U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Geez that does sound horrible! What is your field?

Singaporean women are not really known for their beauty although some are pretty good looking.
Architecture.

I'm actually a sucker for natural beauty - I prefer plain to little makeups than a face splashed with a bucket of paint. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Architecture.

I'm actually a sucker for natural beauty - I prefer plain to little makeups than a face splashed with a bucket of paint. :P
Interesting, I didn't think most architects worked such late shifts! What is your opinion of the architecture of Singapore? Do you find the HDB flats a bit monotonous? Which part of the city are you staying in?

Me too. A lot of younger Singaporean girls do wear a lot of makeup. For my mother's generation it wasn't as commonplace though.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,589 times
Quote:
Interesting, I didn't think most architects worked such late shifts! What is your opinion of the architecture of Singapore? Do you find the HDB flats a bit monotonous? Which part of the city are you staying in?

Me too. A lot of younger Singaporean girls do wear a lot of makeup. For my mother's generation it wasn't as commonplace though.
Singapore has dense cityscape, which makes for great photo opportunities, but it lacks the wow-factor in its individual architecture (except for Marina Bay). HDB areas are like Soviet territory hahaha! Kinda depressing and creepy with its stark monotony - if you get what I mean. Am staying in the central region, Toa Payoh.

Singaporeans, be it guys or girls, are self-conscious of their looks wherever they go. Girls must wear makeups and dress sexily, while guys hit the gyms and are out there to show off their bulges.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
Singapore has dense cityscape, which makes for great photo opportunities, but it lacks the wow-factor in its individual architecture (except for Marina Bay). HDB areas are like Soviet territory hahaha! Kinda depressing and creepy with its stark monotony - if you get what I mean. Am staying in the central region, Toa Payoh.

Singaporeans, be it guys or girls, are self-conscious of their looks wherever they go. Girls must wear makeups and dress sexily, while guys hit the gyms and are out there to show off their bulges.
Haha, yes it's getting that way. Do you find Singaporeans very consumeristic/materialistic? I'd be curious to hear about your experiences working in Singapore and how it compares to Malaysia. I think it's partly a stereotype, many Singaporeans aren't materialistic at all and not all are happy with the idea of working their arse off just to get a nice condo.etc.

I actually think the high-rises aren't as stark as the projects in the US, UK, or eastern Europe or China, because of the greenery and the fact there's a real sense of community in these little 'towns.' Like the Town of Marine Parade where my grandmother lives is like it's own little town. There are also lots of shops, hawker centres at the base which makes it pretty lively, as well as community amenities and facilities, well-manicured gardens and stuff. Life in Singapore revolves around the HDB complexes, there's something very comfortable about it.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,004,823 times
The first time I visited Singapore I admit I wasn't at all impressed with the women there. But when I went back like 15 years later...WOW!!! I don't know what happened, but it was like night and day.

Quote:
I've been told that there will be lots of OTs (a norm in my field, and often way past 12am!). Ok, sounds quite horrible. LOL.

They (esp the younger women) definitely wear a lot less and more revealing than their counterparts in the neighbouring countries. As for beauty though, I find the majority not much different from what I've seen in my country and other parts of SEA, just more daring outfits and lotsa makeups. :P
Quote:
Geez that does sound horrible! What is your field?

Singaporean women are not really known for their beauty although some are pretty good looking.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,299 times
Just my 2 cents worth -

Singapore is really to crowded to be pleasant. It has probably the second highest population density in the world. Public transportation is bursting at the seams and traffic jams are now commonplace. Have you considered Thailand? Bangkok, or one of the quieter provinces?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 AM

110 posts, read 215,739 times
I have lived in Singapore for just over 3 years and because its very diverse for an Asian country you will see some lovely women from all over I have had a lot of fun here dating and still do have fun but to have a relationship well lets just say that's where things get very complicated indeed.

As for Singapore its a very sterile city that lacks the vibe you get from other large cities around Asia or the west, after 3yrs I am looking forward to hopefully leaving soon.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 AM

6,633 posts, read 8,330,102 times
Quote:
Good luck in your future, wherever you may land yourself in.

Meanwhile, I've just accepted a job offer in Singapore and will commence my working life soon (and am writing this from the city state atm). So far so good - transportation is a breeze, and the streets are safe to roam even way past midnight (ok this is public news).
Congratulations on this new chapter in your life!

Singapore is an awesome city, plenty going on for anyone. Good luck with the transition and well into your future!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,055,454 times
I also miss living in Asia (East Asia for me) greatly. But in a way I still live there since the building I live in is mostly East Asians. It is like a small town peaceful and friendly everytime I walk out into the "means streets of Chicago I make sure i have my passport with me in case I have trouble getting back into the building.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 AM

20 posts, read 33,506 times
Now i am live in india.But i am very interest to live in Singapore and Tokiya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or