U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Did you even read the OP?
Of course not. Did you? If I had read it, I would have known that the OP didn't say anything about religious or cultural or linguistic or political or historical similarities, and that addressing the relevance of such similarities would have nothing to do with the point..

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Of course not. Did you? If I had read it, I would have known that the OP didn't say anything about religious or cultural or linguistic or political or historical similarities, and that addressing the relevance of such similarities would have nothing to do with the point..

Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Vietnam and South Korea might have some parallels/similarities, but they have more differences than similarities.

The differences between South Korea and Vietnam:

Vietnam has French historic connections and quite a bit of French influence in Vietnam for some architecture, caf bars scene, a huge amount of Vietnamese people that immigrated to France and have connections to family in Vietnam, and maybe also the film movies scene. South Korea does not have any of that French influence.

South Korea is a mixed religion country for popularity of Buddhism and Christianity. The most popular religion in South Korea is surprisingly Christianity. There is also a lot of Secular/Non-Religious South Koreans. Vietnam is almost entirely Buddhist and has very different religious and spiritual demographics compared to South Korea.

South Korea is technically economically wealthier than Vietnam.

Tropical scenery in Vietnam vs. 4 seasons climate in most of South Korea.

The Vietnamese personality is more open, easier to get to know, less serious, while also being more of a mix of introverted+extroverted, and shows another kind of personality compared to South Koreans.

South Korea has to deal with the very tense neighboring country of North Korea. Vietnam does not have any bad, lunatic neighbors to that level.

School Education and Job Careers in Vietnam is a bit more easygoing, relaxing, and a different lifestyle compared to the more workaholic South Koreans.
Actually Vietnam is 6% Christian, which while not that high is higher than it's SEA neighbours. For comparison Thailand is only 0.7% Christian. Plus there are some towns which seem dominated by Catholicism. Plus as in Korea, Confucianism/Daoism/Buddhism (triple religion) is probably more common than pure Buddhism.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 PM

5,599 posts, read 2,906,513 times
They both are known to consume dog meat.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They both are known to consume dog meat.
Indeed. Dog meat consumption in Hanoi is quite obvious even to a tourist if you have a guide to point it out. In Korea I remember they tried to clean it up for the 1988 Seoul Olympic games.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,184,709 times
I have heard that Koreans (mostly the younger generation) are now starting to see Dogs more as pets as opposed to food and there are very few restaurants in South Korea that serve dog meat.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I have heard that Koreans (mostly the younger generation) are now starting to see Dogs more as pets as opposed to food and there are very few restaurants in South Korea that serve dog meat.
Yeah it will probably either die out or greatly reduce, especially as Korea modernises.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 PM

59 posts, read 87,001 times
You know...in Korea we don't like catch dogs in the street and eat them (though I've not eaten dogs at all). They are farm raised in similar gross conditions like chickens and pigs for consumption. But yes, consumption is going down because the social stigma. Even the French ate dog about 100 years ago.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,184,709 times
I have heard they do that in Vietnam though, which is why I have no plans to visit that country as of currently.

Vietnam

Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 AM

201 posts, read 265,049 times
With regards to dog meat consumption, I don't think Asians should feel ashamed because the "man's best friend" concept is a Western idea/invention.

How do you think Hindus feel when they come to the U.S. and see Americans enjoying their 100% beef hamburgers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or