U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times

Advertisements

Vietnam and South Korea might have some parallels/similarities, but they have more differences than similarities.

The differences between South Korea and Vietnam:

Vietnam has French historic connections and quite a bit of French influence in Vietnam for some architecture, caf bars scene, a huge amount of Vietnamese people that immigrated to France and have connections to family in Vietnam, and maybe also the film movies scene. South Korea does not have any of that French influence.

South Korea is a mixed religion country for popularity of Buddhism and Christianity. The most popular religion in South Korea is surprisingly Christianity. There is also a lot of Secular/Non-Religious South Koreans. Vietnam is almost entirely Buddhist and has very different religious and spiritual demographics compared to South Korea.

South Korea is technically economically wealthier than Vietnam.

Tropical scenery in Vietnam vs. 4 seasons climate in most of South Korea.

The Vietnamese personality is more open, easier to get to know, less serious, while also being more of a mix of introverted+extroverted, and shows another kind of personality compared to South Koreans.

South Korea has to deal with the very tense neighboring country of North Korea. Vietnam does not have any bad, lunatic neighbors to that level.

School Education and Job Careers in Vietnam is a bit more easygoing, relaxing, and a different lifestyle compared to the more workaholic South Koreans.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Interesting comparisons, I can definitely see it.

I'm curious as to which of these countries people would prefer to visit? Which culture is more interesting to them?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting comparisons, I can definitely see it.

I'm curious as to which of these countries people would prefer to visit? Which culture is more interesting to them?
I spent 6-7 years in Korea, and 2 months in Vietnam.

Vietnam is definitely a much more interesting culture. Korea is interesting too, as anywhere is, but Vietnam is more interesting.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I spent 6-7 years in Korea, and 2 months in Vietnam.

Vietnam is definitely a much more interesting culture. Korea is interesting too, as anywhere is, but Vietnam is more interesting.
Interesting, why did you find Vietnam more interesting?

In some ways I find Thai culture more interesting as it seems more unique, whereas Vietnam is so Chinese influenced.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting, why did you find Vietnam more interesting?

In some ways I find Thai culture more interesting as it seems more unique, whereas Vietnam is so Chinese influenced.
In Vietnam, I felt like I was seeing 'Asia' through all the Vietnam War films...i.e. people with the Vietnames style hats, the balancing the two things with the stick on the shoulders, etc. The cylco drivers waiting at intersections. It just had a very romantic Asia of my childhood look to it.

On top of that, I also loved the French colonial architecture everywhere, the Vietnamese food, and just the gorgeous landscapes of mountains and ocean all along the country.

I also found South Korea to be quite 'exotic' as well, but in a different way. It has a mix of new and old, but overall more modern look of something different. Whereas Vietnam just 'hit' with this romantic image of Asia that I'd carried around since childhood.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In Vietnam, I felt like I was seeing 'Asia' through all the Vietnam War films...i.e. people with the Vietnames style hats, the balancing the two things with the stick on the shoulders, etc. The cylco drivers waiting at intersections. It just had a very romantic Asia of my childhood look to it.

On top of that, I also loved the French colonial architecture everywhere, the Vietnamese food, and just the gorgeous landscapes of mountains and ocean all along the country.

I also found South Korea to be quite 'exotic' as well, but in a different way. It has a mix of new and old, but overall more modern look of something different. Whereas Vietnam just 'hit' with this romantic image of Asia that I'd carried around since childhood.
Ah yes I know what you mean. Vietnam still has that old world feel to it. I saw videos of Saigon in the 60s and it didn't look THAT different. You don't really see those conical hats in China anymore. Korea has changed a lot more also, but Vietnam is booming right now, so in 10-15 years it could be unrecogniseable. Now might be the last time you can see the 'old Vietnam.'

Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 14,620 times
I am a Vietnam should also see autocorrelation from culture to lifestyle correlated with each other, thanks

Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 11,852 times
difference: korea has more capital to invest such places like vietnam, indonesia, etc. modern constructions in vietnam are most likely from samsung/hyundai construction industry.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Having visited both, I can't see any similarity at all, in any aspect of either country.

It would probably be just as easy to find the same compelling similarities between Canada and Cuba, which are both Christian-ethic countries speaking Latinic languages, and both were originally developed by European colonists, and both start with the letter C and have their capitals in the same time zone. Both, through the 1970s, had heads of state who were leftists who had been educated at American universities, and who both have a direct heir who is now leader of a political party. There is still a close link, as Cuba is the most popular vacation destination of Canadians.

After that, the similarity quickly vanishes, just as does Korea and VIetnam.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-18-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Having visited both, I can't see any similarity at all, in any aspect of either country.

It would probably be just as easy to find the same compelling similarities between Canada and Cuba, which are both Christian-ethic countries speaking Latinic languages, and both were originally developed by European colonists, and both start with the letter C and have their capitals in the same time zone. Both, through the 1970s, had heads of state who were leftists who had been educated at American universities, and who both have a direct heir who is now leader of a political party. There is still a close link, as Cuba is the most popular vacation destination of Canadians.

After that, the similarity quickly vanishes, just as does Korea and VIetnam.
Did you even read the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or