U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,065,336 times

Advertisements

If I were to visit a city in Pakistan, it would be Lahore - just full of colonial gems of the British Raj and the awesome monuments of the Mughal era.

As for Bangladesh, I'm more inclined to visit Chittagong. Looks less hectic and certainly more verdant and beautiful than Dhaka.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,540,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Most Americans have never heard of Dhaka much less point where it is on a map or name the country of which it is a capital.
I wouldn't think so. I think Australians are more familiar with Pakistan and Karachi because of their cricket team, while Bangladesh doesn't have an international cricket team, or at least one that is on the same level as Pakistan.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Most Americans have never heard of Dhaka much less point where it is on a map or name the country of which it is a capital.
Most Americans can't even locate all 50 states on the map, how do you expect them to know obscure cities like Karachi and Dhaka?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
If I were to visit a city in Pakistan, it would be Lahore - just full of colonial gems of the British Raj and the awesome monuments of the Mughal era.

As for Bangladesh, I'm more inclined to visit Chittagong. Looks less hectic and certainly more verdant and beautiful than Dhaka.
Yes i don't think Karachi offers much. I'm really more interested in Mohenjo-daro and Harappa, remnants of the ancient Indus valley civilisation.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes i don't think Karachi offers much. I'm really more interested in Mohenjo-daro and Harappa, remnants of the ancient Indus valley civilisation.
Those are probably the least visited and underrated ancient sites in the world. I'd love to visit the ancient Buddhist stupas and ruins in various sites of Pakistan too.

Karachi, from what I know, is the most cosmopolitan city in Pakistan, with the largest concentrations of Pakistani Hindu, Christian, and Sikh populations.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Those are probably the least visited and underrated ancient sites in the world. I'd love to visit the ancient Buddhist stupas and ruins in various sites of Pakistan too.

Karachi, from what I know, is the most cosmopolitan city in Pakistan, with the largest concentrations of Pakistani Hindu, Christian, and Sikh populations.
I agree. If they were India they'd be much more famous. Pakistan just doesn't get a lot of tourists.

Yes there are still a lot of stupas scattered throughout India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Did you visit Anuradhapura? It's hard to believe some of those stupas are over 2,000 years old.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 AM
kyh

Quote:
I agree. If they were India they'd be much more famous. Pakistan just doesn't get a lot of tourists.

Yes there are still a lot of stupas scattered throughout India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Did you visit Anuradhapura? It's hard to believe some of those stupas are over 2,000 years old.
No, I did not manage to visit most of the ancient sites in Sri Lanka, except Sigiriya (still one of the most impressive ancient sites I've ever been to). Wish my days in SL were longer, but that said, this gives me a reason to return in the future.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
No, I did not manage to visit most of the ancient sites in Sri Lanka, except Sigiriya (still one of the most impressive ancient sites I've ever been to). Wish my days in SL were longer, but that said, this gives me a reason to return in the future.
Definitely check out Anuradhapura. Those stupas are enormous in size too, and at one time were the tallest buildings in the ancient world after the pyramids! Pollanaruwa also.

Sri Lanka is an underrated gem.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,493,914 times
Quote:
I wouldn't think so. I think Australians are more familiar with Pakistan and Karachi because of their cricket team, while Bangladesh doesn't have an international cricket team, or at least one that is on the same level as Pakistan.
Cricket? We don't get cricket news here Tri so why would we know where Bangladesh is located?
Trust me as a native born American, the majority of Americans will not know where Dhaka or Bangladesh is located.....

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,493,914 times
Quote:
Most Americans can't even locate all 50 states on the map, how do you expect them to know obscure cities like Karachi and Dhaka?
They would probably be able to do all 50 states before they can locate Bangladesh or Pakistan. Funny on E 6th street in NYC, Little India, many of the Indian restaurants are actually run by Bangladeshis (or at least I was told). They can't call them Bangladeshi restaurants as people would not go (not sure what that would mean). LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or