U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'd say that title handily goes to Israel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Israel is the most secular and that is equal to Turkey, followed by Lebanon. Iran is a religious state.
I too think that Israel is the most westernized country in the Middle East. Turkey & Lebanon are also pretty westernized from what I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Hardly, I would think it would among the least, at least since the Iranian revolution of 1979.

Turkey, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, UAE, would be the most liberal/westernised, although we are talking about the Near East, after all. Israel is pretty secular by world standards though.

Like others have said, Iran still does have a large liberal contingent, and most of the ones who immigrate overseas do tend strongly to the liberal side.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 AM

185 posts, read 418,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I have interacted with over a dozen young Iranians. ALL of them drink alcohol and many eat pork.
Their girls dress like westerners and behave that way too.

It's quite different from what US media made me believe.
US media haha. you're late but welcome to the open-minded world. you'd be surprised though.. the people of Iran are just amazingly nice. but obviously if the US government wants to start a war with a country, its needs approval from the people, so they use the media to make them look horrible. all in all, iran is a lovely place. the women arn't half bad either is it the most 'westernised' country ? no.. that would be lebanon or UAE.

the difference between UAE and Lebanon is that UAE welcomes 'westerners' with open arms. i mean, they have EVERYTHING you'd find in the USA or UK, forever 21, starbucks, nando's.. they have it ALL which means you don't need to adjust or adapt your normal lifestyle. you can even drink and party as long as its done privately..

lebanon is more down-to-earth. you go there, and you have to adjust your lifestyle to fit in. doesn't matter WHERE you are from, its a different culture and you have to adjust. you don't get any special treatment like in UAE.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 AM

The UAE is probably deceptively 'liberal.' If they want to silence you or something, they have pretty strict laws on the books they can use anytime it's convenient.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,178,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The UAE is probably deceptively 'liberal.' If they want to silence you or something, they have pretty strict laws on the books they can use anytime it's convenient.
UAE has a sort of "dual system" of laws where expats are generally allowed to live according to Western values and customs (within certain limits of course) whereas natives are subject to Islamic law.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
What 'drover' said is correct. it does have a sort of "dual system" of law which is the native islamic law ie illegal to drink, blah blah.. and then there is the expat law, drink, party, go to fantastic clubs and bars etc etc

there was a time when freedom of press was an issue when it was still in development in the early 2000s but in today they can't really afford bad press. it is technically run by expats and tourists and if anything scared them off through unjust law, lack of freedom of speech, etc etc, they'd be on the first plane back and that has major consequence. i lived there for a few months and didn't have any law or freedom issues. i'm sure the 300k+ western expats living there alot longer than myself would say the same thing, otherwise they'd be back in the misery world of their native country too. haha

Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
UAE has a sort of "dual system" of laws where expats are generally allowed to live according to Western values and customs (within certain limits of course) whereas natives are subject to Islamic law.
True, but I've heard of cases of foreigners getting lengthy jail sentences for what we would consider 'minor' crimes. 80% of Dubai's population are South Indians, so it's a very different flavour to other Arabic cities.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
True, but I've heard of cases of foreigners getting lengthy jail sentences for what we would consider 'minor' crimes. 80% of Dubai's population are South Indians, so it's a very different flavour to other Arabic cities.
foreigners get deported for actual minor crimes... the cases of foreigners getting lengthy jail sentence is usually for not paying pay off debt .. it is considered 'minor' crime (or no crime at all) in the western world, but it is in UAE. come to think of it, we wouldn't have gone through the 2008 credit crunch if jail was the result of unpaid debt hahaha. why punish the whole country's economy and everyones lives for certain individual's carelessness with money, when you can punish the individual ?? its one of those laws that we SHOULD have in the western world, but we don't. we have a VERY soft legal system in the 'western' world. one example is abu qatada .. why has he not been deported yet ?? a case more personal to me was when one of my friend's bf attacked her, sending her to hospital.. and what did he get??.. a WARNING !!.. he was back on the street the next day. personally, there is a line of how much you can tolerate .. but GBH ?? and abu qatada, who is an al-qaeda member, can't get deported, and is hence, living on tax payers money ?? BS i say..

Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
Quote:
I heard the same thing from a former co-worker who lived and worked there for a couple of years.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,681 times
UAE is liberal by Middle Eastern/Muslim standards, but not really so by world standards. The laws for the native inhabitants are still very conservative - the only "liberal" laws only apply to Westerners/expats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or