first lesson after 五十音图 has "田中さんは日本人です"(with kanji), and the second lesson has "王さんは、図書館に行きます".
American students certainly cannot go that fast. It is true the other way round as well: although many westerners and Africans speak very good Chinese, in terms of reading and writing, Japanese (and maybe Koreans) usually perform the best.
Yes, Chinese people tend to memorize Japanese vocabularies faster than Americans do at the beginning. But, once Americans handle basic Kanji's, Americans leave Chinese behind generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Chinese people may not know how to explain the use of 吃了饭 vs 吃饭了 vs 吃了饭了, but they can put them in the right context. It is true for most people in the world, without training in linguistics.

Generally, if you want to express "I have already eaten", you should use 我吃了饭了。 我吃了饭 emphasizes the action more than the event, and it can even be something in the future (我明天吃了饭去学校。)
吃饭了 can mean it is time to eat, while the other two do not have this meaning.
However, their semantics can overlap in certain contexts too.
The usages of 了 are complicated, and more so with 过 combined.

I have already eaten = 我吃了饭了, however, I would reply with 我吃过了 if someone asked me whether I have or not.

As for the second sentence, I would add 再 to it, as 我明天吃了饭再去学校.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or