Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China old women usually don't drink at all, but most men drink.
Wine is not as popular as baijiu or beer.

It is legal for children to drink (any age).
Considering China is the land of 1,000 laws that is really surprising.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Considering China is the land of 1,000 laws that is really surprising.
China does not have a lot of laws regarding children.
It is also perfectly legal to leave children alone at home.

In fact when I was a kid I was often left alone at home (though I am the only child).
However, almost every woman has a full time job and many people cannot afford baby sitters, so ...

Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times
Korea and Japan are the most westernized, and try to keep up with the rest of the western world, so the fact they drink more than the other east asian nations is not surprising.

Alcohol was used as a way to purify water. Do some of the indigenous tribes in the mountains of SE Asia still use this method, and what about the nomads?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Korea and Japan are the most westernized, and try to keep up with the rest of the western world, so the fact they drink more than the other east asian nations is not surprising.

Alcohol was used as a way to purify water. Do some of the indigenous tribes in the mountains of SE Asia still use this method, and what about the nomads?
Drinking is not just a western tradition.
It was very popular in ancient Asia.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Then why is the rate for Singapore so low? It seems too low, to be honest.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Drinking rate in Singapore may be low because of high cost of alcohol. Local beer like Tiger is app 9.00 US. Micro brews or imported as high as 15.00 US per bottle. A cheap bottle of wine like Yellow Tail that can be bought for 6.00 US here in CA is 30 bucks in Singapore.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Drinking rate in Singapore may be low because of high cost of alcohol. Local beer like Tiger is app 9.00 US. Micro brews or imported as high as 15.00 US per bottle. A cheap bottle of wine like Yellow Tail that can be bought for 6.00 US here in CA is 30 bucks in Singapore.
What? Didn't realise it was that bad. I thought I remember Tiger being comparable to here. Then again yeah I think alcohol tends to be pricey in Singapore.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China old women usually don't drink at all, but most men drink.
Wine is not as popular as baijiu or beer.

It is legal for children to drink (any age).
Chinese beer has a lower alcohol context than most Western beers (so I have been told). So although the beer bottles are large, one doesn't get drunk consuming just one bottle.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was surprised to learn that South Koreans consume more alcohol per capita per year than Australians! The Japanese also nearly as much as the US.

List of countries by alcohol consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, pretty much all the other Asian countries are much lower down the list. One that surprised me was Singapore. I thought Singaporeans would be among the biggest drinkers, being more westernised, but then again drinking doesn't seem a big part of Singaporean culture (more eating!).

The Muslim countries for obvious reasons, so I'll exclude them. Alcohol isn't a big thing in SE Asia and South Asia. Maybe the prevalence of Hinduism/Buddhism comes into it. In China, some people drink a lot but for many people alcohol just isn't a part of their daily lives like in the West.

Has alcohol just always been more a part of Korean/Japanese culture? Maybe spirits like soju and sake to warm oneself in the cold winters?

I know Japanese and Korean men do commonly partake in binge drinking, but what about the women?
South Korea: YES, they imbibe enormous amounts. Women as well. Many many college women that I've taught, have regularly told me that 'drinking' is one of their hobbies. They can usually outdrink men from other countries, quite easily. The nightlife in Korea goes until the sun comes up. It's very easy to drink until sunrise, as there are just so many people to drink with.

Japan: Yes, Japan does drink a lot as well. However, it's nothing compared to South Korea. I found Tokyo nightlife extremely boring and dull compared to Seoul. That doesn't mean that Tokyo is boring or dull. Generally, most all foreigners always rave highly about how amazing and fun Tokyo is. But, compared to Seoul, Tokyo feels very dull and boring. That's a testament to how much better Korean nightlife is, not a testament that Tokyo nightlife isn't good. It's good.

Singapore: I've been there about 5-6 times. I find the nightlife existant, but not fun. It's way too expensive. It's way too expensive in Japan as well, but there aren't any alternative in Japan. When you're in Singapore, you just start thinking how drinking would be a fraction of the price if you just stepped outside of that city-state. With Indonesia and Malaysia so close, and Thailand or the Philippines a budge airline away, it feels pointless to even drink in Singapore. Plus, most of those other SE Asian countries are just so much more fun.

Southeast Asia: Yeah, not popular in Malaysia anyways! It's incredibly popular in Vietnam though. They have extremely cheap beer options there. I'd say Vietnam might be the biggest drinkers of southeast Asia. They remind me of a distantly-related Korea in many ways. I think there would be average drinking interests in Thailand, the Philippines and such. Little in Laos and Malaysia. Indonesia has some amazingly fun nightlife, but I don't think most Indonesians drink though, on account of the islamic religion that predominates.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
South Korea: YES, they imbibe enormous amounts. Women as well. Many many college women that I've taught, have regularly told me that 'drinking' is one of their hobbies. They can usually outdrink men from other countries, quite easily. The nightlife in Korea goes until the sun comes up. It's very easy to drink until sunrise, as there are just so many people to drink with.

Japan: Yes, Japan does drink a lot as well. However, it's nothing compared to South Korea. I found Tokyo nightlife extremely boring and dull compared to Seoul. That doesn't mean that Tokyo is boring or dull. Generally, most all foreigners always rave highly about how amazing and fun Tokyo is. But, compared to Seoul, Tokyo feels very dull and boring. That's a testament to how much better Korean nightlife is, not a testament that Tokyo nightlife isn't good. It's good.

Singapore: I've been there about 5-6 times. I find the nightlife existant, but not fun. It's way too expensive. It's way too expensive in Japan as well, but there aren't any alternative in Japan. When you're in Singapore, you just start thinking how drinking would be a fraction of the price if you just stepped outside of that city-state. With Indonesia and Malaysia so close, and Thailand or the Philippines a budge airline away, it feels pointless to even drink in Singapore. Plus, most of those other SE Asian countries are just so much more fun.

Southeast Asia: Yeah, not popular in Malaysia anyways! It's incredibly popular in Vietnam though. They have extremely cheap beer options there. I'd say Vietnam might be the biggest drinkers of southeast Asia. They remind me of a distantly-related Korea in many ways. I think there would be average drinking interests in Thailand, the Philippines and such. Little in Laos and Malaysia. Indonesia has some amazingly fun nightlife, but I don't think most Indonesians drink though, on account of the islamic religion that predominates.
Yeah Singapore's nightlife isn't as free for all as Thailand. Even Malaysia doesn't do too badly if you know where to look. Boat and Clarke Quay are fun places to hang out at night, though, maybe they should make it more of a party destination. They've got some some good clubs in S'pore though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia