U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM

6,257 posts, read 6,394,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From my experience in China, university students are quite respectfully to their teachers. But not all students are good students and generally among the male students they are more lazy and less academically-minded.
Really, the males are just less inclined to have to sit day after day for hours and listen to some dull lecture that is mostly filler, circumvents any useful points in order to take up the allotted time. They could probably get all the useful info, and the specific info they want through the web. Or do some assignment that fails to really demonstrate something useful and is put together so the faculty can make it look like they are doing something.

I am assuming Asia's public schools are done the same way as the USA. I imagine if not for western influence, many countries would not even have schools, so my idea of schooling is what I went through for most of my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,455,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've taught in Asia for a long time. I think some Asian students work REALLY HARD and others are very lazy. They really aren't that different from American students, etc.

The Education systems are different though. Asian schools are generally rhote memorization, whereas American/Western ones are more critical thinking.

Personally, I think that American/Western kids get better educations.

All that being said, I'd rather teach in Asia. Mostly because Asian society and culture and everything else values education and teachers and such. Whereas in the U.S., there seems to be very little respect for teachers whatsoever.
Can't speak for America, but I assume Australia is similar. I didn't find our education system encouraged much 'critical thinking', it was mostly just rote learning as well, although it wasn't always just memorising of facts but 'understanding' the broad themes.etc. Depending on the subject, of course, a subject like chemistry is basically just learning facts, whereas history was more about a broader understanding. Still, even geography seemed too much bout just the facts.

University - well, I've heard in America there's this idea of just going to college for the sake of it and the idea that college is a 'life experience' that is supposed to develop you holistically for adult life. Here, uni (as we usually call it, we don't call it 'college') is more about just getting your degree. Most students live at home or off-campus and most aren't all that involved in 'university life' aside from doing their coursework.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Yeah there is this idea in the West that schools in Asia are just machines that turn out pupils who excel at maths, science.etc, who know their stuff well but aren't very innovative and creative. I too wonder how true this is. I find the Japanese one of the most innovative nations on earth, I don't think they just copy everything as some have said. I also think the American system probably isn't as dissimilar as one would think. The folks in Silicon valley etc don't represent all of America.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,861,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Yes I read that whole thread and your post was certainly full of great information much of which is conformation of what I believe and there was also quite a lot of things I hadn't thought about. Sorry about taking so long to get back to you.
I agree and both of us wrote a wealth of information related to the idea of education that is very accurate for the overall reality of education, including for this topic and the situation in Asia.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,861,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah there is this idea in the West that schools in Asia are just machines that turn out pupils who excel at maths, science.etc, who know their stuff well but aren't very innovative and creative. I too wonder how true this is. I find the Japanese one of the most innovative nations on earth, I don't think they just copy everything as some have said. I also think the American system probably isn't as dissimilar as one would think. The folks in Silicon valley etc don't represent all of America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Can't speak for America, but I assume Australia is similar. I didn't find our education system encouraged much 'critical thinking', it was mostly just rote learning as well, although it wasn't always just memorising of facts but 'understanding' the broad themes.etc. Depending on the subject, of course, a subject like chemistry is basically just learning facts, whereas history was more about a broader understanding. Still, even geography seemed too much bout just the facts.

University - well, I've heard in America there's this idea of just going to college for the sake of it and the idea that college is a 'life experience' that is supposed to develop you holistically for adult life. Here, uni (as we usually call it, we don't call it 'college') is more about just getting your degree. Most students live at home or off-campus and most aren't all that involved in 'university life' aside from doing their coursework.
The process of Education and Learning about all sorts of topics for people and collecting information does appear to be narrowed down to Critical Thinking vs. Rote Memorization, Creative vs. Technical, and Idealism vs. Actions.

There is variation based on regions of countries for how Education and Learning is shown in day to day life. I bet there has to be some false misconceptions about Education and Career Work in Asia.

Asia is a very diverse area and not all of Asia is the same. There is a noticeable difference between China/South Korea/Japan vs. Taiwan/Singapore vs. India/Thailand/Vietnam for this topic. There is plenty of creative and entrepreneurial Asians in spirit and mind that are successful and donít go into Science/Mathematical/Technical related hobbies/interests and careers.

Outside of School Education and Career Work, there is definitely a vibrant, fun loving, easygoing leisure activities and entertainment side to Asia.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
The process of Education and Learning about all sorts of topics for people and collecting information does appear to be narrowed down to Critical Thinking vs. Rote Memorization, Creative vs. Technical, and Idealism vs. Actions.

