U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,611,101 times

Advertisements

I think Korea is somehow overshadowed by China, Russia and Japan.
Vietnam is a powerful country in SE Asia, although it is overshadowed by China.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:21 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Confucianism, drinking culture, immense national pride, etc.

Korea and Vietnam have a soul connection. I lived in Korea for many years, and instantly felt very familiar with Vietnamese culture, as I had experienced so much of it from Korean culture already. It was uncanny.
Vietnam doesn't have a 'drinking culture.' Alcohol consumption per capita is way down the list. According to my Vietnamese friend a lot of young people rarely drink.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM

I should also add the obvious that both were conquered by China for long periods.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Do the people generally have the same character?
I haven't met enough Vietnamese or Koreans to make broad generalisations of my own, but I've met friendly people from both countries. Both are very family-orientated, and women in both countries seem to have a strength of character despite a male-dominated aspect. Vietnam actually seems quite matriarchal in some ways, I'm not sure if it's the same in Korea. Maybe it's because it's in SE Asia as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 PM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think Korea is somehow overshadowed by China, Russia and Japan.
Vietnam is a powerful country in SE Asia, although it is overshadowed by China.
I definitely feel that Vietnam will be a powerful country in Southeast Asia. They have immense work ethics quite like Koreans.

It's a stark contrast when you cross the border into Cambodia, and see everyone 'lazing around'. Whereas in Vietnam, you'll regularly hear the roar of motorbikes from sunrise to sunset, with everyone trying to make a buck with every ounce of strength they have.

That being said, when I think of 'power' and Southeast Asia, I tend to think of Thailand and Malaysia as the drivers of the region. (I'm excluding Singapore though from that comparisons list).

Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 PM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Vietnam doesn't have a 'drinking culture.' Alcohol consumption per capita is way down the list. According to my Vietnamese friend a lot of young people rarely drink.
I don't think most Vietnamese can afford the manufactured '333' or 'ba-ba-ba' Vietnamese brands of beer. That being said, on the streets of Vietnam, they have little 'home brew' types of beer absolutely everywhere. Most of the locals could never afford the expat bars, but they'd still regularly drink on the street corners.

I don't have any photos of this myself, but could quickly find one on the internet. Are we allowed to post a picture not are own, but than reference the origin?

But, anyways, beer is extremely cheap in these little corner streets, and I regularly saw young Vietnamese sitting around drinking and talking with beer that was probably not more than 10 American cents.

When I think about it, it was nowhere never the level of drunkenness I'd see anywhere in South Korea, but few places in Asia are though.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,670,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've read some translations/condensations of Vietnamese stories/folk-tales, and a common theme is a married woman prostrating herself totally to her mother in law. The mother in law expects total obedience from her, even to the point of killing her. Also seen a few movies exploring this theme, so it seems a part of Vietnamese culture. They really take ideas of honour, knowing your place and loyalty to the next level. There's definitely a brutality to the Confucian system, that's for sure. In ancient China I hear it was legal for fathers to kill their disobedient children .
I never heard Confucius advocating killing of any sort. There's no sense of "legality" in most ancient civilizations though. If the monarch wants you dead for whatever reason including disobeying him, then you're dead.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I don't think most Vietnamese can afford the manufactured '333' or 'ba-ba-ba' Vietnamese brands of beer. That being said, on the streets of Vietnam, they have little 'home brew' types of beer absolutely everywhere. Most of the locals could never afford the expat bars, but they'd still regularly drink on the street corners.

I don't have any photos of this myself, but could quickly find one on the internet. Are we allowed to post a picture not are own, but than reference the origin?

But, anyways, beer is extremely cheap in these little corner streets, and I regularly saw young Vietnamese sitting around drinking and talking with beer that was probably not more than 10 American cents.

When I think about it, it was nowhere never the level of drunkenness I'd see anywhere in South Korea, but few places in Asia are though.
Yes I'm not saying alcohol isn't common, alcohol is common enough everywhere, but there's not a culture of binge drinking or for many Vietnamese even really drinking much at all. You don't see much public drunkenness and that sort of thing, although I did see a street-fight.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
I definitely feel that Vietnam will be a powerful country in Southeast Asia. They have immense work ethics quite like Koreans.

It's a stark contrast when you cross the border into Cambodia, and see everyone 'lazing around'. Whereas in Vietnam, you'll regularly hear the roar of motorbikes from sunrise to sunset, with everyone trying to make a buck with every ounce of strength they have.

That being said, when I think of 'power' and Southeast Asia, I tend to think of Thailand and Malaysia as the drivers of the region. (I'm excluding Singapore though from that comparisons list).
That's another thing. I like to describe Vietnam as a 'nation of shopkeepers' where every family seems to live in a shophouse. Koreans often seem to start up small businesses when they migrate too. I don't think there are many Koreans her but I see tons of Korean shops nowadays.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
JL

7,354 posts, read 11,888,807 times
reverence of elders and national pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or