U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,252,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
With regards to dog meat consumption, I don't think Asians should feel ashamed because the "man's best friend" concept is a Western idea/invention.

How do you think Hindus feel when they come to the U.S. and see Americans enjoying their 100% beef hamburgers?
Yeah being mans best friend is about their value to us, it's not a good reason imo to say its more wrong to eat dogs than other similarly intelligent animals.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 AM

151 posts, read 223,420 times
Both people like Pho. However, Vietnam is economically/technologically 30 years behind South Korea.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:50 PM

201 posts, read 265,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
Both people like Pho. However, Vietnam is economically/technologically 30 years behind South Korea.
One would think most (if not all) of Southeast Asia is economically/technologically 30 years behind East Asia.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
One would think most (if not all) of Southeast Asia is economically/technologically 30 years behind East Asia.
Singapore is the most obvious exception, but Malaysia and Bangkok are in some ways as hi tech as anywhere in East Asia. If not for corruption I believe Malaysia would be as wealthy as South Korea or Taiwan today.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM

949 posts, read 612,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
How do you define "behind"? A lack of enough shiny new skyscrapers, luxury foreign cars, designer-clothing clad locals, each clutching the latest technological gadgets? The annoying presence of centuries old tombs embedded in the rice paddies that still need to be bull-dozed, dug up, and filled in for the construction of the next new shiny building that is a testament to "progress"? The continuing tremendous gap between the few, elite, haves and the majority have nots?

Can't wait until VN transforms itself into a replica of S. Korea, Singapore, and other similarly "advanced" Asian societies.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 PM

183 posts, read 210,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I should also add the obvious that both were conquered by China for long periods.
Where do people find the information to make such crazy statements?
Korea was NEVER occupied by China, NOT ONCE. There was a period in our history, the Goguryeo kingdom era when Korea conquered large parts of China.
The only foreign occupation of the Korean penninsula throughout our 5000 year history was during the Japanese occupation of WWII, which was such a blow to our national pride that we still cringe at hearing the word 'Japan' until this date.
Until WWII Koreans have always thought of Japan as an uncivilized island nation out there in the sea and looked down upon it.
Koreans did always have a respect for China though, admitting it as the center of culture.

But I do not see any similarities between Korea and Vietnam at all...geographically, culturally, ethnically.
But perhaps it's because I have never been to Vietnam.

Last edited by Tdiva; 03-24-2014 at 10:01 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Where do people find the information to make such crazy statements?
Korea was NEVER occupied by China, NOT ONCE. There was a period in our history, the Goguryeo kingdom era when Korea conquered large parts of China.
The only foreign occupation of the Korean penninsula throughout our 5000 year history was during the Japanese occupation of WWII, which was such a blow to our national pride that we still cringe at hearing the word 'Japan' until this date.
Until WWII Koreans have always thought of Japan as an uncivilized island nation out there in the sea and looked down upon it.
Koreans did always have a respect for China though, admitting it as the center of culture.

But I do not see any similarities between Korea and Vietnam at all...geographically, culturally, ethnically.
But perhaps it's because I have never been to Vietnam.
Did you not read the OP? Perhaps you could address each point individually.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM

183 posts, read 210,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Did you not read the OP? Perhaps you could address each point individually.
I did. And thought it was weird to compare two countries so far apart.
It's like comparing Spain and Greece and say they are similar because both were influenced by the Roman Empire and situated around the Mediterranean Sea.

I cannot name similarities because I have never been to Vietnam. I have met several Vietnamese people in my life, and didn't think they were similar to Koreans very much.
They did speak with great pain about the Vietnam War, but that was different from the grudges that Koreans feel towards Japan, or North Korea.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
Quote:
It's like comparing Spain and Greece and say they are similar because both were influenced by the Roman Empire and situated around the Mediterranean Sea.

I cannot name similarities because I have never been to Vietnam. I have met several Vietnamese people in my life, and didn't think they were similar to Koreans very much.
They did speak with great pain about the Vietnam War, but that was different from the grudges that Koreans feel towards Japan, or North Korea.
@TDIVA:

Geographically and ethnically the two countries are very different.

However, they are united by one thing, in that both were heavily influenced by Chinese culture and language.

Vietnamese society is very confucian and there is a lot of respect for elders, extended family, and there is traditionally ancestor worship. There is also a massive emphasis in education, like in Korea, which originates in Confucianism.

Both observe the Chinese/lunar new year, although it is called different things in both countries (Seollal vs. Tet).

Both languages, while very different, both borrowed tons of Chinese vocabulary.

Hence, there are lots of similar words. For example: Republic (gonghwa vs. cong hoa), Airline (hanggong vs. hang khong), Culture (munhwa vs. van hoa). The list goes on and on. (I am not saying that Korean and Vietnamese are related languages, they are very different---> they just both borrowed from Chinese, that's all).

Also, just as most Korean names are writable in Chinese characters/hanja, most Vietnamese names are writable in characters too, although the latin alphabet has replaced it. Vietnamese people used adapted Chinese characters to write until the French colonial era.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:

The similarities were mentioned. Chinese influence, political influence (come on, what other Asian countries were split into a communist north/capitalist south and wars fought over?), the society...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or