There is variation based on regions of countries for how Education and Learning is shown in day to day life. I bet there has to be some false misconceptions about Education and Career Work in Asia.

Asia is a very diverse area and not all of Asia is the same. There is a noticeable difference between China/South Korea/Japan vs. Taiwan/Singapore vs. India/Thailand/Vietnam for this topic. There is plenty of creative and entrepreneurial Asians in spirit and mind that are successful and donít go into Science/Mathematical/Technical related hobbies/interests and careers.

Outside of School Education and Career Work, there is definitely a vibrant, fun loving, easygoing leisure activities and entertainment side to Asia.
Definitely, I think the Koreans are a good case in point. They seem to work hard but also play hard. Korea's entertainment is a major export, and Seoul is probably one of the most fun cities in the world to be in. How Koreans manage to fit in so much work and play into their day I don't know lol.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 AM

424 posts, read 534,935 times
Even in rural South Korea they had new equipment and books, in better shape than we often have in the US and to have better infrastructure and supplies. It's a country of 50 million smaller than Pennsylvania, so it's easier to raise money for these things. For the last generation it's been a leader in technology and innovation, and it's used those companies to outfit their schools. Well, and they choose to spend their money on these things. Not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars fielding competitive sports teams like our schools.

Parents there also pay closer attention to what their kids do, and put a stronger emphasis on education. Not all, of course, but in a country that went from the poorest in the world to one of the wealthiest in two generations got there through the strength of its people . . . and they viewed education, hard work, and thrift as the biggest ways to do it. Certainly not values shared by too many over here.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 AM

22 posts, read 14,094 times
the condition of schools are very bad,,,only theory work is more no practicals...

Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,174 times
Default Teaching In South Korea

Good to hear SolitaryThrush's comments. I have been recruited by an Academy in the rural North of South Korea and the pictures they have sent me of the school's facilities are most impressive.
Have to make a decision by the end of July and it is looking very favorable.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,374,634 times
A couple points to raise...

A lot of the stereotypes that you'll hear about Asians and their studious nature in the West comes from the Asian population that has emigrated to the US, Canada, Australia, UK, etc. A disproportionate number of the people who emigrate to these countries are from a middle-class-or-higher, educated background: a villager from Gansu who wants to immigrate to the West is going to have a much harder time than someone who grew up in Shanghai and went to a university there. A lot of them have acumen, training, and experience in business and are well-equipped to make money once they're here, or they have medical, engineering, etc. experience from back home which they can't necessarily practice here from the get-go, but have opportunities to earn certifications here as well.

When it comes to children, educated parents raise educated kids. A couple who went to med school in China but move to the US and open a nail salon and a Vietnamese restaurant may not be practicing medicine, but it's fairly likely that their kids will be pushed to study and get into a good school so that they will be able to get into a top med school in the States and be working in an OR before they're 30.

Also, with China and Korea's economic boom, we are seeing an influx of young people moving to the US for school because they have the financial backing back home to study here. Many of them have the attitude that they are only moving here for school, and will move back home to work after the fact; they don't make American friends, or have any intention of integrating into American culture, so they don't go to parties, don't go to concerts, etc., and focus solely on their studies. A guy who was a long-haul trucker in Japan whose wife just likes collecting rock memorabilia and working a register who move to the US to be a long-haul trucker and work at a Daiso are probably less apt to push their kid to become a neurosurgeon than to learn to play guitar and just have fun and be cool.

You can also draw correlations between the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese populations who for the better part of the last century emigrated as individuals or families with some professional skills that they can apply towards Western life, and the Cambodian and Vietnamese populations that emigrated as refugees from violent wars: there aren't really any Japanese or Korean street gangs, and the ones that exist in the Chinese community are mainly centered on the drug trade rather than the 'hood, while there are bona-fide hustling, gun-toting, drive-by'ing street gangs in the Cambodian and Vietnamese communities. I don't say this to detract in any way at all from the huge number of people of Cambodian or Vietnamese heritage in this country who are studious and successful, but I think it's a fairly obvious discrepancy that could apply to any nationality that suddenly had to uproot and replant due to war.

We don't see very many truck drivers from Japan, cooks from Cambodia, or farmers from China make the move over here. There's no lack of people in Asia who are not studious, not well-educated, not driven or ambitious, and are content to just go "eh" and cruise on by indefinitely in whatever groove they've fallen into. We just don't see them as often.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 07-10-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or