U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah Singapore's nightlife isn't as free for all as Thailand. Even Malaysia doesn't do too badly if you know where to look. Boat and Clarke Quay are fun places to hang out at night, though, maybe they should make it more of a party destination. They've got some some good clubs in S'pore though.
I don't think it could ever become a party destination though, unless they could shave the prices off of a beer. I certainly notice that Singapore is trying though! Sentosa Island as well. Some really fun places to drink out there. Foam parties, swimming pools in the bars/clubs, etc. It's definitely fun...but just too damn expensive.

I think it would be more fun if it were isolated though. I can't recall the beer prices, but I'm thinking it was something like US$7-8 for one drink. So, if you drink 7-8 drinks, you're looking at $60. If you were to have a good weekend at it, you might be looking at $120 plus a hotel room two nights at $60, gettiing you up there to $240 for just the basics basics of a Friday/Saturday night. Meals might put you up there another $60 for a Friday night through Sunday afternoon. So suddenly it's a bare minimum of $300.

Than you look at Tiger Airways or Air Asia, and see cheap flights that would go to Manila or Bangkok or Bali or somewhere....rountrip for $100, and that $200 would go extremely far just next door.

Whenever I'm in Singapore, and same with anyone I know. They just can't hang there for more than a day or two, because one day in Singapore could give you the equivalent of 5 days in a country just next door, and a bit more fun as well.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't think it could ever become a party destination though, unless they could shave the prices off of a beer. I certainly notice that Singapore is trying though! Sentosa Island as well. Some really fun places to drink out there. Foam parties, swimming pools in the bars/clubs, etc. It's definitely fun...but just too damn expensive.

I think it would be more fun if it were isolated though. I can't recall the beer prices, but I'm thinking it was something like US$7-8 for one drink. So, if you drink 7-8 drinks, you're looking at $60. If you were to have a good weekend at it, you might be looking at $120 plus a hotel room two nights at $60, gettiing you up there to $240 for just the basics basics of a Friday/Saturday night. Meals might put you up there another $60 for a Friday night through Sunday afternoon. So suddenly it's a bare minimum of $300.

Than you look at Tiger Airways or Air Asia, and see cheap flights that would go to Manila or Bangkok or Bali or somewhere....rountrip for $100, and that $200 would go extremely far just next door.

Whenever I'm in Singapore, and same with anyone I know. They just can't hang there for more than a day or two, because one day in Singapore could give you the equivalent of 5 days in a country just next door, and a bit more fun as well.
Well alcohol prices don't stop places in Europe being party hot-spots, but then again Ibiza etc don't have the likes of Bangkok (which isn't all that cheap actually) for competition. I'm glad Singapore's nightlife isn't as trashy as Thailand's can be, though, but it's far from boring and lifeless at night. Singapore has quite a 24/7 culture on weekends, actually, too. Many of the hawker centres open late or even 24/7. Sentosa is still a bit up-market, and Orchard Road itself still seems more like a shopping place even though there are some clubs and pubs there.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or