U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,929,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybern View Post
Good to hear SolitaryThrush's comments. I have been recruited by an Academy in the rural North of South Korea and the pictures they have sent me of the school's facilities are most impressive.
Have to make a decision by the end of July and it is looking very favorable.
Science and Technology academy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,827,145 times
Regarding innovation, I think different countries have different ideas of what innovation constitutes and how they approach it. I see this from my perspective as a professional working in a high tech manufacturing industry.

In the West, innovation is typically seen in two lights scientifically: the broad study and categorization and extending the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leaps of genius. Personally, I think the USA and parts of Europe are the most suited for the latter due to the more freewheeling and generally parallel-thought processes that go on. Examples after WWII include jet engine technology, rockets, nuclear power, computers and software.

In the East, innovation is typically seen as extending the knowledge gained elsewhere and working together while having a cooperative theme under the guidance of an experienced teacher or master. I've seen this countless times while working with folks from Japan, to a lesser degree in China and India. The innovations they produce typically raise the bar in efficiency and speed, and seem more well thought-out in practical applications. Examples include the Zero fighter (a fearsome fighter until the Mustang and the P-38 came about), efficient firmware-based electronics and miniaturization, and robotics.

These are broad brush strokes of course. There are people from Asia who are wonderfully parallel-thought capable and give honest advice and opinions, especially in testing. Some of the test facilities I've seen in Asia are unparalleled. But when it comes to risk-taking and leaps of faith, they are hampered by their risk-adverse feelings. After WWII and more recently the boom in China, people believe that Japan and China had advances in innovation, but what they really did was apply and extended advances pioneered elsewhere to a green field where growth is assured and future competitiveness will happen through the more advanced industrial base. Toyota is a perfect example, in addition to the exemplary customer service (a typically Japanese trait).

I was talking to a guy from Shenzen once and he said that companies who used to do pioneering chip work in the USA and Europe were moving to China because they proved that the Chinese could design their own chips, but when it came to future architectures, such as quantum computing (like D-wave systems though that's technically quantum annealing) and genetic computation, the Chinese will simply copy that work and advance it in some way later on because Chinese students and engineers and managers are risk adverse and don't want to look bad lest lose their funding. He said the West has nothing to fear in terms of real innovation until Asia nurtures a more risk-taking entrepreneurial mindset. He lamented there was no such thing as an "incubator" as we know it in China; corporate bigwigs and government officials want what works now, aren't interested in much risk.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 PM

9,801 posts, read 13,414,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Regarding innovation, I think different countries have different ideas of what innovation constitutes and how they approach it. I see this from my perspective as a professional working in a high tech manufacturing industry.

In the West, innovation is typically seen in two lights scientifically: the broad study and categorization and extending the boundaries of knowledge, and the revolutionary leaps of genius. Personally, I think the USA and parts of Europe are the most suited for the latter due to the more freewheeling and generally parallel-thought processes that go on. Examples after WWII include jet engine technology, rockets, nuclear power, computers and software.

In the East, innovation is typically seen as extending the knowledge gained elsewhere and working together while having a cooperative theme under the guidance of an experienced teacher or master. I've seen this countless times while working with folks from Japan, to a lesser degree in China and India. The innovations they produce typically raise the bar in efficiency and speed, and seem more well thought-out in practical applications. Examples include the Zero fighter (a fearsome fighter until the Mustang and the P-38 came about), efficient firmware-based electronics and miniaturization, and robotics.

These are broad brush strokes of course. There are people from Asia who are wonderfully parallel-thought capable and give honest advice and opinions, especially in testing. Some of the test facilities I've seen in Asia are unparalleled. But when it comes to risk-taking and leaps of faith, they are hampered by their risk-adverse feelings. After WWII and more recently the boom in China, people believe that Japan and China had advances in innovation, but what they really did was apply and extended advances pioneered elsewhere to a green field where growth is assured and future competitiveness will happen through the more advanced industrial base. Toyota is a perfect example, in addition to the exemplary customer service (a typically Japanese trait).

I was talking to a guy from Shenzen once and he said that companies who used to do pioneering chip work in the USA and Europe were moving to China because they proved that the Chinese could design their own chips, but when it came to future architectures, such as quantum computing (like D-wave systems though that's technically quantum annealing) and genetic computation, the Chinese will simply copy that work and advance it in some way later on because Chinese students and engineers and managers are risk adverse and don't want to look bad lest lose their funding.
And this difference is certainly evident in the tech industry. Look at how many startups there are in the US. Many of them fail, but the entrepeneurs who found them often if not usually bounce back in short form with another idea, improved business model, new product, etc, and they often find funding again. It's almost expected in Silicon Valley that you'll fail and then try to start back up again. The idea of "face" as it applies in the East doesn't really come into the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or