U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Only 300? That's surprisingly low. Do they mean 'full-blooded' Chinese? I remember hearing a figure of 100,000. How friendly was the Castro regime towards Communist China and vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,763,635 times
Reputation: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'd like to see the latest stats on Chinese in Vancouver...back in the late 90s my friend attended graduate school there and had mentioned about the influx of Chinese....many from HK. I wouldn't be surprised if it had the largest Chinese community in N. America now.
i don't know about the metro, but the entire province of british columbia only has 432,435 chinese people according to the last census. i'd imagine most are in the vancouver metro area. vancouver has some heavily chinese areas like richmond, but nothing comparable to the san gabriel valley in socal which has several cities with a higher percentage of chinese. if i had to guess i'd say greater LA has the most ethnic chinese people in north america, probably the only city that breaks the 1 million barrier (it's only number 3 in terms of of mainland chinese, but it has the largest southeast asian population by a huge margin and a good percentage of those are actually ethnic chinese).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 02:58 AM
 
Location: Derby, Western Australia
3,091 posts, read 3,535,141 times
Reputation: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
No doubt you have heard claims that the largest Chinese community outside of China itself (which includes other places in Asia) is San Francisco, or New York.

Even assuming Taiwan counts as part of China, wouldn't that title go to Singapore?
Yep, Singapore is the only country outside of China/Taiwan to have a majority of its population being of full Chinese descent.

Bangkok probably has the highest number of ethnic Chinese in total, but many are mixed with Thai and no longer speak Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
JL
 
7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i don't know about the metro, but the entire province of british columbia only has 432,435 chinese people according to the last census. i'd imagine most are in the vancouver metro area. vancouver has some heavily chinese areas like richmond, but nothing comparable to the san gabriel valley in socal which has several cities with a higher percentage of chinese. if i had to guess i'd say greater LA has the most ethnic chinese people in north america, probably the only city that breaks the 1 million barrier (it's only number 3 in terms of of mainland chinese, but it has the largest southeast asian population by a huge margin and a good percentage of those are actually ethnic chinese).
no doubt about this...i was just curious about chinese compared to vancouver though...i am aware that quite a few chinese and vietnamese moved out of california for the past 4-5 years to texas from my inner circle friends....then again, probably not that much when you look at the big picture. i guess vancouver hasn't grown as much as i thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
 
455 posts, read 915,587 times
Reputation: 438
Percentage wise Vancouver is definitely up there. I've heard the city proper is about 30% Chinese. The Greater Toronto Area would also be up there numerically at least in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i don't know about the metro, but the entire province of british columbia only has 432,435 chinese people according to the last census. i'd imagine most are in the vancouver metro area. vancouver has some heavily chinese areas like richmond, but nothing comparable to the san gabriel valley in socal which has several cities with a higher percentage of chinese. if i had to guess i'd say greater LA has the most ethnic chinese people in north america, probably the only city that breaks the 1 million barrier (it's only number 3 in terms of of mainland chinese, but it has the largest southeast asian population by a huge margin and a good percentage of those are actually ethnic chinese).
^ my last GF's family out in the SGV is Thai Chinese, refer to themselves as Chinese to Chinese people but Thai to everyone else, and speak Chinese at home. I also had a coworker/friend who had always referred to himself as Chinese, until one day I mentioned I was ordering Thai, and he was like, "oh cool! I'll order too! I'm Thai, I know this great place, I'll call and order for us."

And, in college, I dated another girl who was half Thai Chinese and she would alternately refer to herself as either depending on the situation.

I have no idea how any of them would have filled out the census, but it gives you some insight into how malleable ethic Chinese/national "other" can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
no doubt about this...i was just curious about chinese compared to vancouver though...i am aware that quite a few chinese and vietnamese moved out of california for the past 4-5 years to texas from my inner circle friends....then again, probably not that much when you look at the big picture. i guess vancouver hasn't grown as much as i thought.
I think its only thai-chinese who do that.....I know that chinese who migrated from the Philippines refer themselves as chinese....and distancing themselves from filipino migrants in the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
^ my last GF's family out in the SGV is Thai Chinese, refer to themselves as Chinese to Chinese people but Thai to everyone else, and speak Chinese at home. I also had a coworker/friend who had always referred to himself as Chinese, until one day I mentioned I was ordering Thai, and he was like, "oh cool! I'll order too! I'm Thai, I know this great place, I'll call and order for us."

And, in college, I dated another girl who was half Thai Chinese and she would alternately refer to herself as either depending on the situation.

I have no idea how any of them would have filled out the census, but it gives you some insight into how malleable ethic Chinese/national "other" can be.
Well it's like many Americans of Chinese-descent. They identify as both American and Chinese (or just Chinese American or American Chinese), they're not mutually exclusive. Having said that the Chinese, I think because of the large 'overseas community' or diaspora, still seem to have a strong sense of that...I would think many Thai with Chinese ancestry wouldn't really identify as 'Chinese', though, and if your girlfriend spoke Chinese instead of Thai at home they probably have not been in Thailand very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM
 
251 posts, read 547,043 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i don't know about the metro, but the entire province of british columbia only has 432,435 chinese people according to the last census. i'd imagine most are in the vancouver metro area. vancouver has some heavily chinese areas like richmond, but nothing comparable to the san gabriel valley in socal which has several cities with a higher percentage of chinese. if i had to guess i'd say greater LA has the most ethnic chinese people in north america, probably the only city that breaks the 1 million barrier (it's only number 3 in terms of of mainland chinese, but it has the largest southeast asian population by a huge margin and a good percentage of those are actually ethnic chinese).
Richmond is as heavily Chinese as Monterrey Park, the most Chinese city in the US. Not to mention Richmond has over quadruple the population!

Richmond is the cleanest, most modern Chinatown I've been to. Vancouver is very well planned, and the climate is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,763,635 times
Reputation: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
Richmond is as heavily Chinese as Monterrey Park, the most Chinese city in the US. Not to mention Richmond has over quadruple the population!

Richmond is the cleanest, most modern Chinatown I've been to. Vancouver is very well planned, and the climate is excellent.
oops, didnt see this. monterey park is one city among many with a large chinese population in the SGV. for comparison purposes let's combine cities to a similar population of richmond

moneterey park, alhambra, san gabriel: 183,076 total population, 82,275 ethnic chinese (44.9%)
richmond: 173,565, 75,725 total population - ethnic chinese (43.6%)
arcadia, san marino, rosemead, south san gabriel, temple city: 166,903 total population - 72,795 ethnic chinese (43.6%)

the chinatown might be nicer in richmond, i dunno ... i usually stay in richmond when i go to vancouver due to the cheaper hotels, dont think ive been to the chinatown in richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top