U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,849,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog of Life View Post
Just went to Harbin a couple weeks ago. Definitely not your typical Chinese city. Some parts definitely feel European. I highly recommend checking out the Ice Festival. It's phenomenal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's interesting that typically Chinese people in the south are not interested in going to Harbin in the winter, because they feel it would be unbearable.
However a lot of foreign expats have been there.
Harbin used to be a very unknown mysterious city internationally. However, this city gained some prominence recently and is becoming a bit more known to people outside of China.

It is probably never going to reach the level of Shanghai, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Beijing, etc, but Harbin does have its unique charm and seems intriguing. Some areas of Harbin also appears visually pleasant and photogenic.

Are there any other cities similar to Harbin in Manchuria Northeastern China: Heilongjiang and Jilin provinces?

Dalian in Liaoniang province seems like a nice coastal city and even has some Russian architecture influence, but probably not nearly as much as Harbin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know all about this. When I was in college, I wrote a paper about the Russian influences in Harbin.
Quote:
One place to look is this university: Harbin Institute of Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harbin Institute of Technology was founded as Harbin Sino-Russian School for Industry, to educate railway engineers in the Russian style.
Quote:
Dalian also has some Russian influence.

Dalian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Russian Dalian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The dialect spoken in Dalian includes some loanwords from the Russian language.

That is impressive that you wrote an essay for college many years ago about this exact topic for Russian influence in Northeastern China and the city of Harbin. Was it for Anthropology, Sociology, or Geography college subject major related? Was that essay similar to what people wrote here for the same topic?

Harbin and Dalian for a long time was completely unknown mysterious cities internationally, including for Americans, but these 2 cities are recently becoming a bit more prominent and known to people outside of China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Looks Russian to me: File:
The architecture does look Russian in that photo in this Chinese city.

Maybe this situation is proportional the other way around and Russia having some significant Chinese architecture in some areas of Siberia bordering Northeastern China, especially in the city of Vladivostok.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes it is interesting. The architecture, influence in food.etc. Harbin used to have a large Russian community, expelled during the Communist revolution. There still is a small community hanging on. Russians are considered one of China's ethnic minorities, actually, and many have integrated quite well into Chinese society. Many Chinese are also moving into Asian Russia for the economic opportunity, and it will be interesting to see how the region evolves in the next few decades.
The Russian influence of Harbin is intriguing and this area of Northeastern China has historical and modern connections to Russia. Chinese and Russian relations is an interesting topic and some people believe these countries always ignore each other, but that is not true, at least in the geographic bordering regions.

How large was this Russian community that used to exist in Harbin?

The relations does not seem evenly distributed between Northeastern China with Siberia Russia as that area of Russia seems more closed off and detached from Chinese influence.

Harbin actually has much closer geographic distance to the Russian city of Vladivostok than to Beijing, 400 miles/643km vs. 800 miles/1,287km away. Harbin has 5 to 7 million people while that Russian city only has 600,000 people, although a significant size.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
The Russian influence of Harbin is intriguing and this area of Northeastern China has historical and modern connections to Russia. Chinese and Russian relations is an interesting topic and some people believe these countries always ignore each other, but that is not true, at least in the geographic bordering regions.

How large was this Russian community that used to exist in Harbin?

The relations does not seem evenly distributed between Northeastern China with Siberia Russia as that area of Russia seems more closed off and detached from Chinese influence.

Harbin actually has much closer geographic distance to the Russian city of Vladivostok than to Beijing, 400 miles/643km vs. 800 miles/1,287km away. Harbin has 5 to 7 million people while that Russian city only has 600,000 people, although a significant size.
Russians in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite a few I think. It seems there are more Chinese in Russian than vice versa, with more Chinese influence in Siberia than the other way around. The natives of Siberia are Asians, don't forget, so the Chinese would probably bled in more there.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 PM

48,186 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
That is impressive that you wrote an essay for college many years ago about this exact topic for Russian influence in Northeastern China and the city of Harbin. Was it for Anthropology, Sociology, or Geography college subject major related? Was that essay similar to what people wrote here for the same topic?

Harbin and Dalian for a long time was completely unknown mysterious cities internationally, including for Americans, but these 2 cities are recently becoming a bit more prominent and known to people outside of China.
I did write a term paper as well as made a powerpoint presentation on the Russian influences on Harbin,China. I did it for a geography class. The essay was nothing like what anyone else was doing. I did it because I saw the northeast region of China as interesting, as unique.

I could understand why both cities would be like mysteries. Most people often think of Beijing or Shanghai. Few people think of Harbin or Dalian, or other places like Chengdu or Urumqi. Also, from 1949-1974, most foreigners were forbidden from entering China. For this reason, it can be understandable that Harbin and Dalian are often not know to many people outside of China.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,004,823 times
Beautiful buildings in Harbin.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 PM

78,752 posts, read 70,607,687 times
That Chinese-influenced Russian cuisine from Harbin (which Russian immigres brought to the US) is some of the best food I've ever eaten! If it survives in Harbin, someone should compile a cookbook of it, before it disappears.

The Russian established an engineering school in Harbin, that's still going strong. Graduates of that school later settled in San Francisco, and built apartment buildings around the Richmond District and the Russian Orthodox Church on Geary St. A good part of the Harbin Russian community ended up in Berkeley and San Francisco, a few in Seattle, after WWII.

http://www.sanfranciscophotoblog.com...ox-church.html

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-11-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM

78,752 posts, read 70,607,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Why would it be a surprise? Russia is next door?
There was Russian influence in Alaska, when it was owned by the Tsar, why not in that part of the world?
This is true. There are beautiful Russian Orthodox churches all over Alaska.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM

48,186 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Beautiful buildings in Harbin.
Nothing like it anywhere in the world. A blend of Russian and Chinese.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,004,823 times
Yep, one of my favorite cities in China.

Quote:
Nothing like it anywhere in the world. A blend of Russian and Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or