U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM

88 posts, read 182,958 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever do that from the US??? I was just in HK for a week to visit relatives (after not being back there in over 25 years). Thinking maybe about moving there to start my life over again. I do have a good job here, but I feel like I am going nowhere. Getting close to middle age with no family, etc.

My uncle is encouraging me to give HK a try. I do speak the language fluently and I have family there (including my uncle). Just not sure how much of a culture shock it would be. My mom is against this idea and thinks her brother (my uncle) is nuts for even suggesting this to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,872,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapiggie101 View Post
Anybody ever do that from the US??? I was just in HK for a week to visit relatives (after not being back there in over 25 years). Thinking maybe about moving there to start my life over again. I do have a good job here, but I feel like I am going nowhere. Getting close to middle age with no family, etc.

My uncle is encouraging me to give HK a try. I do speak the language fluently and I have family there (including my uncle). Just not sure how much of a culture shock it would be. My mom is against this idea and thinks her brother (my uncle) is nuts for even suggesting this to me.

I think there is no better time than now. So long as China and Japan do not go to war, all should be well.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
If you speak the language and have relatives all over the place there, than seems like cultural shock would be minimized. I'd go for it.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,404,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapiggie101 View Post

Questions:

1) How old are you?

2) Are you having problem finding a girlfriend/wife in the US? If so, do you think it's eaiser for you in HK?

3) What are you plans in terms of employment in HK?

4) Are you confident in your ability to get a similiar job to what you have if after 2 years you want to come back to US?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,470 times
Why not give yourself a go at this opportunity? It's not everyday that you'll get a chance to relocate to the other part of the world, more so when you have relatives there and it is about time for you to reconnect with your roots and all that. I'll definitely jump at this opportunity if I were you. Moreover, if you don't like the experience, you can always move back. But chances are you'll love it as HK is teeming with excitement, cosmopolitan flair, and splendid architecture and skyline.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 PM

139 posts, read 224,610 times
while working in china teaching english, i've run across so many expats like yourself who've started new lives out here in cities like shanghai, beijing, hk. every single one of their parents were adamant against the idea.

that's because their parents were born in china somewhere, immigrated to a Western country, worked their asses off, and built a decent lifestyle there. They all feel as if they've won some lottery that allowed them to live in such great countries. So when their kids tell them that they're considering returning to the country that they themselves LEFT all those years back, their typical response is to flip out.

what they don't realize is how much their home countries have changed and how there are tons of great opportunities available for those who know where to look. people who would have spent their lives slogging away in the US are now running companies/restaurants/bars/tours all over Asia since they can speak both languages, understand the culture well, and generally gain acceptance in communities quicker than any of us gwailo ever will.

now for the caveat: you'll need money/ways to make money. is your job transferable? if not, do you think your connections in HK can help you find something? do you have some money to fall back on while you're searching? timing has some good questions in this regard.

starting a new life can fun. but only if you've got all the big questions taken care of. otherwise, it's just going to be the same struggle but with a different backdrop.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Why not give yourself a go at this opportunity? It's not everyday that you'll get a chance to relocate to the other part of the world, more so when you have relatives there and it is about time for you to reconnect with your roots and all that. I'll definitely jump at this opportunity if I were you. Moreover, if you don't like the experience, you can always move back. But chances are you'll love it as HK is teeming with excitement, cosmopolitan flair, and splendid architecture and skyline.
I totally agree IF the original poster has tons of $$$$$$$ or have a job lined up?

If he doesn't like the experience, he can always move back? It's not like he is working at Burger King. He can come back, but his job will be gone!

Always come back...who are you, like Paris Hilton?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I totally agree IF the original poster has tons of $$$$$$$ or have a job lined up?

If he doesn't like the experience, he can always move back? It's not like he is working at Burger King. He can come back, but his job will be gone!

Always come back...who are you, like Paris Hilton?
You don't need tonnes of money (as in hundreds of thousands) to relocate. If you are poor and down-trodden, you wouldn't even think of relocating overseas. Only those who are financially capable of this would be open to this option. Moreover, he says he has a good job, that probably means he is financially stable in a way. He is looking for a change of environment and etc, so why not give this a try? He's been to HK recently which leads him to give this a thought, which means that HK has given him an impressionable memory that he is keen on returning. There are many expats (be it the rich bankers or those teaching English as a second language, which is not really a high-paid job) who move to other countries, and if that doesn't work, they can always move back. But so far, experiences have been mostly pleasant, and you'll gain more worth to your life experiences, and money can't buy that. Of course, I'm not denying other factors that should be considered for an important life-changing decision like this, but if one is to overly worry about this and that all the time, he/she will never step out of his comfort zone. Besides, he could always send resumes and apply for jobs in HK while he is still back in the states, and if he's accepted, he could then decide whether to move there permanently and take up the job.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
while working in china teaching english, i've run across so many expats like yourself who've started new lives out here in cities like shanghai, beijing, hk. every single one of their parents were adamant against the idea.

that's because their parents were born in china somewhere, immigrated to a Western country, worked their asses off, and built a decent lifestyle there. They all feel as if they've won some lottery that allowed them to live in such great countries. So when their kids tell them that they're considering returning to the country that they themselves LEFT all those years back, their typical response is to flip out.

what they don't realize is how much their home countries have changed and how there are tons of great opportunities available for those who know where to look. people who would have spent their lives slogging away in the US are now running companies/restaurants/bars/tours all over Asia since they can speak both languages, understand the culture well, and generally gain acceptance in communities quicker than any of us gwailo ever will.

now for the caveat: you'll need money/ways to make money. is your job transferable? if not, do you think your connections in HK can help you find something? do you have some money to fall back on while you're searching? timing has some good questions in this regard.

starting a new life can fun. but only if you've got all the big questions taken care of. otherwise, it's just going to be the same struggle but with a different backdrop.
Exactly. Most immigrant parents (esp Asians) have this traditional view that their kids shouldn't go back to the home they first fled from, thinking their countries of origin are still the same old, feudal, poor piece of land when they first emigrated. And yet the same trend is happening to many Americans and Australians who return to Europe to settle down after so many generations since their immigrant forefathers arrived in the New World.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
You don't need tonnes of money (as in hundreds of thousands) to relocate.
How many people can afford to another country and not have income for two years.

It's a whole different stoy if he wants to go there for a two months vacation and total different story if he wants to go there for two years as relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or