U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,095,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well it used to be British colony like Singapore right ?
True, but Hong Kong is a definite blending of Chinese (traditional culture/heritage, food, language) and British (legal system, liberal economics, ability to queue). The old lion/dragon flag of colonial Hong Kong is a perfect symbol.

Singapore much more heavily tended towards British influence. Some 1/3 of the population is foreign born, and its ethnic majority, Chinese, was imported over the last few centuries. It developed a very independent culture, much as the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand developed their own cultures (not a perfect analogy, but Singapore is very unique).

As per the main topic though, English ability was very low in HK, I found. English as a de jure official language seems like more of a formality more useful/relevant to tourists and foreign businesspersons. I found English ability concentrated to 4 and 5* hotels (especially in Central, Admirality, and TST for obvious reasons), high end boutiques in TST and Central, and restaurants.

Without basic Cantonese, one would spend a fortune over a long period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:32 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
from what i've experienced, the vast majority of ppl in HK were never able to speak English to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
When you visit Hong Kong, you should realize that you are in China where Chinese is the official language.
From 1883 to 1974, English was the ONLY official language. Since 1974, it's been English and Cantonese.

I think both of you are arguing that English was never there, or shouldn't be there? Not sure your arguments. But 'English as an Official Language of Hong Kong' is the 'elephant in the room' you'll have to address to argue your points through.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-30-2013 at 12:45 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,492,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
True, but Hong Kong is a definite blending of Chinese (traditional culture/heritage, food, language) and British (legal system, liberal economics, ability to queue). The old lion/dragon flag of colonial Hong Kong is a perfect symbol.

Singapore much more heavily tended towards British influence. Some 1/3 of the population is foreign born, and its ethnic majority, Chinese, was imported over the last few centuries. It developed a very independent culture, much as the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand developed their own cultures (not a perfect analogy, but Singapore is very unique).

As per the main topic though, English ability was very low in HK, I found. English as a de jure official language seems like more of a formality more useful/relevant to tourists and foreign businesspersons. I found English ability concentrated to 4 and 5* hotels (especially in Central, Admirality, and TST for obvious reasons), high end boutiques in TST and Central, and restaurants.

Without basic Cantonese, one would spend a fortune over a long period of time.
English ability in HK has dropped, too, but Cantonese was the lingua franca for the majority of Hong Kongers. I have no idea how many can speak it legibly as a second language, let alone fluently though. Anyone hazard a guess? From my visit in 2006, it seemed actually the majority couldn't hold a conversation.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
English ability in HK has dropped, too, but Cantonese was the lingua franca for the majority of Hong Kongers. I have no idea how many can speak it legibly as a second language, let alone fluently though. Anyone hazard a guess? From my visit in 2006, it seemed actually the majority couldn't hold a conversation.
In the late 1990s, was when the massive diaspora fled to cities like Vancouver, London, etc., just before the change-over.

I don't know what immigration laws were like in Canada in the 1990s, but generally speaking, you have to be very well-educated and a high English profiency, otherwise you simply aren't getting in.

While I'm not saying that everyone who spoke English left HK, I wouldn't be surprised if a noticeable dent of them did exactly that.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In the late 1990s, was when the massive diaspora fled to cities like Vancouver, London, etc., just before the change-over.

I don't know what immigration laws were like in Canada in the 1990s, but generally speaking, you have to be very well-educated and a high English profiency, otherwise you simply aren't getting in.

While I'm not saying that everyone who spoke English left HK, I wouldn't be surprised if a noticeable dent of them did exactly that.
Quite a few Cantonese here don't speak that great English, same with Vietnamese, but of course they can converse.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 AM

843 posts, read 1,380,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
From 1883 to 1974, English was the ONLY official language. Since 1974, it's been English and Cantonese.

I think both of you are arguing that English was never there, or shouldn't be there? Not sure your arguments. But 'English as an Official Language of Hong Kong' is the 'elephant in the room' you'll have to address to argue your points through.
Not many Chinese in Hong Kong spoke fluent English between 1883 and 1974, only British people and well educated local people were proficient in English. English was for ruling elites only.

If most Hong Kong residents spoke good English like Americans before 1974, their offsprings wouldn't "lose" English proficiency within a few decades. By the way, Americans speak perfect English but the U.S has no official language.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM

843 posts, read 1,380,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well it used to be British colony like Singapore right ?
Yes, but Hong Kong residents are Chinese. The native language there is Chinese(Cantonsese).

Singapore doesn't have its own culture and language, it's a country primarily made up of Chinese, Malaysians and Indians. Since they don't have their own culture and language, they are more than willing to adopt English as their primary language.

Unlike Singapore, Hong Kong has soul and heart. Singapore is no more than an efficient machine with no character.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, but Hong Kong residents are Chinese. The native language there is Chinese(Cantonsese).

Singapore doesn't have its own culture and language, it's a country primarily made up of Chinese, Malaysians and Indians. Since they don't have their own culture and language, they are more than willing to adopt English as their primary language.

Unlike Singapore, Hong Kong has soul and heart. Singapore is no more than an efficient machine with no character.
Who said Singapore had no culture? Well I'd say it's more like Malaysian culture. Malaysian food is unique to Malaysia. There's the Baba/Nyonya culture also found in Singapore. Singaporean culture is as real as American culture. HK is much a product of colonialism as Singapore. Before the British came it was a tiny fishing village.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM

90 posts, read 177,972 times
Singapore is a hodgepodge of various ethnic groups with a Chinese majority. Hong Kong is predominantly Chinese. English therefore is much more useful as the official language of Singapore than Hong Kong. Most people could speak Cantonese in Hong Kong anyway so there is much less incentive to learn a new language.

Anyway as for the topic people in Hong Kong wasn't much better at speaking English prior to the handover than now.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,862,101 times
Quote:

Singapore used to belong to Malaysia so they already have the Malaysian culture before it became the Singapore that we know now. Plus, it is blended with Chinese and Indian culture. I think being blended with different cultures gives it more character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or